• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Is America still the coolest kid in school?

Yea that's not your average Americans fault, no way. And I suppose with the US being so massive the way people think is different than how we think in Britain.

But there are some people who just don't care about anywhere else or anyone else. There is a video on youtube interviewing loads of Americans on the street, asking them questions about different countries and that. I was shocked to find that a lot of these people don't even know where Iraq or North Korea are. These are countries we are either at war with or have had some rocky encounters with. A few people even though Australia was North Korea!! The hint is in the name...NORTH Korea. Then you have people who actually believe that the British currency is dollars. The ignorance is outstanding and cannot be excused imo.

But i'm not trying bash Americans here, I bet every country in the world has people like that. But you think a superpower like America would be better than that. You can't be surprised with some people conceptions of America.

Never take those kind of shows serious they are very subjective...for every dumb-ass they show there is a smart one which THEY DON'T SHOW.......they late night talk shows here in the States do it all the time.

I have aspired to be like America all my life.

Last week I took the money from a poor coloured person and gave it to a fat, rich, white guy. I then punched somebody because I felt at some point in the future I thought he might punch me, he was a quadrapoligic.

People then started to show their appreciation of me by screaming "boo-urns" at me.
:huh: Are you Stephen Colbert? If you want to be like America I suggest you become a large land mass connected to two others and then divide your self into some states.

And you are from Ireland...punching people over there is second nature after your pint of Guiness:o

Haha, they go to a soccer brawl and a game breaks out, huh?

And yet you just generalized my home. I'm from Texas and by your account I should be some Christian Biblethumper.

Anyone wanna field this one?

But I see that you don't want to be guilty of that. So please don't judge Texans by what you've read from Moviefan. Or what you've seen from George Bush.

Some of us are downright edumacated.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Not what I intended at all; it goes back to an old argument we had with Moviefan in which we asked him whether he'd have the same opinion if he'd been born in the Middle East, and he never answered.

Yes please don't judge us Texans by that banned poster or by George W. *****e.

Well, in all fairness, I have been to every big city in Texas and... the only two enjoyable ones were Austin and San Antonio. Houston and Dallas legitimately made me afraid to be there. Now, there are a lot of smart people in Texas, as it is a big state, but culturally, Texas sort of projects itself as the epitome of ignorance, in the grander scheme of things.

Never been afraid in NY? Detroit? D.C.? L.A.? New Orleans?

As far as ignorance is concerned, in what way does Texas stand out culturally?

:thing: :doom: :thing:

I have been to all of those places except L.A. and I feared for my life most in Detroit:o NY was filled with busy a-holes that wouldn't stop for a stabbing in the middle of a street and of course aside from the tourists you see and hear the angry guidos. New Orleans was filled with crack heads and drunks on every corner. D.C. was populated by ***hole politicians and tourists.

Although that is what I pedominantly saw...I won't say that everyone from those places all act that way:o

Ahhh. So nothing concrete. Just superficial judgement.

Gotcha. :D

I think I'll head over to the Johnson Space Center.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Pretty judgemental for a homosexual. Maybe you should cut the Mormons a break.

Sorry... but when I walk around in Houston and Dallas and end up told that I'm going to hell for not believing in Jesus Christ by absolute strangers, while also putting up with the jingoistic "You don't mess with Texas" attitude virtually every white middle aged Texan male, while also forced to hear people discuss how them Mexicans are stealing jobs and how those queers ought to not be allowed to teach children in schools, I consider that ignorance. And I have no problem judging people who judge others when they can't take care of themselves.

America is the coolest kid in class, class president, captain of the football team and all of that. Problem is, America graduated 30 years ago, still has a mullet, wears acid washed Guess jeans and a Member's Only Jacket while cruising around in a busted up Camaro blaring Whitesnake while catcalling 17 year old girls.

Last edited:
They seem to be taking care of themselves just fine. As for going to Hell... I thought all Christians thought people who don't believe in Jesus are going to Hell. Is your problem the fact that these people were honest? What's that got to do with ignorance?

When I lived in Chicago I heard alot of people who were worrying about Mexicans stealing their jobs and I'm pretty sure New Yorkers are worried about queers teaching their children.

So what again is specific to the region of Texas? I believe the truth can be found in your first post. You have a problem with hats and accents.

They seem to be taking care of themselves just fine. As for going to Hell... I thought all Christians thought people who don't believe in Jesus are going to Hell. Is your problem the fact that these people were honest? What's that got to do with ignorance?

