BvS "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

I wonder if this will be a period piece in the 80's-90's.

Funny, because many fans were saying how certain fantastic things wouldn't work in the Man of Steel Universe because of how realistic it was, now you're saying it's not realistic enough? Look at our world, there are many funny happenings in our lives and at the same time there is much misery. There are some great moments but we still live in a world where Genocide exists.

Just because a city like Gotham is darker the whole world has to be like that? World is varied, and the DCU should reflect that.

This absolutely, positively, unequivocally CANNOT be part of the burgeoning DCCU. A realistic Gotham crime drama set in the world of Superman, where half of Metropolis went up in rubble? Doesn't work. I don't care for Arrow/Flash and don't really know how grounded those shows are. Do the producers have rights to incorporate this show into Arrow/Flash universes, seeing that Fox exclusively won the bid? Think we need answers as to how flexible they really are with this. A Nolan prequel would be a pointless exercise as well. That universe is done. There is nothing fascinating pre-Batman Begins that wouldn't be your standard NYPD drama. I think it just needs to be a stand alone like Smallville.

Foolish posts like this make me think that you've never read a comic.
Gotham Central and The Death of Superman exist in the same universe, why couldn't they in the cinematic universe?

It's a TV show set in the DC comics universe about non-super hero investigators dealing with crimes in that world with no established super heroes in the main cast.

Also the news was leaked the night Agents of SHIELD came out.

The article says they have been trying to get the show going for over a year.....

So even though Marvel JUST premiered Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and DC premiered Arrow a year ago, with Smallville hitting screens at the beginning of the century, they're copying Marvel?

Okay.

Yeah, and we had LnC: The new adventures of Superman and Birds of Prey before that.

Television has been DC's thing for years.
I'm so sick of this Marvel vs DC argument in everything. I like superheroes, I don't care if they're from marvel or DC.

In any case, if it's a freak of the week procedural, I don't want it. If it's a serialized crime drama, sign me the hell up.

I agree that it would get old if every episode was a new freak, but if it's just a crime drama...I'm out. We already have about a dozen of those on TV as it is, and when one gets canceled or ends, another pops up in it's place.

I agree that it would get old if every episode was a new freak, but if it's just a crime drama...I'm out. We already have about a dozen of those on TV as it is, and when one gets canceled or ends, another pops up in it's place.

When I think of a serialized crime/drama, I think of Justified. There aren't a lot of those.

There are a lot of those procedurals, like NCIS, CSI, Elementary, Bones and the like. I hope it stays far away from shows like that.

If it's a crime/drama like Breaking Bad/Justified, sign me up as well. But it's not looking good since it's on network television. When's the last time network television had a truly great TV show, particularly one in the hero/fantasy genre, season 1 of Heroes?

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about this...

On one hand, I love the idea of a shared universe. But this sounds almost like NYPD Blue set in Gotham. The way the story has always gone, Gotham went from a corrupt city with ordinary scumbag criminals running the show until Batman showed up. THEN came the rise of the freaks, which is what set it apart from other, similarly crime-ridden cities. Before that, it was basically New York or Baltimore with more gargoyles.

However... if the Deadline article got it a little wrong (or if the script gets a rewrite) and they intend for this to run alongside current happenings on film (with Batman not actually showing up but with periodic references to him, Superman and other characters) then I think it has some potential.

It's saying that its going to feature villains that made Gotham famous.

I expect we'll see maybe Rupert Thorne, The Falcones, the Maronis. I could see them doing Mad Hatter and Ventriloquist and Scarface, this show should be a way to show lesser known Batman villains that wouldn't translate as well on film

Technically DC got into TV before Marvel.
The Adventures of Superman predates The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man by decades.

Arrow is already "competing" with SHIELD, and that came first.

So even though Marvel JUST premiered Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and DC premiered Arrow a year ago, with Smallville hitting screens at the beginning of the century, they're copying Marvel?

Okay.

Yeah, and we had LnC: The new adventures of Superman and Birds of Prey before that.

Television has been DC's thing for years.
I'm so sick of this Marvel vs DC argument in everything. I like superheroes, I don't care if they're from marvel or DC.
It's not ripping off SHIELD, but that show certainly inspired this one to get off the ground, Arrow and Smallville were shows with the superheroes we know, Agents of SHIELD and Gotham focuses on the people

Make it mob heavy with the Maronis and Falcones. Keep it dark. Make it in the DC Universe. This could set up how Gotham is/was for future Batfleck films.

This absolutely, positively, unequivocally CANNOT be part of the burgeoning DCCU. A realistic Gotham crime drama set in the world of Superman, where half of Metropolis went up in rubble? Doesn't work. I don't care for Arrow/Flash and don't really know how grounded those shows are. Do the producers have rights to incorporate this show into Arrow/Flash universes, seeing that Fox exclusively won the bid? Think we need answers as to how flexible they really are with this. A Nolan prequel would be a pointless exercise as well. That universe is done. There is nothing fascinating pre-Batman Begins that wouldn't be your standard NYPD drama. I think it just needs to be a stand alone like Smallville.

