Han Solo Will Return

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by FilmNerdJamie, Feb 15, 2013.

1. CoolCadaver49

CoolCadaver49 Not a Hero...

I see where you are coming from, because it makes sense that they would break up eventually. However, it would feel cheap because their ending together was very concrete in RotJ. It's an "And they lived happily ever after" type deal.

The other major problem with this is that this is not Han or Leia's story. An unecessary subplot about how they split up after Jedi would just get in the way of building momentum for the new story.

Again, you bring up real life. In the context of Star Wars, a high space fantasy, building realistic romantic relationships is not that big of a deal.

Han Solo has already had his redemption arc. Setting him up as a loner again only regresses his character.

The original three (Han, Luke, Leia) aren't the main characters of the story anymore. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with this if they were. But in my mind, Episode VII should be about building new characters, not re-examining old ones.

2. spidey-dude

spidey-dude Y.N.W.A

I think human characteristics that are observable in real life should be transferable to any work of fiction whether that fiction is based in our world or otherwise

I see your point regarding the happy ever after, and for the final film it works, but if there are 3 more than I see there no reason for it to nessacarily stand, I didnt see their ending any more concrete than John and Holly's at the end of Die Hard 2 - whilst Han showed character progression he is still a man capable of making screw ups, I dont feel it negates his previous character progression it only shows him as being fallible.... human

They arent the main characters but for instance the new protagonists needing help may decide to seek out Solo who is alone for whatever reason - whilst not a main character or a main story it could still be present, it can be told through actions rather than exposition, maybe later on in the trilogy things are looking bleak and theres a scene of Han just approaching Leia and putting his arm round her shoulder as comfort in dark times, it doesnt need to be explicit or a major storyline, sometimes things hinted at work better - for me Han and Leia were too different to work as a happy ever after - Im not opposed to them still being together I just think it would be interesting if they werent

3. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

Thats entirely irrelevant given this is a fictional story, by that logic they shouldn't be speaking English either. The movie is being made for humans that easily connect with humans and human emotions. It doesn't matter that it's set in space they still need to seem human in order for us to connect with them. Really even those pixar movies about cars, fish, and toys all put them through a process called humanizing.

While you could make the argument that it'd be regressing his character, I had to point out just how off this statement is.

4. CoolCadaver49

You're missing my point, though it's my fault for wording it incorrectly. I'm talking about the genre. Star Wars is very mythological, and almost like a space fairy tale. I don't think that very much realism needs to be injected. I'd be like having a subplot about someone getting raped in Lord of the Rings. It happens in real life, sure, but it just doesn't fit the tone very well, imo.

5. CoolCadaver49

Yeah, I could see it working when you put it that way. I still think it carries a risk of invalidating a major subplot in ESB and RotJ, and it could end up as a retread of Han's previous arc. It's just not my cup of tea, but I see where you are coming from.

6. spidey-dude

spidey-dude Y.N.W.A

I realise that most people would like to see them together I just find Han more interesting not with Leia, the idea of him being a gruff old man who's down on his luck, maybe on the run from someone (although that would be a retread I guess), and has all these regrets, seeing these new kids as his possible path to redemption just really appeals to me and keeps alot of the characteristics I love about OT Han - however if them being together is done well and 'just works' I will be happy - really I guess it depends on the writing

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  7. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

I'd really to see someone out to kill Han Solo. Someone from back in his younger years that wants revenge. It wouldn't be a main plot, more of a side story that is connected to the central story.

8. Darthphere

Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

I hope they kill off everyone because.

9. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Ya very few on here have said..."because" many of us gave deeper reasons that would be more dramatic/thematic if they decided to go that route.

10. Darthphere

Well sure you can create a great justification behind it that includes story elements and natural progression within the plot. You're still however just justifying your blood lust.:cmad::o

11. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I want Han Solo to die like Peter Weller in Robocop. But bloodier!!

12. Mr.M

Mr.M Well-Known Member

I guess it would be funny if Leia had kids with someone else and not Han. I guess if Leia is in a more senatorial role and Han is still doing his space gigs, maybe they are no longer a pair, but still close friends. I'm still going to assume the young people in this movie are going to be their kids or grandkids so not having them together may confuse audiences.

13. Darthphere

Damn.:csad:

14. Katzenbach

Katzenbach Active Member

15. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

16. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

I could actually see Han and Leia separated. Maybe not even divorced but going through a rough patch and have to be away from eachother for a while due to their strong personalities. Then this plot will have to make them get back together and get along again. While along the way they bicker which we enjoy seeing.

17. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

I can't see them spending too much time on the elderly original three. It has a certain novelty that wears off quick and they'll probably be too focused on the new cast to do a big relationship arc.

18. Doctor Jones

I think the film will serve as the introduction of the new cast while at the same time, finding a story that also closes the old one. Though the only person I see staying on for more than one is Hamill.

19. Doctor Jones

Edit

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  20. Spider-Vader

Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

Having a redemption story fir Han again would be total backtracking, I'd rather not have that and just have the two together.

21. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Harrison Ford on Jimmy Kimmel last night. :lmao:

[YT]7T0vs9gYydo&feature=player_embedded#![/YT]

22. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

omg that's hilarious :lmao::lmao::lmao:

23. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

Awesome But I sure hope he gets to start talking about the film and his role

24. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

:applaud

25. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt he could still do a GREAT Han Solo even at his age after seeing that video!