Halloween Movies Thread... - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really care personally, I really liked it. And from what I heard, the basic story (Laurie needing to confront her fears/destroy Michael once and for all) was actually Jamie Lee's idea.

"At least even the bad ones of the original series still felt like a Halloween movie. Hobomyers was just ridiculous aswell."

And comments like this show why filmmakers are in a no-win scenario. Fans constantly whine about getting the "same old thing" and CLAIM that they want something "new and fresh." But they really don't, because they complain just a loudly when that happens to. Basically, fans whine either way, so filmmakers should probably just say "screw it, I'm making the movie that I WANT to make," and then let the chips fall where they may.

"At least even the bad ones of the original series still felt like a Halloween movie. Hobomyers was just ridiculous aswell."

And comments like this show why filmmakers are in a no-win scenario. Fans constantly whine about getting the "same old thing" and CLAIM that they want something "new and fresh." But they really don't, because they complain just a loudly when that happens to. Basically, fans whine either way, so filmmakers should probably just say "screw it, I'm making the movie that I WANT to make," and then let the chips fall where they may.

False. Fans and moviegoers welcome things that are "new and fresh"...when they don't suck. Rob Zombie creating something with Hobomyers that was "new and fresh" does not automatically equate to it being something that is good, interesting, or well-executed. I would think this much would be obvious.

I can't give H20 a pass. It feels too much like the trendy horror movies during that time like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer guest starring Michael Myers.

Like many horror films (and basically ALL films in general), H20 was a product of its time. A film should not be automatically faulted for this.

And "guest starring Michael Myers"? Michael was as much of a focal point for the story of H20 as he was in any other Halloween film, if not much more so.

I've no idea what you mean. Michael was a major presence all through the movie. Even when he's not really there because he haunts Laurie's mind so badly that she keeps imagining seeing him. That's one of the major strengths of H20. It took the Halloween franchise back to it's roots. I love all the nods to the original, too.

Same here. Although I will admit they didn't do quite as good a job of building suspense as the original did. However I could tell that they were at least TRYING to be suspenseful, so I have to give them props for that.

False. Fans and moviegoers welcome things that are "new and fresh"...when they don't suck. Rob Zombie creating something with Hobomyers that was "new and fresh" does not automatically equate to it being something that is good, interesting, or well-executed. I would think this much would be obvious.

Here's a thought. If you want to be given credit for doing something "fresh & new", DON'T DO A REMAKE. Make an ORIGINAL movie, THAT will be fresh and new.

I like hobo Michael. I thought it was a realistic take on a murderer on the run. He'd look like a hobo(cause he is). I never understood the hate for hobo Michael.

And the opening scene in he hospital is amazing. It may be my favorite 15min of the whole series.

It does go off the deepend after that, but it's not as bad as "Halloween fans" make it out to be.

Like many horror films (and basically ALL films in general), H20 was a product of its time. A film should not be automatically faulted for this.

And "guest starring Michael Myers"? Michael was as much of a focal point for the story of H20 as he was in any other Halloween film, if not much more so.

Agreed. Also, the same people who made Scream are the ones who made H20, so there's bound to be some similarities in style between the two.

And the opening scene in he hospital is amazing. It may be my favorite 15min of the whole series.

That was the best scene that Zombie executed in either of his films (which isn't saying much), but of course, it was a dream sequence that didn't actually happen and had no impact on the story itself.

Here's a thought. If you want to be given credit for doing something "fresh & new", DON'T DO A REMAKE. Make an ORIGINAL movie, THAT will be fresh and new.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with making remakes or "re-imaginings", and a Halloween remake had the potential to be great. All it needed was suspense, tension, mystery, atmosphere, and at the very least, competent storytelling -- all things Zombie's remake lacked.

Even with ideas, story concepts, and characters that are "unoriginal", it's entirely possible for a film to still feel fresh, new, and exciting.

That was the best scene that Zombie executed in either of his films (which isn't saying much), but of course, it was a dream sequence that didn't actually happen and had no impact on the story itself.

The scene where Michael kills Rob & Linda in the first movie was pretty well done. It was enough like the original that it actually felt like a Halloween movie, yet at the same time was different enough that it felt new. Unfortunately that's not enough to save the crapfest that was the Rob Zombie Halloween experience.

I just love the look of that hospital scene I think it's well acted compared to horror movie standerds.
The fact that it's a dream ruins everything but I retcon that in my head to say that's the end of robs halloween and Laurie gets killed.

Anyone have a favorite Halloween kill?

I think for brutality mine is the nurse Karen in HII who gets her head repeatedly dunked into the boiling hot tub. When you start to see the skin peeling off her face.....

For suspense it's Lynda being strangled in H1, while Laurie is on the other end of the phone thinking it's Annie just fooling around. I love that shot of Michael putting the phone to his ear after he kills her;

2ivfz9f.jpg

Last edited:
This is up there for me, since it gave birth to Michael's trademark head tilt.

hqdefault.jpg

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with making remakes or "re-imaginings", and a Halloween remake had the potential to be great. All it needed was suspense, tension, mystery, atmosphere, and at the very least, competent storytelling -- all things Zombie's remake lacked.

Even with ideas, story concepts, and characters that are "unoriginal", it's entirely possible for a film to still feel fresh, new, and exciting.

Very true. Some of my favorite movies are in fact remakes or reimaginings (John Carpenter's The Thing, and the 1978 version of Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers for example). But Rob Zombie's writing and directing style just doesn't lend itself to competent storytelling. He makes good music and interesting music videos. Honestly, he should just stick to those mediums.

Anyone have a favorite Halloween kill?

I think for brutality mine is the nurse Karen in HII who gets her head repeatedly dunked into the boiling hot tub. When you start to see the skin peeling off her face.....

HII has some good kills in there. Hot tub one is pretty horrific.

I always liked Nurse Franco's hallway demise. Another show of strength from Michael.

Y0Ng7t8.png

The operating room massacre in H6 is also memorable. Very brutal and effectively filmed/edited.

[YT]watch?v=5Sr654NoNT4[/YT]

That gif is so eerie! Specially due to a few frames missing and suddenly you have Michael just standing there out of nowhere.

I love the girl next door's reaction when she heard the old lady screaming. "Well, she's always nagging him, so he probably got fed up and hit her. No big deal!"

This is up there for me, since it gave birth to Michael's trademark head tilt.

hqdefault.jpg

That was awesome and so creepy. The way he just stands there with that constant child like head tilt looking at Bob's corpse.

HII has some good kills in there. Hot tub one is pretty horrific.

I always liked Nurse Franco's hallway demise. Another show of strength from Michael.

Y0Ng7t8.png

I like how they homaged that in H20 when Michael kills Will in front of Laurie.

Earl you want mayonnaise on your sandwich? How about mustard? You sleep again?

I never cared for halloween 3 - 6 honestly, just felt like cheap tv movies and all the mask were terrible looking.

I thought the Halloween 6 mask looked decent.

Michael's look in H5 is probably my least fav.

LKU07Gh.jpg

Yeah, his H5 mask was God awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity