HBO's True Detective - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this season really getting reviews that bad?

More like mixed. The reviews were based off the first 3 episodes that were released to the critics. All the reviews had the same common theme - that this season wasn't like the first one.

Vaughn's been awful so far but he has the most pretentious lines to deliver. Can't be easy. I don't think any of the other characters have really had awkward dialog, at least, nothing is coming to mind.
No, he's been very good, from where im sitting.

It's tough, but I'm waiting to binge watch at season's end.

More like mixed. The reviews were based off the first 3 episodes that were released to the critics. All the reviews had the same common theme - that this season wasn't like the first one.

Yeah, which kinda bugs me...because the argument isn't that it's bad, just different...and therefore bad? I think most of the people who liked the first season, and aren't sold on the current one could wind up changing their minds by the end of the season. I just think the people behind True Detective are amazing storytellers, and the first season wasn't just a fluke. There's was some masterful storytelling that went into season one that seems like it took way more skill than luck to me.

I can really appreciate changing things up, and not going for the same structure and storytelling pace as last season. If they're going to do an anthology series, then it's an even greater opportunity to change things up.

And I can also appreciate storytellers not holding the audiences hand. I think we've all seen the more egregious ways that a story (comic, novel, tv, movie, etc.) will blatantly tell you what's happening, to cover their ass on the audiences that don't pay attention or can't pay attention for a 45 or 50 minutes. I can think of how a character, for no reason other than to literally tell the audience something, will just say something that serves no other purpose. Or, the classic "new guy" who knows nothing and serves as a conduit for the audience to be eased into this universe. That one's pretty popular, and it is effective. I know going with the "pay attention or get left behind" approach to storytelling can rub people the wrong way, but I've often found that it can be more rewarding to attentive audiences.

Last edited:
I get a lot of people who reblog my TD stuff saying the same thing, "It's not the same" or "It doesn't beat season 1".

Hopefully that mindset changes with each episode.

Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch are apparently a real couple now. :ilv::o

The thing with Vince is that (at least for myself, but I have no doubt it's the same for others) we are so used to seeing him in comedic roles like Dodgeball, or Wedding Crashers, etc, etc, that seeing him in such a serious role definitely takes some time getting used to. It's weird not seeing him crack a joke or something, but I must say that he nailed the monologue in his bed, it could have been completely cartoonish or grotesque in lesser hands, I really bought it.

Farrell to no surprise is slaying it, McAdams is doing well, and Taylor seems to me like he has the most interesting role so far, Pizzaman cast him exactly because of what he projects, ie this haunted, edgy quality, there's a lot going on inside.

Considering that people are already backpedalling with regard to their opinions about the second season after the second episode, I have no doubt that many will have to eat crow come the end of the season.

Which was really always going to be the case.

Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch are apparently a real couple now. :ilv::o
This surprises me. I seem to recall him saying a while back that actresses were horrible to date, their egos were too big. I certainly hope in this case she proves him wrong and they do well together. :)

Is this season really getting reviews that bad?
Not really, you just have a very loud crowd of morons who are incapable of comprehending that this is an anthology series and, thus, most comparisons to the first season are irrelevant and unnecessary because this is completely its own thing.

Again, it's going to be amusing watching people inevitably come to the end of the season and try to make it seem as if the season had this huge turnaround in quality or something (assuming that the rest of it is good) when, in fact, it was solid the whole way through.

This isn't to say that I think this season has been flawless (there's certainly the odd line of dialogue here or there, and some directorial things), but it's certainly not as ****** as people are making it out to be elsewhere on the interwebs.

Last edited:
A bit off topic since I'm still behind on this season and am a newbie to TD, but I miraculously discovered that I had HBOgo and after starting Hannibal (and becoming obsessed with it as an alternative to watching True Detective), I finally had the time to start watching the first season.

I honestly thought the first two episodes of S1 were kind of a drag, but the third episode was absolutely tremendous and 4,5,6 were just the absolute peaks of the season before it settled into more straightforward storytelling and having just a tremendous catharsis at the end of the season. I honestly could not have been happier at the ending of S1.

I'll catch up on S2 soon, and I've been kinda wary after hearing some of the more lukewarm reception it got, but now that I've watched a season of TD already, I feel like Pizzolatto just takes awhile to get started and people are gonna have to get used to not having some of that Southern Gothic, Existential Horror aspect to it that came about with the Lousiana setting and the Dora Lange murder. Of course, McConaghuey and Harrelson provided towering performances and I don't know if Harrelson/McAdams/Vaughn/Kitsch can fill those shoes, but I'll be looking forward to see how this season rolls around. I don't know if it'll reach the highs of S1, but who knows.

One thing I do hope they have in S2 is something like the 6 minute tracking shot of Rust's failed attempt to get in with Ginger's contacts with episode 3. That was some ambitious cinematography from Fukunaga and co. and I hope someone can deliver something that epic, because that moment sold me on the season and I never looked back.

OKAY WATCHED THE FIRST TWO EPISODES.

Now that I've watched TD I can handle some of the slower pacing of these first two episodes. Farrel, Kitsch and McAdams can hold their own, and Vaughn I think can do menacing but not philosophical. He's really had the hardest things to deliver, but I think Vaughn has got the chops for it. My favorite character thus far is Ani, because McAdams gives life to a character that could easily be so dark and depressing that it could border on self-parody. I hope in future seasons we get more women on the show.

Last edited:
^I haven't even finished reading the article and I can already say it's garbage. Its only point I agree with is how clunky some of the dialog is.

This surprises me. I seem to recall him saying a while back that actresses were horrible to date, their egos were too big. I certainly hope in this case she proves him wrong and they do well together. :)

Yeah that's a tough statement to stick by when Rachel McAdams is out there in the world lol. :up:

Fred Ward! I love him! :D

Fred Ward?! What a pleasant surprise. Nic Pizzolato much have loved Tremors too. :oldrazz:

Loving the beginning to this episode. And seriously I am loving Colin. 3 episodes in but he is definitely my favorite of the 4 main characters. He's giving it his all like McConaughey, loving him big time.

What's so bad about e-cigs? :p

Was that cutie boy hooker in last season? The one Rust spoke to about the goings on the schools? I think it's the same guy.

Edit:IMDB says no but he sure looks familiar....

Last edited:
Not much to say other than some good character development all around (which has always really been Pizzolatto's deal throughout TD, character (acting) > story). Loved how they switched up pairing up Ani with Paul this week since Ray was out for the count with his injury.

Vaughn delivered as Frank I think this week. His face looks much slimmer and he can do a good mean face. Nice to get some action, even if it's just a chase, McAdams works her character well. Hope she gets some recognition for her role, even if this season isn't as well-received thus far as S1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"