Hawaii Five-O - Part 2

The Magnum reboot wasn't ready yet. And MacGyver's reboot solidified their Friday block
My point is the show really should've ended a long time ago. And it ceased being good pretty much after they killed off Wo Fat.

The first two seasons of the show IMHO were greatness. It was like getting solid action adventure movies on TV. The subplots were compelling. Wo Fat was an actual threat.

Then around Season 3 onward, it started just resorting to lots of filler, lifting stock and repetitive TV plots that have been done dozens of times over by other procedurals. Wo Fat was the show's central villain. After he was gone, the show lost most of its steam.

I also still can't over how Wo Fat got apprehended in a ****ing talk show episode with Aisha Tyler playing a ****ing Wendy Williams knockoff. Wo Fat not only getting captured but getting half of his body freaking melted and turned into Two-Face. Something that basically gets lampshaded a short time later.

I think they also could've done more with Chin losing his wife. He executed his wife's killer. Let's be honest, he totally executed that dude. He murdered that Baldwin brother. That was basically illegal. That got lampshaded too. It never felt like they truly dealt with Chin's grief that could've been a dark and gripping ongoing subplot.

My point is the show really should've ended a long time ago. And it ceased being good pretty much after they killed off Wo Fat.

The first two seasons of the show IMHO were greatness. It was like getting solid action adventure movies on TV. The subplots were compelling. Wo Fat was an actual threat.

Then around Season 3 onward, it started just resorting to lots of filler, lifting stock and repetitive TV plots that have been done dozens of times over by other procedurals. Wo Fat was the show's central villain. After he was gone, the show lost most of its steam.

I also still can't over how Wo Fat got apprehended in a ****ing talk show episode with Aisha Tyler playing a ****ing Wendy Williams knockoff. Wo Fat not only getting captured but getting half of his body freaking melted and turned into Two-Face. Something that basically gets lampshaded a short time later.

I think they also could've done more with Chin losing his wife. He executed his wife's killer. Let's be honest, he totally executed that dude. He murdered that Baldwin brother. That was basically illegal. That got lampshaded too. It never felt like they truly dealt with Chin's grief that could've been a dark and gripping ongoing subplot.

What did he do again? I can't remember now.

I agree that it was terrible how they caught Wo Fat. That talk show episode was crap. I hate these filming style mockumentary episodes. They should never have killed him off so early or even connected him to McGarrett's mother.

Last season's "cliffhanger" was also terrible. It didn't even feel like a season finale but just something that would've been mid season with the sort of revelation they had which is typical for other episodes.

I wouldn't rate the first two season as great. In a way it is like Miami Vice back in the day where the first season was great and you watched the rest of the run hoping for touches of greatness which came on occasion.

In my opinion that first season was something different, not something great like Miami Vice's first season and since then you had touches of good and bad, but never as far as Vice fell as it moved towards the end.

As to why shows remain, it is either because a patron allows them to tell a story as he tries to change the world or because it makes money. And in a world with multiple NCIS,s multiple Criminal Minds and CSIs, H50 is no worse creatively than anything else shown on CBS so it comes down to does it make money and perform to accepted standard.

In a YMMV moment the faux Oprah Aisha Tyler episode is among my favorites after the first season when we had the wacky McGarrett enhanced interrogations

Considering how easily CBS' Friday lineup whoops the other networks' offerings, they'll continue with MacGyver, H50, and Blue Bloods for as long as those casts want to keep going. These shows are essentially printing money for CBS on a night that other networks have yet to figure out.

I wouldn't rate the first two season as great. In a way it is like Miami Vice back in the day where the first season was great and you watched the rest of the run hoping for touches of greatness which came on occasion.

In my opinion that first season was something different, not something great like Miami Vice's first season and since then you had touches of good and bad, but never as far as Vice fell as it moved towards the end.

As to why shows remain, it is either because a patron allows them to tell a story as he tries to change the world or because it makes money. And in a world with multiple NCIS,s multiple Criminal Minds and CSIs, H50 is no worse creatively than anything else shown on CBS so it comes down to does it make money and perform to accepted standard.

In a YMMV moment the faux Oprah Aisha Tyler episode is among my favorites after the first season when we had the wacky McGarrett enhanced interrogations
To finally catch Wo Fat in what was essentially a throwaway episode, not only catch him but have half of his body basically melted is unforgivable. It's bad storytelling.

