Hawaii Five-O - Part 2

They could've killed off Chin Ho like in the original series, and had a big plot about it at the start of the season with the team investigating his murder. Of course, Kono would've wanted to be in on that, but she could've just guest starred and then could exit the series, needing to take time off. But then they would also have to write off Adam, which wouldn't have been a bad thing at all. I don't see why he has to stay on if she goes.
Chin is a dad now that won't be right. unless they are gonna let kono take over in his place. which it seem the writer have not thought in their minds about that at all. And that's too much of a nasty blow to that little girl . I agree with what you said though. but it's not in their minds sadly

Last edited:
Yep and he was subsequently stabbed in the eye and killed by Chin-Ho's ex brother-in-law when Knepper's IA guy thought he was going to get some dirt on H50.

That scene will always stick in his mind.

Looks like another character will be added, this time a dog that McGarrett adopts.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/10/spoiler-room-blindspot-brooklyn-nine-nine-greys-anatomy/
Anything on the Hawaii Five-0 team in season 8? — Elizabeth
I hear there’s going to be another new member of the team — but it’s definitely not who (or what!) you’re expecting. “There is a story that’s coming up, it actually was Alex O’Loughlin’s idea,” EP Peter Lenkov says. “I wanted to do a story where the victim left in the wake of a tragedy was a dog who lost its owner. It’s a very emotional, really great story. It’s a dog that’s a drug sniffing service dog that McGarrett ends up adopting. It’s a really emotional journey, but it was his idea to keep the dog, and I thought that was a great one.”

Am I wrong, but I remember reading a while back that O'Loughlin was leaving the show. Did something change?

He isn't although there were several times over the years he was rumored to after he messed up his body doing his own stunts (instead of letting the stunt men do their jobs).

Am I wrong, but I remember reading a while back that O'Loughlin was leaving the show. Did something change?
He gave an interview in the middle of last season where he said he was likely done after his contract ran out following S8 because of how beat up he was. He's since changed his tune a bit in subsequent interviews due to the off-season medical treatments (namely stem cell and platelet-rich plasma injections) he's received that have helped ease or rid him of the pain from those past injuries.

Oh man, I miss this show. We only just got season 6 on TV down here - usually I have to wait until the DVD comes out and then binge watch McGarrett and the gang.

No episode this last weekend? Was that because of Halloween? They normally have a Halloween episode. If they're showing that type of episode next Friday, it will seem as if the time has passed for that.

Don't know about this new team. I preferred it with Kono and Chin Ho. The new cast members seem like just side players.

The show got bumped for an animated Michael Jackson Halloween special so this week will be when H50 returns with their Halloween episode. Looks like Claire Forlani's Alicia Brown will be back for this episode and the next one. Based on the production codes, a few of the episodes this season have been moved around. They switched the 2nd and 3rd episodes while it looks like the 6th and 8th episodes will be swapped for one another. It didn't seem to matter for the first switched episodes but from looking at the press releases and photos for the 6-8th episodes, it does appear that it may affect some of the show's continuity.

Right now it feels like the McDanno show with Grover and Tani showing up to give them some numbers. Not sure I like how they're making Reigns complete the police academy while Tani didn't and McGarrett never had to do so.

Last edited:
I don't feel like watching a Halloween episode this coming weekend. It's like watching a Christmas episode in January. They should just show it on the night or not at all.

I didn't notice any continuity problems with the 2nd and 3rd episodes.

From the press photos for the upcoming episode and in subsequent ones, Scott Caan looks to have his arm in some type of arm brace, meaning he's likely going to be really limited. I looked around Twitter and it appears he returned to Hawaii a month ago or so with his arm still in a sling so this is going to be a long-term thing, which means they'll probably need to get Koale's Junior Reigns integrated into the team faster.

So is anybody watching? I haven't felt obligated too. Is this season worth it?

I'm watching but it's not the same now after Kono and Chin Ho left.

On the other hand I see it as the same show with wacky Commander McGarrett stunts, Detective Williams going missing in action at times. HPD always being late to the scene and taking horrifyingly high number of casualties. What is new is Captain Grover play Papa Lou to mentor the young rookie Tani.

Something is diffidently off with Junior. He wants to be 5-0 because they are the best like the SEALs I suppose but he is coming off like someone who never would have passed the psychological assessment of major police departments if Commander McGarrett had not hired him under the authority of the Governor's commission.

The Christmas episode was absolutely terribly edited together. They kept cutting back to Danno telling his son Charlie the story of McGarrett and Five-0 chasing the Santa criminals. But the flow of the episode was so interrupted because of the boy's stupid questions every few minutes, so that we could barely ever get into a rhythm with the real action before they cut away again.

Why couldn't they just use it as bookends instead of inserting it every couple of minutes that it broke up the story that way? And most of it was more a case of tell rather than show. Why did we need to keep hearing Danno's narration and what happened instead of seeing it for ourselves?

