Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - - - - - - Part 25

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by Thread Manager, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

"Distracted"

More like, the show killed his interest in the main saga.

2. Reek

Reek _____

Yea he's not looking to hot these days either... I'm getting worried.

[​IMG]

3. TheFuture

TheFuture Rising

I wouldn't blame for the show for Martin's struggle with writing the book. I think there's a key 3 years or so of the show where he probably rode the wave of it's success a bit too much, appearing everywhere to talk about it and most of all, wasn't writing.

We've all had that thing in our lives where we put something on the backburner and as the years went by, so did our energy and clear mind for the project until it doesn't mean anything anymore. Too bad there's so many people willing George to get it done.

4. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Marvolo

If he really cares about the ASOIAF story and doesnt like what D&D did with it you'd think he'd want to at least make sure the public and the fans get to read the final two books. Rather than never finishing it and ensuring that the D&D's version is the only ending we ever get.

I think he's just stuck and bored with it. He has an ending, but he cant get to that ending or is continually struggling to get to that ending and the experience of writing the story is no longer any fun for him. It's become a grueling chore. Which is why hes constantly doing other things.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that some of this drag ass is just plain ol spite. He really doesnt like people demanding he finish the story and he doesnt even seem to like fans being reasonably pushy. He really seems to hate people thinking he is going to die before he finishes. Its bound to make anyone a bit spiteful. So he could be dragging ass as a way of giving fans and his publisher the finger. It's not the only reason but I think its definitely one of the several reasons.

At this point I've accepted that our only hope of getting A Dream of Spring is a Christmas miracle happening or his family estate going against his wishes after he dies and hiring another writer to finish the story based on Martin's notes and any discussions he has had with his close story confidants. At the very least I hope his estate publishes some of his A Dream of Spring material and his notes in a book like the books Christopher Tolkien has been releasing that contain Tolkien's unfinished Middle Earth stories.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

Years from now:

[​IMG]

7. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I didn't say he didn't like D&D's version, I said their version killed his interest. The story's already being told, and it's at least partially based on the skeleton of what he planned. I think for all his talk of how he can enjoy both books and the show and that spoilers don't matter, that it's all in the journey...I think the truth is that knowing that his story is being told by someone else first has killed a lot of his enthusiasm. It's why he refused to let HBO do Dunk and Egg as a show before he finished the novellas.

And I certainly don't think it's out of spite...because he's openly lamented that he wishes it was over with so that he could do proper work on these Prequel shows, continue Dunk and Egg, write his proposed spy and Sci-Fi novels he had tucked away. He's said none of those things are going to be done until at the very least Winds is out, and you can tell that annoys the **** out of him.

8. Blitzkrieg Bop

Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

Spin off idea, laugh track sitcom with Tormund and Sandor.

One’s a former member of the kingsguard, the other’s a wildling commander. When the two live under one roof, only hilarity can ensue. Two ****s, Thursdays on NBC.

9. Marvolo

10. Reek

Reek _____

J.K. Rowling would hate you.

11. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

Nearly a year has passed since I started ADwD and finally I'm in the home stretch. Did anyone else have a similarly difficult time getting through this one? Comparatively, I blew through the previous books in about a month total (even with AFfC becoming a chore), but I never expected it to take quite this long.

I got through the first 800 pages in a couple weeks but then lost any drive to continue. A big part of my loss of interest was due to having already watched the show, but the last two books have also felt rather aimless, with several POV characters that are either boring or irritating.

Hopefully TWoW, whenever it comes out, managed to recapture the magic of the first three books.

12. Reek

Reek _____

the sample chapters released by grrm were pretty great... hes released quite a few..

13. Elayis

Elayis Well-Known Member

So you think they're worth reading on their own?

14. Reek

Reek _____

reading them for a hint of whats goin on in winds of winter? yea of course.

15. Reek

Reek _____

16. Marvolo

To make ADWD more tolerable, I cheated. I read the Jon, Stannis, and Jaime chapters first. Then I read the Davos chapters. I read all the Dany chapters last.

GRRM's chapter cliffhangers annoy the **** out of me. He'll have 90% of a chapter be low key discussions, planning, introspection and just when things are getting really interesting he ends the chapter then makes the reader wait absurd lengths of time to get back to that character. Martin has compared his method to commercial breaks. In tv the episodes would build to something then go to a commercial break. Martin liked that rhythm and he carried that method over into his books. I think it's an obnoxious tedious way to pace a book but the books were good in spite of that madness so up until ADWD I tolerated it, but with ADWD I said to hell with it and just read the story how I wanted to. It's the only time I've ever done anything like that with a book.