Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That actually incredibly pissed me off, when they changed that from the books. It was so so so so so so so OOC for Jaime.

It's like they make the morally gray characters into mustache twirling villains and the slightly heroic ones out to be messianic figures.

Exactly. Speaking of changes, Ygritte's on-screen death still has next to no impact or got any emotion out of me. I LOVED Ygritte's portrayal on the show, but her death was just so...badly done. I was more upset about Jon losing his two Knight's Watch buddies, than I was him losing Ygritte.

Like, wow. I'm STILL bummed out about it.

"They held the gate".

I think it was because her death in the book felt more...I dunno, desperate. Like Jon was holding her, repeating to her how they'd take her to Maester Aemon and fix her. It felt like Jon was desperate and she just had quiet acceptance of it. There wasn't as much of that in the show version.

I only binged the books after seeing season one and at that time finding out I had 6 months to wait until season two!
That said I can sympathize with those upset we will more or less have the story 'spoiled' for us on TV instead of savoring it in the novels.
The magic of the books will be lost since anything major will have been captured in the series, it'll be more about reading it to find out where it diverges.
Anyway I do prefer that he not rush it like King did with The Dark Tower and lose the tone and quality in the last few books, that said he is fat, old and pasty looking and if he simply doesn't get dementia he'll likely die before he even starts book seven.

GY7YxbG.gif

Brilliant gif when rewatching the finale :funny:

I aint even gonna lie; I liked Cersei standing up to Tywin and taking Jamie back

Even the Hound being all vulnerable and begging Arya kinda shocked me. So much emotion.

To expect a complete adaption would be a bit much. GoT could be more like TWD.

That whole scene between him and Arya was just devastating, probably the most emotional moment in the whole series for me. And for all I've liked Arya throughout, I was really disappointed in her for the way she just abandoned The Hound to a slow, agonising death after him getting in that position trying to protect her.

Yeah I didn't quite follow why she just sat there silently, letting him die slowly. The Hound had just admitted to Brienne in front of Arya that he was the one protecting her. I realise Arya's journey has changed her dramatically, she's learning about how horrible life is and what you must do to survive, she's now killed etc, but we've also seen her and Sandor form a strong bond, it was only a few episodes back she was insisting on nursing his face so it wouldn't get infected. Now she doesn't grant someone whose taught her a lot his dying wish?

First thing in 4 season's I haven't liked Arya do, which I guess is still pretty damn good going. I guess really I just want everyone to make nice and be friends. :o

Yeah I didn't quite follow why she just sat there silently, letting him die slowly. The Hound had just admitted to Brienne in front of Arya that he was the one protecting her. I realise Arya's journey has changed her dramatically, she's learning about how horrible life is and what you must do to survive, she's now killed etc, but we've also seen her and Sandor form a strong bond, it was only a few episodes back she was insisting on nursing his face so it wouldn't get infected. Now she doesn't grant someone whose taught her a lot his dying wish?

First thing in 4 season's I haven't liked Arya do, which I guess is still pretty damn good going. I guess really I just want everyone to make nice and be friends. :o

Yeah, that's how it played out in the books but their relationship there wasn't as close as it is in the show. They're clearly partners and have a special bond here but in the book they barely talk to each other, Arya hates the Hound and when they do talk to each other it's him threatening to kill her or just generally insulting her. I much prefer the show's version of things, but keeping the ending from the books doesn't make sense. I thought she would give him the gift of mercy, but she didn't. This is why I'm leaning towards the theory that the Hound is still alive.

Theme covers...

[YT]vTDEVUlCClk[/YT]

[YT]itn8highTRo[/YT]

Nice final.
Tyrion went on rampage. I knew about Tywin fate but I didn't expect him to meet it on toilets.
I liked the skeletons fight, they looked great and I found the Children good looking too.

Now...the wait is starting....the long wait until next season..I might go on hibernation.

Last edited:
So, the book-free thread got closed. That's a shame. I have read all the books, but this thread is so full of "I wonder how I'll do this" or "why did they change THAT?!" that non-book readers feel marginalized and don't post as often. Walking Dead can get its own forum, but apparently a show that is just as popular (and better) can't have two threads.

And yes, the long wait between seasons on this show is ever frustrating.

I only binged the books after seeing season one and at that time finding out I had 6 months to wait until season two!
That said I can sympathize with those upset we will more or less have the story 'spoiled' for us on TV instead of savoring it in the novels.
The magic of the books will be lost since anything major will have been captured in the series, it'll be more about reading it to find out where it diverges.
Anyway I do prefer that he not rush it like King did with The Dark Tower and lose the tone and quality in the last few books, that said he is fat, old and pasty looking and if he simply doesn't get dementia he'll likely die before he even starts book seven.

Take a hiatus from the show. I've been thinking that's what I'll do until we get TWOW/ADOS.

By far my favorite scene I love Stannis and Davos Great visual to see the over head shot of the formations heading into the trees so great

another long year to wait I think I will pick up books 4 and 5
read first 2 after the first season half way towards 3 wanted to
same some stuff for show but now I WANT TO KNOW how the story
progresses and i don't think I could wait for the 5th season

Did Tywin know she was a prostitute [in the book version that's not clear]? Or did he just not care?

Oh, I think Tywin knew about Shae. He probably figured out she was the same camp-follower that he expressly said “you will not bring that ****e to court,” and that Tyrion defied him again and did bring that ****e to court. As to precisely what happened here, that’s something I don’t really want to talk about because there’s still aspects of it I haven’t revealed that will be revealed in later books. But the role of Varys in all of this is also something to be considered.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-finale-martin/

The bolded part is very interesting. I wonder what there is left to reveal

Well in that same quote Martin talks about Tywin figuring out himself who she was, but he might refer to the rumor that Varys knew what would happen if Tyrion went up the Hand of the King's chambers.

Ahh man, gonna be a long wait till the next season. Guess I could use this time to actually read the books instead of just reading all the spoilers

So, the book-free thread got closed. That's a shame. I have read all the books, but this thread is so full of "I wonder how I'll do this" or "why did they change THAT?!" that non-book readers feel marginalized and don't post as often. Walking Dead can get its own forum, but apparently a show that is just as popular (and better) can't have two threads.

Yeah, thanks to the short sightedness of the thread closure and the complete lack of respect and restraint posters have in THIS thread I doubt I'll be very active in the GOT discussions anymore. Those members can't keep their mouths shut and discuss book stuff in the book thread in the appropriate forum so everyone else has to deal with it.

Too many people blabbed about Coldhands, Lady Stoneheart, the Red Wedding and etc. well before they ever appeared (or not) to the point this thread is worthless for anyone who has yet to read the books.

Requests for an entire forum are ignored, an attempt to do a book-free discussion are closed without consideration and now there will be fewer people in here to discuss the show because we can't dare have a book-free spoiler thread. :whatever:

Yeah thats pretty ridiculous. That thread wasnt hurting anyone or anything. So once again the mods have deleted posts for no reason. In this case a whole thread, that served a valuable purpose. I really dont understand what the heck has gotten into them.

Perhaps we should just all PM a request for our own section to all the mods and the Hype creator himself. At the very least, the mods could give an official reason why they are ignoring us and treating this show like some bastard child.

Last edited:
Those members can't keep their mouths shut and discuss book stuff in the book thread in the appropriate forum so everyone else has to deal with it.

But people are discussing how people will adapt from the books here, the book thread isn't about how the tv adaption is handling things, it's purely about the books.

But yeah closing the non-book readers topic was lame. Shame on you Moderators, shame on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95