Fantastic Four reborn! - - - Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThatAwkwardFFMoment_zpsed94ce43.jpg

I assume linking to Empire is fine, but if not just let me know. Noticed none of our Positive friends that were so wanting to talk about that big Empire Fantastic Four feature were linking to it and I thought I'd do 'em a favor and bring up the online version (they might not know you don't have to subscribe to the magazine).

http://www.empireonline.com/features/2015-movie-preview/p3

And for those that don't want to click:

It may not be a reboot that we expected to see quite so soon, but in any case here is a new Fantastic Four on August 6. With an interesting young cast – Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan are the titular quartet – and Chronicle director Josh Trank at the head of this superhero origin tale, we're still hoping for the best. The news that Toby Kebbell's Doctor Doom is now a hacker rather than the ruler of a small European state is a big change from the original, and one that comics fans greeted with outright disgust, but hey! It's actually slightly more believable when you think about it, so maybe knee-jerk horror was the wrong reaction.

That's it. Empire magazine is hoping for the best! That's a glowing endorsement if I ever saw one! :o

Pretty sad when you don't have a scene pic or even a logo to put with it.

I assume linking to Empire is fine, but if not just let me know. Noticed none of our Positive friends that were so wanting to talk about that big Empire Fantastic Four feature were linking to it and I thought I'd do 'em a favor and bring up the online version (they might not know you don't have to subscribe to the magazine).

It may not be a reboot that we expected to see quite so soon, but in any case here is a new Fantastic Four on August 6. With an interesting young cast – Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan are the titular quartet – and Chronicle director Josh Trank at the head of this superhero origin tale, we're still hoping for the best. The news that Toby Kebbell's Doctor Doom is now a hacker rather than the ruler of a small European state is a big change from the original, and one that comics fans greeted with outright disgust, but hey! It's actually slightly more believable when you think about it, so maybe knee-jerk horror was the wrong reaction.

That's it. Empire magazine is hoping for the best! That's a glowing endorsement if I ever saw one! :o

Wow! This new piece of news sounds really interesting and has gotten me very excited for this movie now!! I'm going to see it 10 times in the theatre!! :o

Ant-Man is featured on the same page and features an officially released, high quality image of Scott Lang. Fantastic Four features stock photos of the actors.

Sesame Street said:
One Of These Things (Is Not Like The Others)
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

That helps illustrate the value of a logo. Now that we're beginning 2015, I'm seeing a lot of: "Most Anticipated Films of 2105" lists popping up.

Most of those lists will just leave FF off - even if they consider it an anticipated film - because they don't have a logo to put on their list. For simplicity, they'll likely just skip to a film that has a logo.

And just like that, the FF loses any chance it otherwise might have had to be an "Anticipated Film".

That helps illustrate the value of a logo. Now that we're beginning 2015, I'm seeing a lot of: "Most Anticipated Films of 2105" lists popping up.

Most of those lists will just leave FF off - even if they consider it an anticipated film - because they don't have a logo to put on their list. For simplicity, they'll likely just skip to a film that has a logo.

And just like that, the FF loses any chance it otherwise might have had to be an "Anticipated Film".

Brand awareness is certainly important, and Fox is going to have to rely exclusively on their marketing of the film. They'll receive no help from Marvel in promoting it, the film will have no major merchandise before or during release, and the argument that Fantastic Four is already a big name and doesn't need further promotion doesn't hold much water. Dragon Ball is arguably a far more well known comic worldwide (Japanese manga is actually quite popular, they have a stronger comic industry than the US) and DBE didn't do much for Fox.

but hey! It's actually slightly more believable when you think about it

What the **** does this even mean? How is this stupid, moronic mindset STILL A THING when the most popular movie of the 2014 summer was an action space opera starring a talking raccoon and talking tree?

It works JUST fine in the comics. And CAN WORK just fine in a movie from people who actually give a damn.

so maybe knee-jerk horror was the wrong reaction.

Oh shut the hell up, whoever wrote this blurb. It's an awful idea and people reacted accordingly.

