The Dark Knight Rises I want to see Gordon smoking.

Is it really? That's f'n lame.

Violence and implied sex is just fine in pg-13, but a little cigarette is a no-go? :huh:

Tell that to all the teenagers who became habitual smokers and eventually died. What's really F-ing lame... to tell you the truth ... is that we live in a society that deems smoking to be necessary at all, much less in a movie.
Nolan's batman series is still aimed mostly towards teenagers, and as such... it's somewhat irresponsible to peddle the most lethal substance of the last century. Even though I personally view Nolan as an artist, and I would prefer it if he were never censored - I also know that you can't have it both ways some times. If it were me, I'd go for the R rating and have all the gratuitous imagery possible, but unfortunately I don't think WB agrees. And showing smoking in a PG-13 movie is just as inappropriate as showing sex or violence; perhaps even moreso, since it is much more plausible that a teen would pick up a pack of cigs than a rifle.

So i say, let's ban it from Hollywood, and - while we're at it - let's ban it from our culture and throw the *******s who produce it in jail for mass genocide. And uh... no, i don't really care if we see Gordon smoking.

Tell that to all the teenagers who became habitual smokers and eventually died. What's really F-ing lame... to tell you the truth ... is that we live in a society that deems smoking to be necessary at all, much less in a movie.
Calm down there, skip. I'm not even an advocate for smoking (hell, I hate smoking), but this isn't about that. Smoking was never necessary and isn't made out to be. It's not all that different from drinking alcohol.

Point is....people smoke. And there's nothing wrong with showing that in film. Unless it's played out as a stupid marketing ploy, then I see no reason why it should be banned when anyone can probably spot a smoker at least once a day if they go out. Banning it from film is a form of censorship, and I'm not particularly fond of that.

In any case, I will agree that it isn't at all necessary. But I have no issue with it, if it's shown.

The Incredible Hulk had General Ross smoking a cigar and there was enough violence in that film....stil got a pg-13 rating

how about we trade the smoking in for an aged gray haired Gordon? or is it too soon for that? lol

how about we trade the smoking in for an aged gray haired Gordon? or is it too soon for that? lol

He does have gray hair! It seems to be a continuity problem in TDK...But he does have gray hair!

Haven't stalked you in awhile MrWayne!:woot::whatever::oldrazz:

He does have gray hair! It seems to be a continuity problem in TDK...But he does have gray hair!

Haven't stalked you in awhile MrWayne!:woot::whatever::oldrazz:

uhhh yea i kno he does.. thats why i mentioned it.. but is it too soon in the time span for him to have grey hair? isnt this a year one of sorts?
and stalking is a no no :nono:
go stalk Anita lol

uhhh yea i kno he does.. thats why i mentioned it.. but is it too soon in the time span for him to have grey hair? isnt this a year one of sorts?
and stalking is a no no :nono:
go stalk Anita lol
You can get gray hair from stress. Being a legit cop in Gotham is certainly stressful.

I hope he grows a set in the next one. He's too timid.

for the record.

I LOVE CIGARETTES AND MISS THEM OH SO MUCH!!!

Seriously. When my family is held hostage first thing I do is kill them to show the kidnapper I would rather have them dead by me then by some maniac. Pfft people these days.

Oldman's got potential to make Gordon a real badass. Wait...then again, he already is. I think he's got really interesting character developmental potential for the next film. Imagine if they bring Essen into the mix!

I've read those comics and things change. Harvey is blonde, Joker wears makeup, Rachel is created...I just think it's be a really unnecessary addition, especially now so late into the franchise.
Right. The time to do it was in BB, when he was already the only clean cop on the force. If they decide to stick a smoking scene in the third film, it'd mess up the continuity. From what I've seen (I don't smoke but I know people who do), people who smoke out of stress pick up the habit early. People who are stressed but don't smoke simply find another outlet.

And even though it's an iconic shot in the comics, I don't think Nolan's Gordon has the same personality as comics Gordon. He isn't as jaded and cynical - he's just earnestly doing the right thing. I don't picture him smoking.

I think Gordon was smoking a pipe way back in Detective #27. And I remember him having a heart attack back in the 90's that was somewhat linked to his smoking. It fits the character, and I wouldn't have a problem with it whatsoever. It wouldn't screw up continuity! Gordon just became Commissioner in these films, and the stress level will only increase from here. And I'm not a smoker either. In fact, I hate cigarettes, truth be told.

^LMFAO!!!!

Seriously, if Gordon wasn't smoking in "Begins" why would there be a need to start now?

CFE

It's been explained many times. The stress gets to him, and undoubtedly after TDK, the weight is on Gordon's shoulders more than ever.

Drinking/Smoking aren't exactly uncommon remedies for these types of situations.

Well Commissioner Loeb pointed out drinking as a solution to the stress of his job. I can see Gordon swiping a few swigs from a flask every so often.

But at this point, it wouldn't make much sense for his to pull a tobacco pipe. I could've seen that happen in "TDK" but if the events of THAT film didn't push him into taking up smoking, nothing will.

CFE

Doesn't smoking in film warrant an R-rating nowadays?

William Hurt as General Ross in The Incredible Hulk was smoking cigars in the film and that film was a 12A (PG-13) so I guess it should be okay if the next Batman film has smoking.

Good guys shouldn't smoke ;)

Listen the man is the top cop in a city where you're as likely to be blasted in the face with acid at a bus stop as you are to be carjacked, let the man light up a ciggarette if he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"