• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, that in all my years here, I have never seen this kind of reaction by a group of fans toward a film, before it even came out. SR was close, but it was more evenly split. But this, IDK, I don't think it will ever be topped.
I would never have thought a CB film could beat catwoman or B&R in pure hatred by the fans.

I'm not judging or being critical, just stating the obvious.

I have to say, that in all my years here, I have never seen this kind of reaction by a group of fans toward a film, before it even came out. SR was close, but it was more evenly split. But this, IDK, I don't think it will ever be topped.
I would never have thought a CB film could beat catwoman or B&R in pure hatred by the fans.

Both reviews and box office numbers indicate this film belongs in that group. Fans are the first to know because they go over every tiny bit of information that comes out.

I said in the part 3 topic, do you reckon that this whole week's box office results will come to what F4 earned just this weekend?

In other words, a continuing decrease in views because of the reviews.

just mho, but based on what we have seen so far, I think it will be lucky to make 7/8 mill for the week, and around that for this coming weekend.
I think it will be lucky to hit a 50 mill dom total.

Are there any good predictions yet for total WW? I saw something about 34M for the weekend, but I wasn't sure what that included or how that would project out.

Just because I'm mean like that, I would like to see Fox sue Trank...but being mature and logical they probably should not; it will just put more of a spotlight on his tweet and the movie in general. I do suspect they will I initiate or join with Disney to blacklist him.
I'd rate the Marvel films as this:
Great
TWS
Avengers

Good
Ironman

Poor
Ironman 2
TFA

WTF were people thinking praising this
Thor
Thor 2
Ironman 3

Just because I'm mean like that, I would like to see Fox sue Trank...but being mature and logical they probably should not; it will just put more of a spotlight on his tweet and the movie in general. I do suspect they will I initiate or join with Disney to blacklist him.
Great
TWS
Avengers

Good
Ironman

Poor
Ironman 2
TFA

Thor
Thor 2
Ironman 3
I agree with most of "Marvel can do bad too" posts, but in any quality ranking, I would put the great, good and bad MS films with many other comic book movies, and, after the worst of the worst the MCU has to offer, stuff like X3, XO: Wolverine, Ghost Rider 2, and then after layers and layers of trash, FFINO.

I think the hardcore Marvel minions were (and are) hellbent on getting F4 rights back to Disney/Marvel. However the film turned out, that is their desire.

With every piece of information released that went against classic and traditional ideas of what the F4 are about, the fanboys used it as ammunition.

It was a bitter and hateful campaign.

The end result is a misfire but, in my view, it isn't a 9% disaster, despite the RT score. Catwoman is far worse, so is GR2. Odeon cinema viewers rate it 3 out of 5 if that gives you a sense of life outside the intensity of the geek bubble.

Great
TWS
Avengers

Good
Ironman

Poor
Ironman 2
TFA

Thor
Thor 2
Ironman 3

I found Iron Man 2 to be much worse than Thor, but that may be because the latter had at least novelty in its favour.

I found Avengers very boring, but I accept that I am almost unique in that.

I don't think anyone would argue that Marvel is perfect and has never had a misstep, but they've never had a critical or financial failure. That's especially impressive when you compare their track record to every other studio whose filmography is littered with failures.

I think the hardcore Marvel minions were (and are) hellbent on getting F4 rights back to Disney/Marvel. However the film turned out, that is their desire.

With every piece of information released that went against classic and traditional ideas of what the F4 are about, the fanboys used it as ammunition.

The end result is a misfire but, in my view, it isn't a 9% disaster, despite the RT score. Catwoman is far worse, so is GR2. Odeon cinema viewers rate it 3 out of 5 if that gives you a sense of life outside the intensity of the geek bubble.
It got a C- on cinema score, one of the lowest scores in the history of that rating system. GL got a B. Audiences clearly did not enjoy this.
"Misfire" is putting it lightly. It's a failure on every level, not just as a FF adaption, but as a movie as well. I've never seen a movie that looks like it was held together with scotch tape. We can debate where exactly it falls on the list of bad CBMs, but it's undoubtedly a complete, spectacular failure.

Just seen the b roll footage for this flick. Yep Fox reshot the entire 3rd act because the Reeds car (whether it flew or not) is seen in Planet zero and Mara doesn't have a wig then. Lol

Great
TWS
Avengers

Good
Ironman

Poor
Ironman 2
TFA

Thor
Thor 2
Ironman 3

Fox won't sue Trank or 'blacklist' him. They just won't want to work with him again. Trank will probably lie low for a while then return to some sort of original indie project where he has total control.

As for your ranking of Marvel films, in my view Avengers is the high point. It's the only one i can rewatch and enjoy time and time again. Winter Soldier was very good too. Haven't seen Ant-Man yet. Age of Ultron was okay. The Iron Man films are good but i always feel I'm watching RDJ rather than Tony Stark. Looking forward to Inhumans and Doctor Strange.

Damn, just seen the box office for this. Terrible! Anyone know the budget for this film?

Thanks all. Fox are definitely going to have to review if these rights are worth keeping for them after this. Even if they made a good F4 film next it would be carrying a lot of negative opinion as a result of this film (worst cinemascore I can ever remember seeing) and would likely struggle.

:whatever: Here we go again. Riiiight. It was the fans' fault that a film that was supposed to be made for them - but wasn't like anything they ever wanted - sucked.

Fans hate it. Critics hate it. General audiences hate it. It bombed miserably at the box office. And it's all because of the fans.

The same fans that were told time and again they were a minority and that they didn't really matter.

Let's say it ends up making $150 million worldwide (which seems like it might be very generous at the moment).

According to this article: http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

"These deals often protect the theaters from movies that bomb at the box office by giving the theaters a bigger cut of those films. So if a film only makes $10 million at the box office, the distributor will get only 45 percent of that money. But if a film makes $300 million at the box office, then the distributor gets up to 60 percent of that money."

This film certainly qualifies as a bomb, so let's use that 45 % number. That means of $150 million, Fox may only see about $67.5 million of that.

So it looks like Fox might have lost something in the ballpark of $100 million on this film.

Does anyone seriously think they're going to convince management and shareholders to make a sequel or reboot in the next 7 years after that?

How many people are hellbent on getting the X-men back to Marvel?
Few to none, because Fox is killing it with that franchise. However, this movie has looked and sounded terrible since its inception so of course people are going to be upset. This is an intellectually dishonest argument because dozens of detractors here have said since day one that all we really want is a good FF movie, but it's clear as day Fox isn't going to give us one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"