Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OB12 Registered

Didn't Gunn or someone on the production team say that they were not going to use an actor to mo-cap Rocket's movements? Actually, I think it was the VFX director that said something along those lines.

2. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

I believe Gunn did say that, yes. I think he also said he might use an actual raccoon to get some of the movements correct.

3. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

I'm aware of what Rocket is, I just think getting a human to mocap for him isn't likely. Maybe--MAYBE--to get up close facial reactions, but any panned-out shot with movement would look odd with a human doing it.

I think the lack of casting announcement is proof enough that they're waiting until later to fill the voice role.

4. Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

http://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-groot-rocket-raccoon-special-rd/
    Based on that quote I think its safe to say that Rocket will be done with rotomation, while Groot will have stuntmen do mo-cap. Either way they won't need the voice actors til post.

5. Wontkins Registered

All they confirm is that they won't put a mocap suit on an actual raccoon, or a tree. They say nothing about how they'll capture the actors performances.

6. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

They'll capture it on a microphone, most likely.

7. Son of Coul Not 100% A Dick

They said they're doing rotomation, CGing animation over a raccoon's movements and presumably exaggerating them for effect. So in other words, not mo-capping a person.

8. Wontkins Registered

They never said that at all, they said they would use rotomation to capture the raccoons movements. Not the actors performances.Thats not a confirmation that they'll be using voice actors at all.
    They've likely already have cast Rocket Raccoon and Groot already, they just haven't announced it yet.

They're not going to wait until they're done filming to cast them, thats absurd. Its not a "voice role", its a role. I know you guys want voice actors for some reason, but its very unlikely that it will happen.

9. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

Why would they announce everyone else in the cast except them, if that's the case?

It's not absurd to wait until filming ends to do the voice work. Movies do it all the time. Like someone else pointed out, the Green Lantern actors weren't added until only a few months before release.

I know people want to know who's doing the voices for these characters, but I'm not sure why you're clinging to the notion that they'll be mo-capped. All evidence seems to point to the opposite.

10. Wontkins Registered

Mocap is the standard today. Just because we've got a very vague statement about "not mocapping Raccoons" doesn't confirm it won't be used at all. That interview was misread and the misinformation was passed around as fact.

We just have to wait and see but I really doubt they'll just grab someone to do a few lines after filming is complete.

11. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

unless you're implying that rocket won't speak in the movie there is no other way than using a voice actor....except for a real talking raccoon perhaps, but this is unlikely and expensive with all the genetic modifications and breeding and playin god and stuff....

12. Wontkins Registered

No... I'm saying they're going to get an actor actor. And that actor actor is going to do more than just speak a couple of lines after the filming is done. I'm sure they're going to use some motion capture. I don't understand where this mindset that "If the character isn't human, it can't be mocapped."
    Even if it was just for the actors face, they're going to use some level of motion capture.

13. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

I would agree that mocaping facial expressions is a possibility if it weren't for the fact that they are going for a photorealistic raccoon, not a cartoonish version. mocap doesn't help one bit in this case.

and what do you mean with actor actor? was Jeremy Irons less than that when he voice acted Scar in Lion King? Or Alan Rickman when he voice acted Marvin in Hitchhiker? Or Geoffrey Rush, when he did Tomar Rey in Green Goblin?

14. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

:pal:
    Was that on purpose?

15. Wontkins Registered

No, those are all actor actors. I'm saying they're not going to get someone that only does voice roles.

16. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

yes it was

17. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

I. think everyone around here agrees that whoever is the voice actor will be a bigger name, an actor actor but just cast later in the game when post production starts since mo cap won't be necessary

18. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

No one is suggesting that a voice-only actor will be used. But no matter who they go with for Rocket, be it Tennent or Sam Elliot or whomever, I'm betting they don't have to do their work until post. Like most movies.

19. SuperSAINT Where's Chewy gone?

So there I was, hoping for a press release......

20. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

except for the fact that they are looking for a photo realistic raccoon. what kind of mo cap magic do you think might help with that? what human performance could enhance the racoonness of a raccoon?

21. elsewhere The Dark Knight

So aren't they supposed to start filming soon? Feels like I've been waiting forever for them to get started.

22. Norrin Parker Majestor of the Shi'ar

The only Mo-Cap I see happening is for Groot. Rocket is going to have an actor voice him in post.

23. Hyde Ooga-Chaka

Didn't filming start today?

24. marvel_freshman Registered

According to Dave Bautista, filming started today. I recall Marvel announcing that Captain America 2 was filming one week after it had already started. So, I'm thinking we could get the GOTG filming announcement, cast list and maybe a set pic on July 1st. Only speculating of course.

25. Birdman Registered

Well here's to hoping. Also, was I the only one hoping for a big puppet Groot instead of CGI. I mean I knew it wouldn't happen, but I was just wanting it to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.