I'm Reading Your Stuff: General News and Discussion Thread

If this goes through, do we think they'd also make a Flanagan Clayface film? Doing two Batman outings is one thing, but that seem would feel kinda odd. If it doesn't go through, I do hope they can entice him to dip his toes into something else. Flanagan would be a great hire.

If this goes through, do we think they'd also make a Flanagan Clayface film? Doing two Batman outings is one thing, but that seem would feel kinda odd. If it doesn't go through, I do hope they can entice him to dip his toes into something else. Flanagan would be a great hire.
No, unless Flanagan's pitch can somehow fit into the DCU down the line.

For whatever reason I keep thinking about Morrison's graphic novel Batman: Gothic.

"When the senior leaders of Gotham City's mobs find themselves hunted down by a figure from their past they turn to Batman for assistance."

That could be an interesting angle. Swap out Mr. Whisper with Clayface.

Definitely a cool starting point. I like the idea of the Mob being targeted, and Batman having to momentarily protect those that he’s actively fighting to takedown. His war on crime isn’t so black-and-white.

Definitely a cool starting point. I like the idea of the Mob being targeted, and Batman having to momentarily protect those that he’s actively fighting to takedown. His war on crime isn’t so black-and-white.
And unlike in Batman: Gothic, you could make Clayface more of a tragic figure (Mr. Whisper is a Grade A monster).

Last edited:
Something I could see Reeves doing is going full Long Halloween/Dark Victory and having Clayface be mysterious and killing off the mob and using Clayface characters from the comics as red herring characters so you are kept guessing which one of them it is.

Something I could see Reeves doing is going full Long Halloween/Dark Victory and having Clayface be mysterious and killing off the mob and using Clayface characters from the comics as red herring characters so you are kept guessing which one of them it is.

Whatever the villain and story for Part II ends up being, I do think it's a very safe bet at this point that Jeph Loeb's Batman works are the primary influence and inspiration for Reeves' interpretation of the mythology and how the films will be presented (character driven mysteries anchored by Bruce's perspective).

I truly believe that this Poison Ivy spin-off rumor can be true, reimagining a character and building on the original tale that inspired the creation of the character is exactly the kind of thing Matt Reeves would do just like he did with his Joker with permanent smile straight out of the movie "The Man Who Laughs".

And James Gunn said that Reeves pitched some amazing, really cool stuff, which leads me to believe those villains spin-offs are still going strong.

I truly believe that this Poison Ivy spin-off rumor can be true, reimagining a character and building on the original tale that inspired the creation of the character is exactly the kind of thing Matt Reeves would do just like he did with his Joker with permanent smile straight out of the movie "The Man Who Laughs".

And James Gunn said that Reeves pitched some amazing, really cool stuff, which leads me to believe those villains spin-offs are still going strong.
There’s a specificity to that Poison Ivy rumor that, to me, feels a step beyond the usual rumor mill ****.

Yeah, there's something about the specificity about Reeves turning to inspiration from the original Gothic Horror short story from the 1800's that inspired Poison Ivy's creation that feels legit to me. It feels very in-line with Reeves' approach to how he's been interpreting the cast so far, especially both for Batman and Joker.

If that rumor ends up being fake, it'll have been a rather convincing one to me.

Yeah, there's something about the specificity about Reeves turning to inspiration from the original Gothic Horror short story from the 1800's that inspired Poison Ivy's creation that feels legit to me. It feels very in-line with Reeves' approach to how he's been interpreting the cast so far, especially both for Batman and Joker.

If that rumor ends up being fake, it'll have been a rather convincing one to me.
Exactly, if the rumor was just that there would be a Poison Ivy spin-off without adding any details I wouldn't believe it so much, I'll be surprised if it's false.

I posted my comment in the rumors thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on getting these solo spinoff movies since it seems that wbd is just releasing movies as theatrical only and no longer doing direct to streaming movies.

That said, I am in agreement with everyone, that poison ivy pitch is a little too specific. Sounds to good to be true though.

Do we need more cheap crap flooding the comic book movie market?
Why would they automatically be cheap crap? They're good characters. No one would bat an eye at them getting a stand alone graphic novel spin off - no real difference there. Give a competent horror director that Poison Ivy concept for instance and it could be really good. Frankly I would be more interested in that with the right director than, I dunno, a Green Lantern movie.

C'mon now. Lower budgets than your typical $100-150M comic book outing does not equal cheap. Especially if they're films. If you're talking cheap ideas, that all depends on the execution of them.

There’s a specificity to that Poison Ivy rumor that, to me, feels a step beyond the usual rumor mill ****.
Agreed. I really hope that one in particular is true. I've wanted to see poison ivy again for years now, and that description of what she could be based off here is exactly the type of thing I'd love to see. I say it's about time.

Same for Clayface! He's a character that I think the GA isn't so familiar with. Nows a good a time as any.

Original-Golden Age Clayface(Basil Karlo) f
latest

Last edited:
They sound like smaller budget affairs and lower risk.
It's the kind of thing Zaslav hinted he wanted more of when he talked about the Joker movie. Low budget + Batman brand = Easy profit.

Hoult lost out on “The Batman,” “Top Gun: Maverick” and “Mission: Impossible 7” all in a row. “The Batman” director Matt Reeves selected Robert Pattinson for his Batman/Bruce Wayne, and the two are set to go into production on “The Batman: Part II” later this year. The first film earned $770 million at the worldwide box office.

Nicholas Hoult Lost Batman, Top Gun Maverick and Mission: Impossible 7 - Variety

Sucks for Nicholas Hoult but here's another confirmation about The Batman Part II going into production later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"