It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'ts interesting that posters refer to the decision to drop the trunks as an effort to update or modernize the suit, when in fact the intent of excluding the trunks is to put emphasis on the alien nature of the suit as it is a Kryptonian garment. Humans wear trunks, Kryptonians do not.

My two cents..............emphasizing the alien side of Superman is a mistake, and hence the suit's departure from classic Superman is also a mistake.

Still, there are several instances in the comics where Kryptonian dress is made to resemble the Superman suit (colorful with capes, chest symbols, trunks, etc) and this harkens back all the way to the golden age. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea behind Superman's suit originally was to make him look like a spaceman or at least someone from the future. It does bear a resemblance to Flash Gordon after all.

Still, there are several instances in the comics where Kryptonian dress is made to resemble the Superman suit (colorful with capes, chest symbols, trunks, etc) and this harkens back all the way to the golden age. I wouldn't be surprised if the idea behind Superman's suit originally was to make him look like a spaceman or at least someone from the future. It does bear a resemblance to Flash Gordon after all.

Difference is Kryptonian designs were based on Superman's design, and that design was Earth grounded, right down to the belt, belt buckle, and belt loops.

I think that it was based more on the appearance of popular athletes and or circus performers of the day than on what the concept of a spaceman was back then.

One of the inspirations for the character was an earlier work of fiction titled The Gladiator featuring a character with powers much like Superman's. I believe he was The Gladiator in name only, but given the thought process of inspiration; pay close attention to Superman's footwear in Action Comics # 1. Clearly the resemblance to a Roman type sandal is unmistakable.

This thread was made with the hopes that all discussion about the Superman costume can be had in one place and talked about freely.

At first, I hated the suit, however, it has grown a little on me with the viewing of the SDCC footage. The colors impress me, and the cape attachment is beautiful, however i still see a couple of problems in the suit:

1.) the chain mail look. As much as I appreciate the feeling of texture, I do think this goes a little overboard in giving the suit a realistic feel. Some texture is fine and all, but this chain mail look makes me think that this is a suit of armor... Yes, I know this is supposed to be part of the alien feel, but the suit is not a piece of armor. There is no need to make the suit look like armor, because it can possibly imply that the Man of Steel is not impervious... And personally, I don't like that.

He's not impervious to Zod, a Kryptonian soldier will tear him a new a**hole.

So I think a little armor can't hurt.

Last edited:
Why would Zod still need armor?

LOL...you know you are not alone in that.

I never hated it, but I always thought the briefs looked...weird and the \S/ was too small. Though in hindsight that may be been because BR was leaner.

Anyway, I don't think this suit is bad. My only real concern is if there is ever a cartoon developed with this suit in mind then Supes will not be as distinguishable.

A cartoon based on the Man of Steel movie?

That damn Returns suit took everything about the costume that makes Superman look imposing and powerful and does the opposite. Put bluntly he looked like a panzy. But I digress, this is a Man of Steel forum after all...

It doesn't make sense for Supes suit to be armor...BUT I buy the notion that his suit should look impervious. There should be a reason why the suit doesn't get all tore up in battle. I absolutely loathed the kryptonian garb idea until I saw the comic con footage. Proved to me anyway that as long as the fantasy elements are treated in the correct way it could be awesome and believable. It's like Donner's verisimilitude idea on steroids.

I have manipulated the original fantastic design of this Superman animated version by someone on the board and came up with this. Kudos to the original artist though I don't know their name.

I hope you like it.
cartoonsupes2.jpg
[/URL]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Because Superman is more powerful than him thanks to a much longer exposure to the yellow sun?

Kinda' defeats the purpose of having nit be Zod if he isn't at least as powerful, no?

I have manipulated the original fantastic design of this Superman animated version by someone on the board and came up with this. Kudos to the original artist though I don't know their name.

I hope you like it.
[/URL]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Face looks strange

I agree, I am having trouble with that, I keep altering it but can't seem to get it much better without drastically changing it.

Kinda' defeats the purpose of having nit be Zod if he isn't at least as powerful, no?

No, it does not. Zod can still be powerful enough to hang in there with Supes, just not defeat him. Zod and co. could grow more powerful throughout the movie, or simply not be used to the powers right away. If Zod is as powerful as Superman, Superman has no chance. Zod would kill him in hand to hand combat. Add into the mix Faora and no doubt other Kryptonians + their weaponry and Superman is toast. And this being a Goyer/Nolan story, I suspect a bit of realism will come to play and such situations won't be that cartoonish. :cwink:

Y'know...he might make a good....

2j0gswz.jpg

A cartoon based on the Man of Steel movie?

It's definitely a possiblity. I've been catching up with Young Justice on CN and it's not half bad. Plus, if MOS does well then I can't see WB/DC not milking the cow for all they can, especially since SV has finished.

It doesn't make sense for Supes suit to be armor...BUT I buy the notion that his suit should look impervious. There should be a reason why the suit doesn't get all tore up in battle. I absolutely loathed the kryptonian garb idea until I saw the comic con footage. Proved to me anyway that as long as the fantasy elements are treated in the correct way it could be awesome and believable. It's like Donner's verisimilitude idea on steroids.

I have never really thought of this. In most of the origins I have read in the comics, it's clear the material is Kryptonian, but it still gets jacked up ALL the time. I haven't been keeping up with the last reboot, so I'm not sure if they provided an explanation there. Though that is a good point.

