Fast 8 - Part 1

Depending on how much stock you want to put in Umberto Gonzalez, he says the film originally had an after-credits scene featuring Dwayne and Statham, but Vin demanded that Universal cut it. But then there's other sources that say Universal made their own decision to cut the scene to save it for the home entertainment version of the film.

Elena was expendable ever since Fast 6.

Still, do something better than THIS!! This was just insulting to her character, and pathetic as well.

Is there any reason why she couldn't be on the team for example?

Still, do something better than THIS!! This was just insulting to her character, and pathetic as well.

Not much to offer as far as skillset.
She was a temporary love interest and Hobbs' sidekick.

You have to kill someone from the team (e.g Han) in order to be qualified to join it :o

Agreed.
One of the few strong women in the franchise and they kill her off. It's like they couldn't have Dom's life be messy with both a kid and the baby mama around, so they had to get rid of one. Also, when could she have had his kid? She was Hobbe's partner in the last one, and didn't look pregnant at all.

And yeah, Shaw killed Han. Sorry but you can't easily forgive him for that.

Last edited:
The sad part is, I like the movie overall. It's fun and the cast works well together. It's just that when that happened I had to stop myself from audibly groaning right there in the theatre.

F&F franchise, you're better than this. It's part of the reason why I give you a pass on things that I wouldn't give passes to other franchises for doing. Because you've earned some leeway imo. But THIS, no just no. Especially not with THAT character. That is one of the last characters that you should do that with.

Honestly it's pretty much my only real big complaint with the film.

Just got out from seeing this. I am eating crow. I'm one of the people who was kind of inherently against this film from the start for many reasons. I felt they should've ended the series with 7 and there was no more story to tell, I thought the whole "evil Dom" thing was stupid and I absolutely did NOT want to see Jason Statham's character be a good guy. I loved him being the badass evil terminator in the last film.

But, I'll be damned, the movie won me over and I had a blast with this film. Dom's turn was very compelling and dramatic and I did not see that twist coming. And lo and behold, the film made Statham's turn seem credible and he was even better in this movie than 7. His character was given much more depth and to very humorous results. The team is fun and funny as always and the action and set pieces are just ridiciously fun and over the top. The way it should be.

I gotta hand it to this series, they continually find ways to reinvent itself and I am very happy I was wrong about this.

Solid 8/10

I was so meh on the trailers for this, but surprisingly I ended up really enjoying this movie. It's not as good as Five or Six, but I liked it way more than Seven, and honestly that's all I was hoping for. The action sequences are insane, but it weirdly feels toned down compared to Seven with the exception of the scene with submarine. I'm actually satisfied with that too, because I wanted these movies to go back to the practicality of Five and Six an that's pretty much what I got.

I also loved the scenes between the Rock and Statham in this. They have great chemistry and I can't decide if either the prison riot or the
plane sequence at the end
was my favorite. Dom going rouge was handled better than I expected as well, and even though I still think she was underutilized Charlize Theron was fine as the villain.

I'd give it an 8/10.

The trailers never did it for me but I went to see it out of obligation. For 16 years, I've fallen in love with these characters. I had an absolute blast watching this. It had so many action set pieces and fun moments. Rock and Statham stole the show with their banter. There were a few things I didn't see coming like [blackout]Dom having a child with Elena[/blackout] and [blackout]the return of Owen Shaw[/blackout].

There is one huge jarring thing that took me a bit to process and that was how all of a sudden, everybody is [blackout]cool with Deckard Shaw like he didn't murder Han in cold blood or try to destroy the entire crew all throughout the last film.[/blackout] But I guess it all tied back to the theme of the film's opening sequence (and objectively speaking, it was a bit flimsy) and the film's title. I saw where they were going so I accepted it because I love these characters so much.

The Fate of the Furious was well worth my money and is a great film to see whether you are a fan of actions films or the franchise itself. This was a worthy successor to how excellently Furious 7 ended.

I can kind of half-way maybe explain that as:

1. Deckard wanted revenge for what happened to his own brother. And if Dom and co understand anything, it's going to extreme lengths for family.

2. The movie repeatedly gives you details about him that essentially go "well he's not completely evil."

3. He (and Owen) did help to save a baby.

4. Etc.

Also, I'd pay good money to see a spinoff buddy cop movie with The Rock and Jason Statham, also starring Helen Mirren.

I can kind of half-way maybe explain that as:

1. Deckard wanted revenge for what happened to his own brother. And if Dom and co understand anything, it's going to extreme lengths for family.

2. The movie repeatedly gives you details about him that essentially go "well he's not completely evil."

3. He (and Owen) did help to save a baby.

4. Etc.

Also, I'd pay good money to see a spinoff buddy cop movie with The Rock and Jason Statham, also starring Helen Mirren.

Yeah i can still buy it because i think if Dom was in his shoes he would have probably done the same thing.

I can't. I rewatched the beginning of Furious 7 and Shaw is supposed to be a remorseless killer. I get he's played by Statham and has great chemistry with the cast, but it's inconsistent with the last movie.

Yeah i can still buy it because i think if Dom was in his shoes he would have probably done the same thing.

Heck he killed Fenix in Part 4 because, at the time, he thought that the guy had killed Letty.