The sensory deprivation stuff in the season premiere was taken straight from a Wo Fat ep from the original series that guest starred Leslie Nielsen.

It was a good retelling of "Cocoon" but with some modern twists that could lend itself to an extended storyline throughout the season.

As soon as the first scene appeared, I knew this was a remake of the original pilot, also called "Cocoon". I've been saying for years that they should do the sensory deprivation tank. They finally did it.

I think it was Wo-Fat though instead of the other bald guy who was behind it all in the original. That's why they had that hallucination scene at the beginning where McGarrett imagined it was him.

The way the original pilot started though, they showed the other agent in the tank first, and then when he was released from the suit, he let out a long scream of terror. Later, he was washed up on the beach. Then McGarrett found him, just like he did in this episode.

It was the same orange rubber suit too, and I think possibly the same shootout at the shipyard docks. Although I think Kono was in the original and was running up some gangway. Of course, they didn't have her this time, so they couldn't re-enact that scene.

It's really a shame they didn't have the real Wo-Fat for this. But that was their fault for killing him off too quickly.

The sensory deprivation stuff in the season premiere was taken straight from a Wo Fat ep from the original series that guest starred Leslie Nielsen.

It wasn't just any Wo-Fat episode. It was the pilot episode. I've remembered that episode (at least certain details of it like the sensory deprivation tank) for decades even though I've only ever seen it once in my life when I was young.

So why was Ian Anthony Dale still in the credits? They had 3 months to remove him from the credits.

So why was Ian Anthony Dale still in the credits? They had 3 months to remove him from the credits.

Maybe he's going to show up again. It's not the exact same credit sequence, I don't think, but an updated one from Season 8. So he probably will still feature at some point.

Anyway, now I'm satisfied they finally paid homage to the pilot. Better late than never. I just watched that video above. It's amazing how similar the details are to the original down to the set and overall look. That was probably the first time I ever heard of a sensory deprivation tank when I saw the pilot, so I've always remembered it ever since, especially whenever I've come across one in other shows or films. It always reminds me of Hawaii Five-O.

He's still part of the cast as he was off filming the CBS summer series Salvation when they began filming S9 of H50. From an interview Peter Lenkov gave, it sounds like he'll be back around episode 6 or 7.

It wasn't just any Wo-Fat episode. It was the pilot episode. I've remembered that episode (at least certain details of it like the sensory deprivation tank) for decades even though I've only ever seen it once in my life when I was young.
Yeah, I'd seen the episode when I was younger but I didn't know it was the first ever episode of the show, homaging it now for the 50th anniversary was a great idea from the showrunners.

The show delivered another fun Halloween episode! :D :up:

The show delivered another fun Halloween episode! :D :up:
They almost never disappoint in their Halloween episodes. I liked that they gave Jerry a meaty case that topped the one McG and the rest of the team were working.

They almost never disappoint in their Halloween episodes. I liked that they gave Jerry a meaty case that topped the one McG and the rest of the team were working.
Agreed, their Halloween eps have been a highlight nearly every season since the show started. Jerry's story was definitely the focus and rightfully so, it was classic urban legend 80's slasher flick stuff.

H5-0's upcoming Thanksgiving episode will feature Lou's family coming in, with his parents being played by Louis Gossett Jr and Gladys Knight.

Well the 200th episode wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I thought it was going to be completely frivolous with the cast playing different characters, but it turned out to be more of a serious take with a proper mystery. They also seemed to spend some money on the episode to recreate 1940s Hawaii pre-Pearl Harbor.

And Meagan Rath has a great singing voice (heard at the 1.00 mark here):

Why does Adam need to come back? What's the point?

Really enjoyed the Thanksgiving episode since it was nice to learn more about Grover and his family.

Just saw the 200th episode, I thought it was really well done, it was interesting that Steve dreamt the whole thing as his Grandfather being a detective, even though he never was, and I really liked how they intergrated the rest of the cast into different roles in the story.

The Thanksgiving episode was a bit meh, I noticed it was written by Chi McBride and directed by Tony from 24.

The Thanksgiving episode was more like a Hallmark or Lifetime movie. Not great, with the focus less on the case and more about Grover's family. Was a bit unusual to see Gladys Knight as Grover's mother. Are her sons the Pipsqueaks? :o

Are there any villains left on the show? It seems everyone of significance has been killed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"