History Channel's 'Vikings' - Part 1

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Dec 8, 2017.

1. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

Ragnar only claimed they did not have sex, it's kinda ambiguous if he was telling the truth (it is Ragnar).

2. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

I don't think he was lying. He said it at least twice after having come back from his mysterious 8 year absence. By then he was sort of repenting and more honest with other characters as well.

3. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

And he had nothing to gain by lying about it. Kwenthrith on the other hand gained protection for her son and she hoped for herself by claiming Ragnar was the father. Plus she was just generally a deceitful manipulative *****. So if I'm gonna believe one of them its gonna be Ragnar

4. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

Ok, I had forgotten that there was no proof of Magnus being Ragnar'son or not.

5. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Next season will be the shows last. Can't say I'm surprised at it feels like the show run out of steam.

'Vikings' Ending With Season 6 on History

The history channel should get the rights to some of Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction if they want more scripted shows. His Napoleonic Wars Sharpe series starring Sean Bean and The BBC/Netflix show The Last Kingdom are both very good.

6. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

It's also getting a sequel show, so there's obviously something deeper going on here.

jolldan likes this.
  7. jolldan

jolldan Well-Known Member

So my review for the first half of the season.

Really enjoyed it so far felt like it took an episode or two to really get going but I put that down to this being the biggest story they've had to tell. You had Bjorn's adventure's in the Mediterranean, Floki in Iceland, Ivar Ubbe and Hvitserk story, Athewulf Judith and their sons, Largetha in Kattegat and even a couple smaller stories like Bishop Headmund and King Harald's.

Not going to do write a bit on them all but will do a few of the stand outs.

Ivar - Credit to the actor here. It took me a long time to really be interested in any of Ragnar's sons (except Bjorn) but he was the first. Yes he seems to be fitting in as the new protagonist and is making a damn good one I find myself getting Jofferyesque vibes from him now which I know is the staple of good villain lol. I also really like as how this season he went from the weird creepy brother to the down right terrifying one.

Ubbe - He also has become a lot more compelling this season to me. I liked that he didn't give into Margarethe and didn't betray Largetha. Also that he wanted to fufil Ragnar's wish and make peace with England so they can settle there. Ivar seems to have got Ragnar's love of battle and strategy while Ubbe has go Ragnar's desire for peace.

Halfdan - Was sad he got killed but I had a feeling going in to it he was going to be a casualty. Really liked there was no filler with him every time he had a line it felt meaningful and unlike so many others he didn't long for power, love or land. He just wanted to live a full life. Even when Harald implores him to reconsider because they are family he tells him something like "maybe we put too much stake in that". Which didn't feel like a betrayal but a honest answer from him.

Bjorn - Really enjoyed the first 5 or 6 episodes with Bjorn. The Mediterranean stuff was great I loved it the first time round because it was just so different and explored different settings. He's still one of the most likeable people in the show to me so much so I didn't feel bad when he left Torvi which I know sounds bad lol (mostly because it seemed the most amicable separation I have seen on this show) also felt bad that he lost another woman with an axe to the face but those last couple episodes I see what people mean. I put it down to the conflict mainly being between the three brothers themselves and a Largetha vs. Ivar conflict. There doesn't seem to be a clear direction to point Bjorn so he is just sort of attached to this storyline without feeling like he has a real motivation.

Also had to laugh spent the first six episodes going "Man that guy looks like familiar" at one of the men in Floki's settlement and in turns out its Kjetill is Edge from the WWE lol he actually seems like a good actor. Eyving is gonna be getting the spear any day now:funny:.

8.5/10

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 5:18 AM
  8. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

Hahah i actually think season 5 is Vikings' worst season yet. I especially disliked the last episode.

9. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Hirst is certainly getting his money's worth from Iceland. That suicide scene was pretty well done from an asthetic standpoint.