• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone on V is suited for Sue Storm, it's Elizabeth Mitchell.

And yes, those of you planning to bring it up, I do know how old she is. I just don't care. :)

Elizabeth is annoying as hell. I hate the way she purses her lips whenever she's...well, awake. :rolleyes:

I think Fox should make a clean break and not have anyone from the previous movie series in this new series, at all.

Oh, I was not suggesting they recast her as Crystal, I was saying she should have never been Sue in the first place, but rather played the Inhuman.

Wasn't that the good thing about TIH - you could look at it as a sequel or a "reboot" - it works both ways.

So why not with the FF? If you start with them as the FF, recap the origin in the credits if need be, and them move ahead from there - it can be a sequel, but with the new cast and slight changes here and there [like in TIH] it can be viewed as a "reboot" as well.

Again, looking at TASM - what did they gain from retelling his origin? NOTHING. They just wasted about an hour of screen time that could have been used else where. Any information we were given before he puts on the costume [like finding his dad's notes, and the prologue of his parents leaving him with Ben and May] could have been told as either flashbacks or with out Ben's involvement. All Ben did was screw up the "with great power comes great responsibility" moment.

I agree. The biggest distraction of Spider-Man to me was the re-telling of the story we all knew already (and not just comic-geeks like us, but the millions who had seen the first set of films).

It is a little different with the FF since their origin is less broadly known and since the first film screwed it up so much, but I have an issue with the idea that every comic-based film seems to feel they need to start with the origin.

Any good story has a back-story that can be shown as necessary and doesn't need to be the first thing we see. Even FF#1 didn't start with the origin. We saw the characters with their powers and then the origin was told in flash-back. revealing elements of the back-story gradually as the story progresses can be a key element to keeping the viewer interested and engaged. "Wow! Look at these people with these amazing powers. I wonder how they got that way?"

I think the most important thing is to communicate to the audience that it ISN'T based on the previous films, but after that's done, how much of the origin is shown should be determined by the story - not a sense of: "I guess we have to start before they get their powers, spend half the movie showing them getting their powers and dealing with them, and then will rush some battle with a villain at the end . . . because that's the way we have to do it with a film like this."

Sort of off-topic, but to illustrate the point, in the trilogy I'm currently writing, the 'origin' is the big mystery of the whole story. The first two books have been spent revealing clues to what has actually happened, but the details won't be revealed until the final book that I'm writing now. If the FF was a completely unkown property, it could make a very compelling story to just let the viewer in on bits and pieces as they go. But with as well as they are known at least to people like us, that's more difficult to do - but could still be interesting.

Last edited:
Laura Vandervoort seems more like Crystal to be honest, rather than Sue Storm. I think she could make a fantastic Crystal, especially having played these otherworldly characters.

Laura Vandervoort seems more like Crystal to be honest, rather than Sue Storm. I think she could make a fantastic Crystal, especially having played these otherworldly characters.

I agree...

I still like Claire Danes for Sue Storm.

Variety: Huge Fantastic Four News!
But Fox also has something Marvel wants: Sources say Marvel would give Fox more time to make DAREDEVIL in return for the rights to use characters from the FANTASTIC FOUR universe, including the giant, world-devouring supervillain Galactus, rumored to play a key role in future Marvel pics. Marvel is also eyeing future use of Silver Surfer, who in the comicbooks brokered a deal to serve as Galactus’ herald in order to save his home planet. (Fox owns rights to the Silver Surfer as part of its deal for FANTASTIC FOUR, which the studio is also rebooting with CHRONICLE helmer Josh Trank.)
Things are heating up ladies and gentlemen.

Disney/Marvel turning up the heat.

The cosmic characters are the only ones whose rights I care about Marvel getting back

Silver Surfer, Galactus, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, get them all back :up:

The cosmic characters are the only ones whose rights I care about Marvel getting back

Silver Surfer, Galactus, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, get them all back :up:
They're definitely priority but getting F4 as whole back wouldn't be too shabby either. ;)

I just read this in the GOTG forum. HOLY CRAP! Everyone had been lamenting the fact that Silver Surfer wouldn't be around for the Infinity Gauntlet saga... This is crazy news!
Almost as important is Annihilus, so that a GotG sequel could be an adaptation of Annihilation

Keep in mind the article doesn't say they would get them back it implies they are asking for the rights to use Fantastic Four characters in their movies in exchange to get more time to put a Daredevil movie into production.

****, what kind of deals did Avi Arad sign with Fox all those years ago?

I don't know if I like the idea of the F4 not having Galactus and the Silver Surfer.They already can't use Namor or the Inhumans.

I wonder if that implies they want to give us a Silver Surfer/GOTG movie. it could help that movie. It might be hard to get the general public to take Rocket Raccoon seriously.

Keep in mind the article doesn't say they would get them back it implies they are asking for the rights to use Fantastic Four characters in their movies in exchange to get more time to put a Daredevil movie into production.

****, what kind of deals did Avi Arad sign with Fox all those years ago?
They are time-sensitive deals--as long as Fox and Sony make movies with the characters licensed to them every certain number of years, they retain the movie rights to those characters. I think it's why the Wolverine spin-off still had the word "X-Men" in its title. Though I wonder if the Daredevil clock started with the release of the Elektra movie (2005) or the Daredevil movie (2003).

I don't know if I like the idea of the F4 not having Galactus and the Silver Surfer.They already can't use Namor or the Inhumans.
I like the idea. It means a better chance that Fox will give up all of the F4 characters eventually.

Maybe Marvel will help them out as well, and loan those characters to Fox if they need them. That, or Fox will still be able to use Galactus and FF regardless of them appearing in a Marvel movie. They might even bring the FF together with the Avengers eventually.

I wonder if that implies they want to give us a Silver Surfer/GOTG movie. it could help that movie. It might be hard to get the general public to take Rocket Raccoon seriously.

I doubt having SS would help the audience take Rocket Raccoon more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"