Based on the photo, it's hard to tell if the material is meant to be armor or just part of the design.

No, it does not. Zod can still be powerful enough to hang in there with Supes, just not defeat him. Zod and co. could grow more powerful throughout the movie, or simply not be used to the powers right away. If Zod is as powerful as Superman, Superman has no chance. Zod would kill him in hand to hand combat.
And I would think that should be a good thing to set up and challenge Supes instead of his just being easily more powerful.

Add into the mix Faora and no doubt other Kryptonians + their weaponry and Superman is toast. And this being a Goyer/Nolan story, I suspect a bit of realism will come to play and such situations won't be that cartoonish. :cwink:

To me, frankly, it doesn't take anything away from either to have something of an armor motif going on in their outfits. I think it emphasizes action and heroics more than taking away from power.

No, it does not. Zod can still be powerful enough to hang in there with Supes, just not defeat him. Zod and co. could grow more powerful throughout the movie, or simply not be used to the powers right away. If Zod is as powerful as Superman, Superman has no chance. Zod would kill him in hand to hand combat. Add into the mix Faora and no doubt other Kryptonians + their weaponry and Superman is toast. And this being a Goyer/Nolan story, I suspect a bit of realism will come to play and such situations won't be that cartoonish. :cwink:

agreed. the new kryptonians who have not been on earth for as long as superman should not be as powerful as supes himself. however, with their powers COMBINED, they could and might be and probably are. supes will have to use his wits to beat them, and his only advantage is his ability to take out one at a time. if the villians are equally strong to supes, then, like Godfrey said, he stands no chance.

is his right thigh that small in the original?

Everything has been manipulated using Distortion > Warp in Paint Shop Pro, his thigh was bigger, I tried to make him more normal proportions like HC & CR.

Original below

man_of_steel_superman_by_alejit0-d54wm8v.jpg

It's definitely a possiblity. I've been catching up with Young Justice on CN and it's not half bad. Plus, if MOS does well then I can't see WB/DC not milking the cow for all they can, especially since SV has finished.

I don't doubt they'd make a cartoon if the movie does well. If the suit in the movie is distinguishable as Superman then I don't see why it wouldn't in a cartoon. I think what's confusing, as far as kids are concerned especially, is the current lack of consistency in the Superman brand. Back in the 80's after Superman came out, Superman looked exactly the same in all media. A kid could see a Superman movie, then pick up a comic or buy a toy and it all looked the same no explanation necessary. There's much less consistency now because of the changes made to the suit in both the comic and film. There are really like, three versions of the suit now in popular media. In my mind, it takes away from the brand power, muddles the Superman "look" and I could see how it would create some confusion for new young fans.

I have never really thought of this. In most of the origins I have read in the comics, it's clear the material is Kryptonian, but it still gets jacked up ALL the time. I haven't been keeping up with the last reboot, so I'm not sure if they provided an explanation there. Though that is a good point.

Based on the photo, it's hard to tell if the material is meant to be armor or just part of the design.

Yeah Superman's suit shouldn't get ripped to **** all the time. Better to keep impervious as a dramatic device for tipping off to the audience what constitutes a hugely serious threat when it does get torn. Again, having supes wear armor doesn't jive... my money's on simply impervious kryptonian material.

Last edited:
I thought Supes had an impervious aura that extended a few millimeters from his skin that protected himself and his skintight costume. Anyway, I hope there is a decent explanation for the making of the suit. I never bought the idea that Ma Kent had the time and know-how to make a suit that was made out of a gazillion tiny Ss in Superman Returns.

I thought Supes had an impervious aura that extended a few millimeters from his skin that protected himself and his skintight costume. Anyway, I hope there is a decent explanation for the making of the suit. I never bought the idea that Ma Kent had the time and know-how to make a suit that was made out of a gazillion tiny Ss in Superman Returns.

the aura is simply one creative team's interpretation/explanation of Superman's powers (i think john byrne introduced it?). personally, i've always liked it much more than the "kryptonian clothing is also impervious!" argument.

the aura is simply one creative team's interpretation/explanation of Superman's powers (i think john byrne introduced it?). personally, i've always liked it much more than the "kryptonian clothing is also impervious!" argument.

Not to be contrary, but a Kryptonian aura is more realistic then advanced indestructable material?...

The spectrum of of the suit origin is as follows:

1.) Ma Kent sewed the whole costume herself and it's Superman's aura protects the material from damage
2.) Ma Kent with Clark's help, sews the costume out of the indestructable blankets he was wrapped in
3.) It's an impervious Kryptonian uniform given to him by Jor-El

Personally, I've always disliked 1. and hated 3. But oddly enough I like where they're going with 3. in the new movie. Go fig.

Not to be contrary, but a Kryptonian aura is more realistic then advanced indestructable material?...

The spectrum of of the suit origin is as follows:

1.) Ma Kent sewed the whole costume herself and it's Superman's aura protects the material from damage
2.) Ma Kent with Clark's help, sews the costume out of the indestructable blankets he was wrapped in
3.) It's an impervious Kryptonian uniform given to him by Jor-El

Personally, I've always disliked 1. and hated 3. But oddly enough I like where they're going with 3. in the new movie. Go fig.

I like #1 the most. Considering the type of stuff Superman does, I can't see the costume lasting too long no matter the material it is made of. That said, I'm cool with number three since the MOS suit looks too "Hollywood" for Ma Kent to whip up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"