And it was almost as if they didn't film enough footage for it, or if they did, they edited out a ton of it. The part at the end where McGarrett defeated the villain was entirely narrated by Danno, and then we only saw a tiny shot of McGarrett standing over the criminal. Why would we want to hear about it instead of seeing it first hand?

The previous episode where Danno was shot was much better, but I was hoping we'd get a proper follow up to that, especially since they had a "previously on Hawaii Five-0" at the start of the following episode. It didn't relate to that at all.

The show lost all its steam after Wo-Fat was arrested. Then killed a short time later. IMHO, first two seasons of the show were rock solid action-adventure series. Then it became formulaic and generic to all the other procedurals that were out there. Started borrowing leftover plots from returns of CSI.

The Christmas episode was absolutely terribly edited together. They kept cutting back to Danno telling his son Charlie the story of McGarrett and Five-0 chasing the Santa criminals. But the flow of the episode was so interrupted because of the boy's stupid questions every few minutes, so that we could barely ever get into a rhythm with the real action before they cut away again.

Why couldn't they just use it as bookends instead of inserting it every couple of minutes that it broke up the story that way? And most of it was more a case of tell rather than show. Why did we need to keep hearing Danno's narration and what happened instead of seeing it for ourselves?

And it was almost as if they didn't film enough footage for it, or if they did, they edited out a ton of it. The part at the end where McGarrett defeated the villain was entirely narrated by Danno, and then we only saw a tiny shot of McGarrett standing over the criminal. Why would we want to hear about it instead of seeing it first hand?

The previous episode where Danno was shot was much better, but I was hoping we'd get a proper follow up to that, especially since they had a "previously on Hawaii Five-0" at the start of the following episode. It didn't relate to that at all.
That same narrative device was literally used in an episode of CSI: NY some years back.

That same narrative device was literally used in an episode of CSI: NY some years back.

If there was one (and I watched every episode of it) I don't remember it being as bad or disruptive as H50. There was no flow to this with it cutting back to the boy every couple of minutes. Maybe the CSI NY one did it much less or just bookended it?

CSI: NY

I recall it was their tech dude talking to some kids framing a murder investigation as some fairy tail where like the murder victim was a princess. It wasn't bookended, but there were multiple interruptions by the kids asking questions.

Another H50 episode ripped off like a roller derby episode of CSI: Miami. Literally the same stock plot.

And it wasn't even the second to rip that off. I've seen several procedural series that do the roller derby set up for some inexplicable reason.

H50 didn't really rip off CSI: Miami with the roller derby. The CSI: Miami one didn't have anyone go undercover in it.

H50 was more a copy of the Charlie's Angels episode "Angels on Wheels" where Farah Fawcett went undercover as a skater at the roller derby to investigate a murder. The CSI: Miami one was just that people died there and the CSIs had to investigate. There was no Emily Proctor or Eva LaRue on skates.

H50 was the same setting, but not really a rip off of the plot from CSI.

A lot of TV shows have also done the talk show or documentary setup with testimonials, which is the episode where Wo Fat finally gets caught. That's sort of when I stopped taking the show seriously.

Wo Fat was the show's big bad, and they had the episode where the team finally tracks him down and brings him to justice as the backdrop of a ****ing Wendi Williams talk show narrative. That's when the show sort of jumped the shark for me.

I maintain the first two seasons of Hawaii 5-0, it was one of the best shows on TV. Like 24 quality when 24 was actually good.

A lot of TV shows have also done the talk show or documentary setup with testimonials, which is the episode where Wo Fat finally gets caught. That's sort of when I stopped taking the show seriously.

Wo Fat was the show's big bad, and they had the episode where the team finally tracks him down and brings him to justice as the backdrop of a ****ing Wendi Williams talk show narrative. That's when the show sort of jumped the shark for me.

I maintain the first two seasons of Hawaii 5-0, it was one of the best shows on TV. Like 24 quality when 24 was actually good.

They never should have done that. Nor should they ever have connected him in any way to McGarrett's mother. Why does he have to have a personal connection?

He should've lasted right until the series finale. He should've been untouchable, and always somehow managing to get away. However, they already began diluting him before he was caught on that talk show. That was a terrible episode as well btw.

I think the second shark jump though was when Chin Ho and Kono left. They were core characters. It's not the same without them.

The show has a feel of winding down too, like they know there may not be another season after this. It might well end up being the end for me regardless of it gets another season or not.

The death of Wo Fat would've been the perfect way to cap off the show since he was the big bad. Sort of a disappointing send-off for him, but I always enjoyed the way Alex O'Loughlin played it. Dude is this hardcore soldier, but he looked fairly traumatized by the whole thing.

I was also weirded out by they gave Wo Fat that whole deformed heavily scarred Two-Face look, and that was fixed fairly quickly. Mark Dascasos probably didn't want to have to deal with the makeup issue for that.

I'm sure there is some very good corrective surgery out there for burn damage and scars, but nothing that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"