It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like #1 the most. Considering the type of stuff Superman does, I can't see the costume lasting too long no matter the material it is made of. That said, I'm cool with number three since the MOS suit looks too "Hollywood" for Ma Kent to whip up.

I do have a soft spot for 1. because I grew up with Byrne's Superman. But meh, different strokes.

Looking at that manip I like the suit even more (particularly the gauntlets). I've never particularly been pro- or anti- trunks but I can certainly appreciate this interpretation of the suit. I love the shield though. I typically don't care for such a pronounced serif on the "S" but I love the way it's incorporated here.

I do have a soft spot for 1. because I grew up with Byrne's Superman. But meh, different strokes.

I agree on #1. As hokey as it may sound I think it's more indicative of Superman's abilities than just that he wears an indestructible suit. If that was the case then anyone could potentially wear it and be a superhero to a point. It's the same reasoning as why would he wear armor if he's already impervious to injury? Be it blankets or armor, they would provide the same function regardless of materials.

Given that, if it truly is #3 they go with, I'll be fine with it I just like to think of the suit more as an extension of himself and not just a bulletproof shield.

What bothers me most about the shirt rip is that he has to put it back on and get back to whatever it was he was doing. So either Superman is going to try and rush to find his buttons and put his clothes back together, or he's going to have to buy alot of clothes. I honesty don't care about all of Superman's iconic moments being in this film. I would rather for new iconic moments to be made so that Superman's story may become bigger and more unique. I want to be able to watch the movie and say " wow, I've never seen that before" rather than "I've seen that so many times already". There's tons of unique ways Superman can put his suit on. It would be amazing to see a long suit up scene...Another thing that would be nice is the explanation for the colors Superman chose his suit to be.

I'm looking forward to a good shirt rip, but if it doesn't happen it won't bother me too much.

The shirt rip in STM is one of the most epic moments in cinematic history, I love it.

The shirt rip in SR was so anti-climatic I wanted to cry.

I liked how, in the animated series, he caught a missile while in his Clark Kent disguise and when it exploded his civilian clothes burned off to reveal the costume. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in the movie.

I'm looking forward to a good shirt rip, but if it doesn't happen it won't bother me too much.

The shirt rip in STM is one of the most epic moments in cinematic history, I love it.

The shirt rip in SR was so anti-climatic I wanted to cry.

I have no words to express how much I agree with you about the STM shirtrip. You can even just watch that scene as it's own microscopic Superman movie and all the elements are just gold...the musical buildup, the framing of the shot, the little car horn that goes off right before and then boom, zoom right in on the S. Doesn't matter if you're a Superman fan, that movie is just so f-ing good.

I also agree with the SR's one. God that movie pisses me off lol. Opportunity squandered.

I'd be fine with leaving the shirt rip in the old movies and tv shows. I don't need nostalgia in this film for it to be good.

I'd like the shirt rip but if we don't get it I won't be gutted or anything. I reckon they'll save it for the end of the film to be honest.

The shirt rip may be iconic but I won't be spitting tacks if they leave it out in Man of Steel. It's just like the Williams Theme. Really wish people would move on!!! :nono:

I'm only 18 years old atm and I grew up loving superman, mainly the cartoons and it wasnt till a few years ago I watched the original Superman movie to fully appreciate it. I must say though being so young I dont appreciate the movie as much as some other fans would, so this reboot with a great director and amazing producer it really can't go wrong and im so excited to see a realistic and darker superman story. I remember when I saw the first photo of Caviil's costume and I was blown away. The first obvious thing I noticed was the absence of his trunks but I love the new suit so much. Muted colours, alien trims and textures and a long ass bright cape. With Snyder's other movies in mind, especially 300 I can see alot of the movie being quite muted and having Supermans cape stand out visually, like the Spartans capes. I havnt read any superman comics and havnt seen all the original movies but in my opinion this is by far the best costume ive seen!

The costume has grown on me over these past few months. But a small part of me still misses the iconic costume.

However, having recently been able to see a decent copy of the CC footage, I think that Cavill in this suit will be outstanding. I believe that this film will be one of the defining Superman motion pictures for this and other generations. Mine included, I hope.