Dragon Ball is far, far more popular than Fantastic Four is as a brand.

Dragon Ball is far, far more popular than Fantastic Four is as a brand.

Well yeah, but I tried to downplay that a bit as sometimes people have a hard time accepting that US comic characters are far from being the most popular worldwide. :cwink: :oldrazz:

Dragonball Evolution does teach us many lessons, though, while we're on the subject. It doesn't matter how well known your source material is, it's no guarantee that the fans will "go see it anyway" (sorry, Michael B. Jordan). If every Dragon Ball fan (taking into account approximate number of volumes sold, the fact that not every fan owns all 42 volumes, and many fans don't necessarily even own any of the volumes) had bought a ticket, the film would've made more at the box office. In Japan, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods outperformed DBE at the box office. Audiences do care about quality. One film was a bizarre take on the source material that felt the need to ground it in pseudo realism despite being a fantasy story. The other embraced the fantasy (and comedy) elements of the source material. The true-to-source version was more successful.

Wait... grounding a fantasy property... Fox... :wow: It's like they didn't learn anything! :o

After all the crap DOFP got during that early pre-production phase, I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Though I have a feeling that no matter what this films turns out to be, it will not be seen as the darling of 2015 cbms.

This will be the Citizen Kane of CBMs.

Regardless of the quality of the film, it's obvious that nothing in that preview came from Fox themselves (well, besides, casting information). It makes it clear that Fox has done absolutely nothing to promote the film so far.

The think I was wondering about though is....why did they say that Miles Teller is in the film but use a picture of K.D.Lang?

The think I was wondering about though is....why did they say that Miles Teller is in the film but use a picture of K.D.Lang?

I'm still trying to figure out why they said the Fantastic Four is in this film when their blurb clearly doesn't match the Fantastic Four at all.

:rimshot:

After all the crap DOFP got during that early pre-production phase, I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Though I have a feeling that no matter what this films turns out to be, it will not be seen as the darling of 2015 cbms.

DOFP did get bashed before the trailer hit. The difference was that Singer was still tweeting set pics, actors were still doing interviews, and there weren't all sorts of terrible rumors about Singer's ability to direct a film. All the criticism of DOFP was that the cast was too large and Singer's choice of costumes that weren't comics accurate. Plus, First Class and The Wolverine were well received and Tom Rothman was gone which made it harder to be skeptical of the X-Men films.

Compare that to FF2015. Josh Trank deleted his Twitter. Cast members seem to dodge questions during interviews and there are all sorts of rumors about Josh Trank's unprofessional behavior to the point where he seems incapable of directing. There's that on top of having to deliver a hit when all three previous FF films were absolute abominations. The Roger Corman film lacked the budget needed to produce the sense of imaginative wonder that FF has always been about, the first Story film was so campy that it seemed like a retread of the Schumaker Batman movies and the second Story film had the most anti-climactic villain in any CBM ever.

Between FF and Ant-Man, we as fans have a right to be skeptical of any CMB in 2015 that isn't Age of Ultron. Do not compare FF2015 to DOFP since the current level of criticism isn't just, "fanboy whining" it's actually justified and if Fox wants it to stop they should release something like a poster, a trailer, a production still, concept art, etc. Anything to make fans want to care.

And regardless of whether the current FF film does well enough to warrant a sequel or if it kickstarts Marvel's Phase 4 with yet another reboot, the director of the next film should be Alfonso Cuaron.

Say what you will about Ant-Man, and I certainly have some major reservations about it, at least Marvel isn't trying to hide it.

Haha even the establishment industry media (which has an interest in promoting these films) is distancing itself now.

Say what you will about Ant-Man, and I certainly have some major reservations about it, at least Marvel isn't trying to hide it.

Or maybe they are:

Ant-Man Teaser Preview
[YT]KQjhJf1R4k4&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

The production is obviously in trouble just like FFINO. That's why they won't even release a human-sized trailer that anyone can see. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"