When I lived in Chicago I heard alot of people who were worrying about Mexicans stealing their jobs and I'm pretty sure New Yorkers are worried about queers teaching their children.

So what again is specific to the region of Texas? I believe the truth can be found in your first post. You have a problem with hats and accents.

It is worse in Texas and more widespread. I experienced this in two different cities, both visits years apart. I know people from Texas who think the same way. And while you're right that this sort of behavior exists all over the place, to deny that it isn't more evident in Texas or in the South in general is dishonest.

As for the religious nuts, I don't care about their religious beliefs. The fact that they cram their faith down the throats of strangers without knowing anything about them is the definition of ignorance. And yes-- it is worse in Texas than any other state I have been to. This includes Alabama.

My problem has nothing to do with accents and hats, and everything to do with the way people there express their opinions and act towards strangers.

I have been to all of those places except L.A. and I feared for my life most in Detroit:o NY was filled with busy a-holes that wouldn't stop for a stabbing in the middle of a street and of course aside from the tourists you see and hear the angry guidos. New Orleans was filled with crack heads and drunks on every corner. D.C. was populated by ***hole politicians and tourists.

Although that is what I pedominantly saw...I won't say that everyone from those places all act that way:o

I didn't say everyone from Texas was ignorant or intolerant, did I?

I doubt you've clocked enough time anywhere to make those calls. But whatever, I'll just accept that you're prejudice and try to move on. I guess it will also sway my thoughts when reading your posts.

I really expected better from you, jman.

:(

:thing: :thing: :thing:

canada seems like the sensible older brother who has to take a rap for its lil brother's antics.

call a canadian american and they'll spit venom in your eyes

It's true. Thankfully that's never happened to me haha. Even when I go down to the states people can tell I'm Canadian from my accent hahah :o

LOL yea, that's another thing I hate about SOME Americans. Granted it's usually just some little tossers on xbox live or whatever, but they are always going on about us speaking German if it wasn't for them. It's bullcrap. The British Navy obliterated the Nazi navy in the Atlantic, if it wasn't for that, there would be no support to the US troops in Europe. Then we won a thing called "the battle of Britain". And anyway, the war was a combined effort, some Americans don't seem to realize that. It's like me saying "Well all you guys would still be red indians living in teepees howling at the moon if it wasn't for us." Well at least that has some truth in it.
To be fair and with the greatest of hindsight....

I think the brits may have overhyped the importance of the battle of britain.

It's kinda like when they get two golds at an olympics and it causes a parade around london. It's very british to over glamourise it's victories.

I don't take anything away from soldiers but as for the story itself...meh

I doubt you've clocked enough time anywhere to make those calls. But whatever, I'll just accept that you're prejudice and try to move on. I guess it will also sway my thoughts when reading your posts.

I really expected better from you, jman.

:(

:thing: :thing: :thing:

I did NOT say that everyone from Texas was ignorant or intolerant.

I mean, what do you want me to say? "Yeah, a lot of Texans said I was going to hell and that the Northeast is ******ed and that Mexicans should be shot and that queers shouldn't be allowed to teach, but hey, I guess everyone has different opinions, so good for them!"

:huh:

I DID say that the collective attitudes which exist culturally in that state project it as a culture filled with ignorance-- in the grander scheme of things. That does NOT say that everyone there is ignorant, intolerant, or even caters to that ideology.

I have been to multiple cities in this country and I can say that my experiences in Houston and Dallas are experiences I do not want to relive, precisely because of what I encountered there.

I know you expect everyone to agree with you on everything you post, but seriously, don't judge me because I find your state less-than-charming.

I'd also like to point out that one of my roommates is from Plano and agrees with what I have been writing here.

Tell that Plano buddy of yours to put down the heroin and convince you not to be prejudiced.

Franklin, lets put on our cowboy hats, saddle up the horses, and ride out of here:o

To be fair and with the greatest of hindsight....

I think the brits may have overhyped the importance of the battle of britain.

It's kinda like when they get two golds at an olympics and it causes a parade around london. It's very british to over glamourise it's victories.

I don't take anything away from soldiers but as for the story itself...meh

How is it overhyped? If we didn't win that battle, the whole east coast of England would be a crater, including London. Plus the channel would be swamped with German landing ships. But anyway, the real fight was won in the Atlantic, British Navy FTMFW :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"