World Is this movie keeping in smallville continuity?

venom420 said:
There is no chance taking when it comes to Luthor in Superman Returns.

Why? If you can accept anything on Smallville or the animated series that was done, why not Spaceys take? He's like the 10th guy to play the role in one form or another, and they are all different.

venom420 said:

Then youre a hypocrite about advocating taking chances.

venom420 said:

Aren't you one of the guys who talks smack about SR in the Smallville forums? :o

I don't like Singer's take because it keeps in line with the 78 Lex. TAS and Smallville's are both superior to that version. Spacey may be great at playing this role how it should be played, but from what I gathered in the novel, everything was very much like Donner's Lex. Yea he is way pissed at Superman, but thats it. Everything else is basically the same.

I don't see how Im a hypocrite either, although if you personally consider bringing the 1978 Lex Luthor back to the big screen than I can see the point your trying to make.

And yes, in the Smallville forum I posted that the Smallville Lex was superior to Singer's Lex, notice there is no comparison between the actors just the takes on the characters, and I stand by my statement. I also said it was ironic that Routh and Bosworth both tested for Smallville but lost to Welling and Kreuk, and now there in the movie.

Again, Im going off what Ive read in the novel, and I did re-read it again, what ive seen in the trailers, the fairly accurate fact that this film is a continuation plus some fleischer images, production notes, character notes, and blogs.

Nivek said:
At the rate Smallville is going, Clark can never become Superman. Too many people who should know him as Superman already know him as Clark Kent.

Yes, that drives me nuts. Lois Lane shouldn't have been brought in to Smallville. There is no way when Clark puts on the tights, she won't know who he is.

Lex Luthor in Smallville was the worst part of Birthright for me, and I was one of those who liked it. They tried to explain why Luthor wouldn't know and it just made no sense at all.

Lex acted like such a whiny baby in Birthright in Smallville, it was annoying.

venom420 said:
I don't see how Im a hypocrite either, although if you personally consider bringing the 1978 Lex Luthor back to the big screen than I can see the point your trying to make.

You are though. You were advocating the show for taking chances that may or may not work; then you condemn taking the chance of doing an original Lex Luthor characterization for the film.......when the film isnt even out yet.

That doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

Kane said:
You are though. You were advocating the show for taking chances that may or may not work; then you condemn taking the chance of doing an original Lex Luthor characterization for the film.......when the film isnt even out yet.

That doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

Listen Kane, after I read the novel, I sat down and truly thought about what kind of Lex it was. Personally, the conclusion that I came to was it's Hackmans Lex, with the only thing different being how pissed Lex was at Superman. Everything else about the character was the same to ME, therefor making it un-original in my eyes.

i do agree with you on some level Venom420, Tom welling and Michael Rosenbuam should of been superman and Lex in the movies. I can't get over how much Tom welling looks like a real life superman! anyone who hates smallville has to admit they could imagine welling in the suit, before they could Routh. I like Routh, but he just doesn't fit. Im not sure if its Rouths smaller physiue [compared to Wellings superior body] im not sure if its wellling cheek bones lol, but Routh coemes of wrong for the part. Every time i see him in a trailer, i get a very bland feeling.

This is how Smallville will end

Clark to Jor El

Clark - "Hey Jor El do me a favor"
Jor El - "What is it"
Clark - "I need another time Crystal"
Jor El - "I told you about that Son"
Clark - "No wait here me out. I want to travel to the future, where I can be fully grown up thanks to time traveling Lana will be stuck in Smallville, Lex will be my nemesis & you know how you always wanted me to accept my destiny, well if I go to the future & we skip all of the boring stuff I would have embraced my destiny by then"
Jor El - "Heres your Time Crystal

Then the last thing we will see is a big White Flash saying "The End"

Well based on that shot in TV Spot #12, it seems as if Singer took the inspiration from SV in regards of Superman's "look" of heat vision.

LostSon88 said:
Well based on that shot in TV Spot #12, it seems as if Singer took the inspiration from SV in regards of Superman's "look" of heat vision.

Singer has said many times that there were "homeages" perhaps that is one of them

Trooper said:
sorry but you cant call all interpretations of superman outside the AOS, MOS, S, AC comic line 'else-world tales' i mean theres several inconsitancies within those comics aswell due to the different interpreations of superman within the comic titles - spanning over the several decades of different writers over different story archs, it doesnt mean its elseworld so your wrong.

Actually anything other then the original comics by [SIZE=-1]Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster is considered an elseworld tale unless the storylines which were created by Siegel & Shuster is continued by another writer for comics or picked up to be made into a movie or tv show...

So in other words everything which has ever come out to live media has been an elseworld tale for they dont tell the storylines exactly how they were written by S&S.

Lois & Clark was an else world, Smallville is an elseworld, and Superman Returns is also an elseworld movie.
[/SIZE]

^^ that's an awfully strict way of looking at it but you are correct.

but then half the stuff that made the Superman lore so rich and memorable were ideas contributed by other writers and from other medium.

I do not believe that silver age Superman was as character rich as the new stuff of today. Writers then didn't really understand the importance of good character development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"