The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think things are more advanced than we've been led to believe. If 2015 is in stone then shooting will begin some time toward the latter part of this year. IMO

They arent going to start shooting until like february 2014 if they are going with the 2015 may date.

Post production in CGI-heavy movies takes a lot of time.

Post production in CGI-heavy movies takes a lot of time.

If you do PT level of it, ya. But I doubt he will. STID which is very SFX heavy they got done filming in July I believe and finished a week ago.

*Actually didn't realize that until Octoberist said something*

8d2c0eb6_cPvou.gif

I should be knowing stuff like that. Odd because I've seen Arndt's face before, but I guess I just forgot.

I knew it wasn't, he has way less hair. But still funny none the less.

All I saw was the headline before I saw Funny or Die... I was scared for a second. Do not to that to me again. :cmad:

ILM to Pact With China’s Base FX
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ilm-to-pact-with-chinas-base-fx-1200383782/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lucasfilm-president-talks-china-deals-443625
Kennedy said Base FX is expected to play a role in future Lucasfilm productions, among them the three upcoming installments of the Star Wars franchise. “The Star Wars universe is full of technological and cutting-edge effects, which Base FX will be a wonderful partner to create with,” she said at the ceremony.

I knew this was coming!!

http://www.base-fx.com/

I have a feeling May 4th is going to be a good day for Star Wars fans :)

I'm trying not to get excited lol. But it would be awesome if they did something for us.

How long before all Hollywood films come with an asterisk saying "Made in China"?

How long before all Hollywood films come with an asterisk saying "Made in China"?

I can see most SFX being pushed over there, but for everything else (which is a lot) I'm sure will stay within Hollywood.

I have a feeling May 4th is going to be a good day for Star Wars fans :)
I'm not expecting anything, just so i dont end up disappointed lol. But May the 4th be with us all :woot:

This could be the biggest film ever. I don't mind when it comes out, just deliver on all that promise!

Here is part of an interview with JJ that TFN posted that Playboy recently did with him.

PLAYBOY: What happened between saying no and saying yes?

ABRAMS: It was a wild time. I was near the light at the end of the tunnel with my work on Star Trek. I felt I needed a bit of a breather, actually. But then Kathleen Kennedy [the new Lucasfilm head who oversees Star Wars] called again. I’ve known her for years. We had a great conversation, and the idea of working with her on this suddenly went from being theoretical and easy to deny to being a real, tangible, thrilling possibility. In the end it was my wife, Katie, who said if it was something that really interested me, I had to consider it.

PLAYBOY: There’s much to discuss, such as the rumors of old cast members returning.

ABRAMS: [Smiles]

PLAYBOY: Will this be a distinct new trilogy?

ABRAMS: [Smiles]

PLAYBOY: Can you do away with Jar Jar Binks?

ABRAMS: You won’t like this answer, but it’s so early it would be insane to discuss details or get into plot points about what this unfilmed movie will be. And I’m not going to give my opinion on the original movies or characters.

PLAYBOY: But as a lifelong Star Wars fan, surely you have broad ideas about what needs to happen going forward. Three quarters of planet Earth came down on George Lucas for practically ruining Star Wars in Episode I. The Star Wars universe revolted.

ABRAMS: Here’s the thing. I try to approach a project from what it’s asking. What does it need to be? What is it demanding? With Star Wars, one has to take into account what has preceded it, what worked, what didn’t. There are cautionary tales for anything you take on that has a legacy—things you look at and think, I want to avoid this or that, or I want to do more of something. But even that feels like an outside-in approach, and it’s not how I work. For me, the key is when you have a script; it’s telling you what it wants to be.

PLAYBOY: Star Wars needs to look different from Star Trek, certainly.

ABRAMS: As with anything, because these are very different worlds, they shouldn’t feel the same aesthetically. They can’t. You’re right. But again, I don’t apply aesthetics first and fit a movie into that aesthetic. If I had come into Star Trek with those eyes, I would probably have been paralyzed. The advantage here is that we still have George Lucas with us to go to and ask questions and get his feedback on things, which I certainly will do. With Star Trek it was harder because I wasn’t a Star Trek fan; I didn’t have the same emotional feeling, and I didn’t have Gene Roddenberry to go to. But I came to understand the world of Star Trek, and I appreciated what fans felt and believed about this universe and this franchise.

PLAYBOY: As recently as last fall you said that directing a new Star Wars comes with a burden of “almost fatal sacrilege.” Do you feel that?

ABRAMS: I meant if I viewed this from a fan’s point of view—and no one’s a bigger Star Wars fan than I am—or from a legacy standpoint, it would scare the hell out of me. But instead of trying to climb this mountain in one giant leap, I’m just enjoying the opportunity and looking to the people I’m working with. I’ve known Kathy for years. I’ve worked with the screenwriter, Michael Arndt, for a long time. I’ve known George for a number of years and he’s now a friend. Even if this wasn’t Star Wars, I’d be enormously fortunate to work with them.

PLAYBOY: How much of your personal vision can you put on this?

ABRAMS: For me to talk to you about what the big themes or ideas are before they exist is disingenuous, but naturally I have a big say in how this gets put together. When I get involved with something, I own it and carry the responsibility of the job.

I'm not expecting anything, just so i dont end up disappointed lol. But May the 4th be with us all :woot:

I think on May 4th, we'll get a firm release date. I hope.

I'm gonna go Star Wars nuts in May like never before! :D Marathons and buying any game or book or comic I can get my hand on!

I think on May 4th, we'll get a firm release date. I hope.

Ya we may get that and (this is really really optimistic and probably won't happen) but a Title and maybe the "official" announcement of Mark/Carrie/Harrison's return would be nice.

Last edited:
May the fourth be with you.

I think we'll get something on May 25th, if not the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"