World Is this movie keeping in smallville continuity?

The PhantaZm

Sidekick
Reaction score
I sure as hell hope not. In an interview bryan singer seemed to be suggesting that they were. I'm not a fan of the show, so I hope they stay as far away from it as possible.

I'm not to big on the idea of having this movie be somewhat of a sequel to superman 2 either. I'd rather they just scrap everything and start from scratch like BB, but thats a lesser gripe.

Vague History is the word I keep hearing.

But....Smallville is an elseword tale. It's a modern take on Superboy......remember that.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Vague History is the word I keep hearing.

But....Smallville is an elseword tale. It's a modern take on Superboy......remember that.

:up:

I agree with chrisbale, but I sorta have a feeling that Smallville is trying to tie into SR. Just look at the evolution of the Daily Planet from Smallville, with each episode it looks more and more like SR's Daily Planet.

The FOS looks oddly familiar, Jonathan Kent and his whole situation, Zod, the look of the Phantom Zone, Kryptonian Crystals.

Just to illistrate what I'm talking about:

wmplayer%202005-11-04%2019-39-11-68.jpg

wmplayer%202006-02-06%2021-42-44-62.jpg

And these are only MID-season screen caps.

Superman Returns will follow Smallville about as much as Batman Begins followed the Adam West Batman show. Just coincidences with the mythology.

At least the Batman TV show was intentionally funny. Smallville is usually just bad funny.

smallville is not an elseworld tale
and it has its own continuity but superman returns wont 'tread' over smallville as bryan said him self, smallville will now try add storylines which will work along side the new movie in their next season. this is because as far as bryan is concerned
superman returns is an amalgamation of all the superman mythos up to date. :up:

Trooper said:
and it has its own continuity but superman returns wont 'tread' over smallville as bryan said him self, smallville will now try add storylines which will work along side the new movie in their next season. this is because as far as bryan is concerned

any interpretation of superman outside the current comics line (AOS, MOS, S, AC) is considered an elseworld's tale.

elseworld's does not mean it's wrong/right, it's just a different interpretation of the character.

you could even say that SR is an elseworld's tale of superman, because it does in fact lie outside the world of the comics.

but yes, smallville is definitely an elseworld's tale. superman canon shows that clark didn't meet lois until he started at the dp (unlike smallville), shows no evidence that there were meteor freaks-of-the-week, etc.

again, it's not wrong or right. just a different take on the story.

dabilee01 said:
any interpretation of superman outside the current comics line (AOS, MOS, S, AC) is considered an elseworld's tale.

elseworld's does not mean it's wrong/right, it's just a different interpretation of the character.

you could even say that SR is an elseworld's tale of superman, because it does in fact lie outside the world of the comics.

but yes, smallville is definitely an elseworld's tale. superman canon shows that clark didn't meet lois until he started at the dp (unlike smallville), shows no evidence that there were meteor freaks-of-the-week, etc.

again, it's not wrong or right. just a different take on the story.

sorry but you cant call all interpretations of superman outside the AOS, MOS, S, AC comic line 'else-world tales' i mean theres several inconsitancies within those comics aswell due to the different interpreations of superman within the comic titles - spanning over the several decades of different writers over different story archs, it doesnt mean its elseworld so your wrong.

Trooper said:

Superman Returns, no matter how good it is, is not an amalgamation of the enitre Superman mythos. It is a follow up on the Donner film with Fleischer cartoon like imagery. There are no post-crisis comic elements, nothing from the Timm Animated Series, nothing from Smallville, L&C, or Superboy, and nothing from Birthright. No matter how good this film might be, it disregards everything from 78 on.

By the way, S:TAS is way better than Fleischer:)

It's a modern take on Superboy, that's why it's an Elseworld tale.

Elseworld means something that is dramatically different from the normal continuity.........alot of things are different in Smallville compared to the comics.

Smallville does a nice job of blending in STM elements with PRE-CRISIS material as well. Phantom Zone, The look of the FOS, and Pa Kent dying....things like are from the old films.

I don't see how SR could follow SV's foot steps if it's trying to follow STM.

One thing I could totally dig, is a past friendship between Lex and Clark.

venom420 said:
Superman Returns, no matter how good it is, is not an amalgamation of the enitre Superman mythos. It is a follow up on the Donner film with Fleischer cartoon like imagery. There are no post-crisis comic elements, nothing from the Timm Animated Series, nothing from Smallville, L&C, or Superboy, and nothing from Birthright. No matter how good this film might be, it disregards everything from 78 on.

By the way, S:TAS is way better than Fleischer:)

Only in your opinion.

About the Animated Series being better or the whole post? Cause my response to your post could go two different ways.

venom420 said:
About the Animated Series being better or the whole post? Cause my response to your post could go two different ways.

About TAS being better than Fleischer.

The you are correct, that is just my opinion. I truly feel the characterizations and storylines are way over Fleischers head.

I thought SR was kind of like a soft reboot to the Superman series. So in a way it does take everything else out of continuity, but it takes a little bit of everything. ie, Superman/Lex past, Superman/Lois past, etc.

venom420 said:
The you are correct, that is just my opinion. I truly feel the characterizations and storylines are way over Fleischers head.

I personally hate TAS with a passion it embodies everything that is wrong with Post-Crisis: Superwhimp, bad storytelling etc. Heck, the most idiotic idea is making Brainiac an A.I from Krypton.

Oh and the art work also sucked.

Well in my opinion

When I think of SUPERMAN the list is

(1) The Comic book version [Post Crisis]

(2) Christopher Reeve - [SUPERMAN movies]

(3) Tim Daly - [SUPERMAN : The ANIMATED SERIES]

(4) George Reeves - [The Adventures of Superman]

[5] George Newbern - [Justice league & JLU cartoon]

[6] Clayton 'Bud' Collyer - [Fleischer Superman Cartoons]

[7] Kirk Alyn - [Superman Movie Serials]

[8] Dean Cain - [Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman]

----------------

I see Smallville as an Elseworld tale of superboy from smallville.

Emrys said:
I personally hate TAS with a passion it embodies everything that is wrong with Post-Crisis: Superwhimp, bad storytelling etc. Heck, the most idiotic idea is making Brainiac an A.I from Krypton.

Oh and the art work also sucked.

I geuss thats your opinion!

SR is...very odd.

The novelization, the prequel comics, and basically everything else that expands on SR's story links SR directly to STM, if not S2 as well. But, it seems like the actual film is set up so you can basically tie it to whatever you want to tie it to. It could fit with Smallville, if you want it to. If could have nothing to do with Smallvillie, if you want it to. The concept may be quite brilliant, or quite crazy, but either way, it's definitely confusing.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Wow....that's the firs tguy I ever met who hates TAS..
You have to understand...Emrys is a communist.

As long as these new Movies never mention the fact that Clark met & knew Lois, Lex & Perry when he was younger & Lex at one point was his best Friend. This could actually fit in with Smallville in various ways :o BUt again they have to stay away from those faces. Hell Smallville could have been the Prequel to Lois & Clark but in that Series he met Lois & Perry at the Planet for the very first time not back at home. In some ways Superman Returns CAN be a Smallville continuation as long as they ignore certain facts

well I don't thint it's in smallville's continuity. Martha's so old... other little things also probably won't link up. although bosworth's lois reminds me of durance's in the taxi scene. Inspiration's being drawn mostly from the donner movies, but also from the fleischer serials too. I've noticed supes, like in those serials will be saving lois from the clutches of an evil villian with no super powers and do some amazing physical feats to save the day. should be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"