Interstellar - Part 10

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mysteryman Registered

There is nothing wrong with asking questions about a movie's plot.

2. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

seems to me the longer Nolan makes his films, the more problems they start to contain

i think his films are becoming a little too self-indulgent

3. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I'm usually somewhat cold towards Nolan films, his approach is not always my cup of tea, but Interstellar was one of my favorite films of last year.

4. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Rewatched it a while ago and liked it even more than the first time. When the intricacies of the plot and the concepts were more familiar I got the time to really appreciate the visuals, the music and the overall filmmaking – all very memorable, captivating and interesting.

5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I haven't watched it in a while but I find myself looking back on it more fondly the further I get away from it. It has a very specific mood about it that's kind of magical to me when I think about it. The music plays a big part in that, imo.

6. superboy13 Farmboy

If there's one thing we can't say about Nolan is that he doesn't explain stuff. Over and over and over.

7. Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

Nolan's films highlight why I love films. I truly escape and enter the world in front of me. He's a colder pre-Schindler's List Spielberg in some aspects.

8. Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

I have a friend who irrationally hates Inception because when she first watched it, she didn't understand what was going on and refuses to watch it again because she it's "convoluted." But she loved Interstellar.

Blew my damn mind. And she is a graduate student right now.

:o

9. redfirebird2008 Registered

Agree. I really enjoy all of his movies, but I would like to see him make a shorter one again. He's been in a 2.5+ hour rut ever since TDK.

10. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Mind you, Nolan hasn't even made a movie that's crossed the 3 hour mark yet. I would actually love to see him do a proper 3 1/2 hour Lawrence of Arabia style epic some day, because I think TDKR could have benefited from a longer runtime. If anything, I think Nolan's restraint is somewhat at odds with his ambition at times. But at least Nolan justifies his runtime with actual content, unlike Peter Jackson for instance where you get so much bloat for the sake of bloat.

I had no problem with Interstellar's pacing though. I'm also curious to see if Nolan ends up embracing the new IMAX laser projection technology. If so, it may eliminate the issue of the runtime limit for 15/70.

Completely agree. The movie has an almost spiritual type of feel to it, that's simultaneously haunting and inspiring. It creates a very distinct mood that stays with you. And the score has a huge hand in that, you're absolutely right.

Some of the visuals are just all-time great space visuals too- Gargantua, traveling through the wormhole, the Jupiter shot, etc.

11. Travesty Registered

This is on Amazon Prime now. I haven't seen it since my first time in theaters.

12. Guts Smug

This is one of the first times that I've listened to a movie's soundtrack more times than I've actually seen the movie.

13. Tacit Ronin Registered

This is Nolan's best film after Memento for sure.

14. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

No way. I wouldn't even rank it in Nolan's top 5 movies.

15. Tacit Ronin Registered

It has that effect. For some it's Nolan's worst, for others it's his best.

16. OcStat Registered

Saw it again today. It is the best, or I should say, my personal favorite Nolan film. Debated it in the theater but this followed by Inception / The Dark Knight tie for 2nd and Memento rounding up the top 3. I'm even tempted to put The Dark Knight down a notch to an honorable mention, as much as I love it, since out of the four it is the only adaptation.

#566 OcStat, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  17. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

It is that type of movie, personally I absolutely love it and thinks it's one of Nolans best, but I know plenty of people who think the opposite. It's certainly his most divisive.

18. Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I "admire" Interstellar more than "like" it.

It's the most laborious and has the least rewatchability factor of Nolan's films, to me.

I can pretty much pop in Inception or his Batman movies (yes including TDKR) whenever, but I struggle to commit myself to getting through Interstellar like that.

On the other hand, it is the most emotional of Nolan's movies. Some people say he's cold, and maybe sometimes he is, but Interstellar is filled with emotion. The scene where Cooper catches up on all the backlogged videos?

(for that matter, I think there's a lot of heart in Inception, but I digress)

I do think the third act goes off the rails though. It seems weird to spend the previous two hours being rigorously scientifically realistic, and then get all trippy and metaphysical in the 11th hour.

And it has a pretty anti-climactic emotional payoff for the Coop/Murph relationship that's the emotional lynchpin of the entire movie.

19. Travesty Registered

I watched it again on Amazon, and I enjoyed it less the second time. It's still not a horrible movie, but goddamn, is it long and boring in parts.

20. Galactus10 Registered

Interstellar is such a great film.

I can't picture anyone other than McConaughey in the lead role. I like how much science is respected in this movie, even if the plot is not a slave to modern science, it shows more respect and acknowledgment than most all sci fi movies with a space aspect

21. Kane52630 XO User

Matt Damon's part is the only part that's watchable. And even then... i'd rather watch The Martian again. (which I did recently. :o )

22. Consona Registered

Wow, this film is so divisive. It's in my top 5 of best films ever, but YMMV, obviously... [​IMG]

23. kvz5 HBIC

Maybe it's just me but I can actually see Damon as Cooper easily but I can't envision McConaughey as Mark. And I like both actors and films so that's not a dig against either.

24. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I really enjoyed The Martian. I still don't really get the comparisons though, other than it takes place in space and Jessica Chastain and Matt Damon are in it.

Interstellar just has so much more depth and wonder to it. It's a space film that's actually about the universe as much as it's about the characters, whereas The Martian was Cast Away meets Apollo 13. Nothing wrong with that at all, it was Ridley's best film in years and he pulled it off perfectly. For me, I enjoyed The Martian more when it came to the first viewing, but having seen them both multiple times it's Interstellar that gets better whereas The Martian kind of stays the same as that's kind of the nature of the two movies.

25. Travesty Registered

Yeah, the Martian is a lot more like Cast Away, while Interstellar is like a 2001-light.