Wat-boxxy.jpg

If this series were a part of a DCCU, it would predate the events of Man of Steel.

I'd just like to point out that HALF of Metropolis did not get flattened, destroyed or smashed in MOS. A nice big chunk of mid town similar to mid town Manhattan NYC? Sure, but Superman, and I know this is going to sound CRAZY, actually saved the city AND THE ENTIRE WORLD. So, yeah, life in Gptham can still be its usual crummy self for it's residents because Superman did the job heroes are supposed do. HE SAVED MILLIONS, IF NOT BILLIONS OF INNOCENT LIVES.

We now return to the GOTHAM ghread starring Jim Gordon already in progress.

Good point. I guess it depends on just how young they're making this Gordon, and if it will be linked to the new WB films.

When I think of a serialized crime/drama, I think of Justified. There aren't a lot of those.

There are a lot of those procedurals, like NCIS, CSI, Elementary, Bones and the like. I hope it stays far away from shows like that.

If it's a crime/drama like Breaking Bad/Justified, sign me up as well. But it's not looking good since it's on network television. When's the last time network television had a truly great TV show, particularly one in the hero/fantasy genre, season 1 of Heroes?

You of course have the right to that opinion that a crime drama is basically what the show Justified is(I've never seen the show to be honest), but realistically, shows like NCIS, CSI and to an extent Bones are crime dramas as well. So is Law and Order to be honest. Add all of those up and yes, there are numerous crime dramas on TV.

The studio/network for this Gotham show is crossing their fingers this show will last just riding on the fact that it's called/based in Gotham. As a few others have said, Gordon isn't going to keep this show a float. People that make up the general audience, unlike us comic fans who like stuff like Gotham Central(which had Batman's freak villains, which is what kept me reading), want Batman. I don't think this show is going to last very long unless the writing and events that go on are outstanding.

I was shocked at how many people I know, family, friends and coworkers that really liked Smallville. That show is one of the biggest copouts in regards to a comic/superhero adaptation. He was truly only Superman in the final episode for the most part. My wife watched the first 3 seasons but never got around to finishing it. She tried to get me to watch it and I could barely make it past the first couple of episodes due to godawful writing and subpar acting. Maybe I'm wrong and people will really like Gotham without it having Batman in it, if they liked a show that was pretty much all about Clark Kent and little to no Superman, anything is possible.

I think some are drawing a line between what they consider CRIME DRAMAS, like Breaking Bad, Justified The Shield and CASE OF THE WEEK CRIME PROCEDURALS like CSI, Bones, Law and Order and their ilk. My druthers would be more of a CRIME DRAMA.

You of course have the right to that opinion that a crime drama is basically what the show Justified is(I've never seen the show to be honest), but realistically, shows like NCIS, CSI and to an extent Bones are crime dramas as well. So is Law and Order to be honest. Add all of those up and yes, there are numerous crime dramas on TV.

Those shows are procedurals, it's not really an opinion. They are still crime/drama, but they're procedurals. We were specifically talking about serialized crime/drama shows. Procedurals are the shows that have new cases ever week and don't connect the plot episode to episode, an NCIS, CSI, Elementary, shows like that.

Serialized shows are the ones that connect the plot episode to episode, Justified, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc.

A serialized crime/drama would be a show like Justified or Breaking Bad. That's what I'm hoping for this show.

Smallville was a procedural. Like most procedurals it had a few episodes in the season that would deal with an over arching plot, but it was mainly a procedural. I watched it every week, but I can't say it was at all good lol.

Last edited:
Foolish posts like this make me think that you've never read a comic.
Gotham Central and The Death of Superman exist in the same universe, why couldn't they in the cinematic universe?

:doh:... forgetting the fact that the two are completely separate mediums, but tell me, what is there to gain here? Other than, ZOMG new content for my precious DCCU, losing sight of what the content may actually be? If you are going to establish major villains in the Batman mythos, on a newtork TV series without Batman, how is that remotely appealing to anyone? These villains work as a reflection of Batman, not an antagonist to Gordon and the GCPD. So unless we are talking about strictly a cop drama with Gordon and crew, with a bunch of C-list villains, and maybe Penguin or some heavy hitter, then I can see it. But it would still be your standard police drama on network television. As a stand alone series, you could do whatever you want. Bruce Wayne can come in. Major villains could appear (not that I'd want watered down versions of them). Anything and everything is in the playbook, and the future movies won't have to cater to the television audience at all. That makes sense to me. Before you know it, this cross pollination is going to come off as the biggest gimmick in cinema and TV history. Forget story telling, let's just combine every character and gather the biggest amalgam of audiences for max ratings... :whatever:

Last edited:

Good point. I guess it depends on just how young they're making this Gordon, and if it will be linked to the new WB films.

Im not a big fan of Fox but im really happy it's not some CW show. Im almost certain Flash is going to be a crappy series. The less connected this is to CW's shows the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"