It's just like the Williams Theme. Really wish people would move on!!! :nono:

The problem is, the John Williams theme was and is perfect, I don't envy Hans Zimmer at all.

Hell no to the shirt rip not being part of this movie! Shirt rip is as iconic as his flying, imo.

Batman Begins had a "suit up" moment, like the old films. I'd like Man of Steel to have a shirt rip scene.

I thought Supes had an impervious aura that extended a few millimeters from his skin that protected himself and his skintight costume. Anyway, I hope there is a decent explanation for the making of the suit. I never bought the idea that Ma Kent had the time and know-how to make a suit that was made out of a gazillion tiny Ss in Superman Returns.

It's pretty much confirmed that the suit is Kryptonian. Zod and Jor-El wear nearly identical bodysuits except for the colors (and presumably the symbol on Zod's chest).

I'ts interesting that posters refer to the decision to drop the trunks as an effort to update or modernize the suit, when in fact the intent of excluding the trunks is to put emphasis on the alien nature of the suit as it is a Kryptonian garment. Humans wear trunks, Kryptonians do not.

My two cents..............emphasizing the alien side of Superman is a mistake, and hence the suit's departure from classic Superman is also a mistake.

I agree completely. As someone who grew up with Superman: The Movie, ditching the trunks is not something I'm a big fan of. I've started to come around a little more to the suit since I first saw it, but I'm still not loving it. Hopefully seeing it on the big screen in live action will change my mind, but I'm skeptical...

Has there been any explanation as to why all the spy pics we have seen have a red/yello \S/, while the teaser poster showed a red and black one?

http://screenrant.com/superman-man-of-steel-comic-con-2012-rob-185707/superman-man-of-steel-3/

it's simply the lighting. supes is in the dark/shadows, so the yellow is faint. don't worry, it's gonna be yellow in the actual film.

do i know this 100%? no. but i'm making a deduction based on evidence i've seen so far.

I agree completely. As someone who grew up with Superman: The Movie, ditching the trunks is not something I'm a big fan of. I've started to come around a little more to the suit since I first saw it, but I'm still not loving it. Hopefully seeing it on the big screen in live action will change my mind, but I'm skeptical...

to me, a new film = new interpretation, and a new interpretation = new character designs.

i'm keeping an open mind until the film comes out for me to accurately judge.

and, honestly, as "iconic" as the suit was in S:TM, i don't think it would ever stand up in a modern day film because, honestly, it just looks so cheap and flimsy. the closest example i can cite is the fake batman/superman world's finest fan-made trailer. i thought supes' costume looked just...horrid (don't get me started on batman's, either).

i always remind myself that just because something works in the comics doesn't mean it will work in live action. adjustments and changes have to be made for it to look GOOD.

to me, a new film = new interpretation, and a new interpretation = new character designs.

i'm keeping an open mind until the film comes out for me to accurately judge.

and, honestly, as "iconic" as the suit was in S:TM, i don't think it would ever stand up in a modern day film because, honestly, it just looks so cheap and flimsy. the closest example i can cite is the fake batman/superman world's finest fan-made trailer. i thought supes' costume looked just...horrid (don't get me started on batman's, either).

i always remind myself that just because something works in the comics doesn't mean it will work in live action. adjustments and changes have to be made for it to look GOOD.

And so it didn't work back in 1978? People really seemed to like the move in spite of how silly the suit supposedly is.

It can't possibly be the lighting. Look again; the inside of his right pec is in the light. It's brightly lit from the bottom of the thick part of the S, up to the top of the shield. As a matter of fact, if you look, the black area is so well lit, it's reflecting light back.
It's NOT yellow looking black. It's black.

It can't possibly be the lighting. Look again; the inside of his right pec is in the light. It's brightly lit from the bottom of the thick part of the S, up to the top of the shield. As a matter of fact, if you look, the black area is so well lit, it's reflecting light back.
It's NOT yellow looking black. It's black.

Perhaps. But it's yellow in the teaser, it's yellow in the spy pics, it's yellow on the suit that was at Comic Con, and it's yellow in the Comic Con footage. It'll be yellow in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"