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: After bringing in $10.4 million in late night shows on Thursday night, Universals The Fate of the Furious brought in an estimated $46.5 million on Friday, heading toward a three-day weekend around $103.8 million.
Additionally, the film began its international run on Wednesday and has since seen the largest opening day of all-time in Argentina, Colombia, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Lebanon, Malaysia, Peru, Portugal and the United Arab Emirates. Additionally, the films $64 million opening day in China (including $8.7 million in midnight previews) is the largest opening day of all-time, largest single day and largest Friday of all-time in the Middle Kingdom.
As for the films international Friday overall, the estimated total is $112.1 million, Universal International's highest grossing Friday of all time. This brings the film's early international total to $194.8 million with the studio anticipating a $430.4 million international opening, the largest for the studio ever, topping Jurassic World, which tallied $316.7 million. Once the dust settles, we could be looking at a $530+ million worldwide opening for the eighth film in the global franchise, a number that would serve as a record, topping the $529 million worldwide opening for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In fact, should those estimates hold, both the international and worldwide openings would serve as all-time records.

That's the thing you gotta remember about this series and the Transformers series. International audiences eat this **** up about as much as or even moreso than we do.

I can't. I rewatched the beginning of Furious 7 and Shaw is supposed to be a remorseless killer. I get he's played by Statham and has great chemistry with the cast, but it's inconsistent with the last movie.

Yeah, [blackout]Dom would never what Shaw did in that opening.[/blackout] That's extreme even if they had Brian slowly descending into a barrel of acid with his finger nails being ripped off.

So is Hobbs being replaced by The Shaw Family ? As Id imagine the only way he goes back to work is if its his daughter that gets kidnapped & is she gonna get kidnapped in each of the last 3 movies ? His character will have enemies being a government agent & all & its Vin Diesel before The Rock in this franchise after all

The Fate of the Furious Box Office on Track to Hit $534M Globally on Sunday
BY CS ON APRIL 15, 2017

Universal Pictures‘ The Fate of the Furious is opening in 63 territories with the U.S. and Canada this weekend and the fans are turning out in record numbers around the world. According to the studio, Friday’s international gross is $112.1 million for an early total of $194.8 million. This is Universal International’s highest-grossing Friday of all time. The international weekend estimate is $430.4 million. This will be the biggest international weekend by a large margin, beating the previous record holder, Universal’s Jurassic World, which tallied $316.7 million.

Combined with the North American estimated gross of $103.8 million, the worldwide total will be $534.2 million on Sunday. The film is on track to beat Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ worldwide opening of $529 million to make The Fate of the Furious the biggest global opening of all time.

As of Friday, the Fast & Furious series crossed $4 billion at the worldwide box office. Some stats from Universal:

– The Fate of the Furious is the clear No.1 film in all territories.
– It is the biggest opening day of all films, all time, in 16 territories: Argentina, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Israel, Lebanon, Malaysia, Middle East, Pakistan, Peru, Portugal, South Africa, U.A.E. and Venezuela.
– It is Universal’s biggest opening day of all time in 22 territories, including Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, Germany and India.
– It is the biggest opening of the Fast & Furious franchise in 38 territories, including Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Korea and Mexico.
– China kicked off at midnight on Thursday and set a new record for midnight shows. The opening day box office of $65.6 million (451.6M RMB) has set the record for the biggest single day ever at the Chinese box office. The three-day weekend estimate is $192 million (1.322 RMB), making it the biggest three-day opening of all time in China.
– The Fate of the Furious has already passed the international lifetime totals of The Fast and the Furious ($62.9 million); 2 Fast 2 Furious ($109 million); The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift ($96 million). It will pass Fast & Furious ($197.7 million) today and Furious Five ($401.3) million on Sunday.

There are five more territories to open: Philippines today; Serbia & Montenegro April 20; Poland April 21; Romania April 21 and Japan April 28.

Universal crossed $1 billion in international box office yesterday, becoming the second studio to reach this milestone in 2017. It is Universal’s 11th year in a row grossing $1 billion in international box office, and the second fastest to this milestone after 2015.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...t-534m-globally-on-sunday#1U9PPOT005WmBRsV.99

There was a time when I would've said go ahead and film 9 and 10 back-to-back, but doing them separately probably makes for better scripts.

Watched it today. While it was great fun, I thought it was worse than Furious 7.

The action is getting too ridiculous, even for this franchise. The humor as well. The film realizes that it is dumb and this time it doesn't even takes itself remotely serious (jokes and humor all over the place). Examples:

Scott Eastwood is a comic-relief, Owen Shaw is brought back for a very brief and wasted cameo, Helen Mirren is making jokes and Deckard after killing Han and being the villain in Furious 7, is now saving Dom's baby on a plane while kicking bad guys. After doing that, he somehow earns his part in Dom's family and everyone is ok with that.

Enjoyed the film, but at this point things are getting way out of hand, imo.

Wow. Beauty and the Beast better enjoy being number one worldwide while it can. This could be over a billion by next week.

Yeah, it's pretty much an action cartoon at this point. They have been surviving **** that should have killed them five times over already. Even Roman the goofball is doing superhuman ****.

Damn China. They sure do love themselves some Vin Diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"