Justice League Dark - Part 1

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Q5Q13

justin-fields-sw-web.jpg

justin-fields-woudrueweb.jpg

justin-fields-zatanna-web.jpg

justin-fields-constatine-duweb.jpg

justin-fields-deadman-jld-jgf-concept001.jpg

justin-fields-jasonblood-web.jpg

Not a fan of that Zatanna look - looks more like Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Otherwise pretty nice.

Makes sense if you treat it like fiction, which it is... And why couldn't he actually be black, being white isn't really a defining trait of Jason blood is it?

I wonder who the enemy will be though? Please not CGI as the main villain or a giant portal of doom in the sky
This is something that I’m actually really worried about with this movie.

It could very easily go that way

Best way to go is have both physical villain and a cgi creature villain. That way you get both spectacle and something a little more tangible.

Makes sense if you treat it like fiction, which it is... And why couldn't he actually be black, being white isn't really a defining trait of Jason blood is it?

Because he's been depicted as White since his creation and his story/origin revolves around European folklore. Seriously, it just screams pandering!

You want to include a Black character (or any other race for that matter), there's Dr Mist and Black Orchid! One is a powerful African King and the other a. trained ex-US army private now working for A.R.G.U.S. That's real representation!

There are black people in Europe dude. Again it's fantasy and fiction, there could be black people in mideval Europe. Again him being white doesn't define who he is and being black or any other race doesn't change who the character is either. I'd take Chiwetel over tons of white guys out there because hes a great actor and would make me believe he's Jason blood.

Last edited:
There are black people in Europe dude. Again it's fantasy and fiction, there could be black people in mideval Europe. Again him being white doesn't define who he is and being black or any other race doesn't change who the character is either. I'd take Chiwetel over tons of white guys out there because hes a great actor and would make me believe he's Jason blood.

Only in modern times. Like I said before, making Jason Blood Black just screams pandering for the sake of pandering. Hollywood is too lazy to use actual minority characters and would rather change an established White character's race. What a travesty! Comic accuracy > political pandering :o

Zatanna looks like she should have 'magical' tattooed on her forehead.

Constantine looks like he’s s wearing a dirty doctor who costume

Yes, now. Are you really comparing modern day demographics to those of Medieval Europe?!? Although I can see why he'd make you believe he's Jason Blood, given how historically ignorant you are, that you think it's perfectly reasonable for a black actor to play the role of a character who hails from Medieval England and don't think that's incongruous at all.

Honestly the Zatanna design isn't bad on it's face. It's just REALLY not a good design for Zatanna. That's more something that I could picture say, Black Canary or Raven wearing as a "casual outfit."

As far as her actual hero costume goes, I'd like to see a variation of this one myself:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...extless.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140930214937

Also:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-.../Batman+-+Streets+of+Gotham+#16+-+zatanna.jpg

If we could get one scene at least of her wearing something like this=YES PLEASE!!

Yes, now. Are you really comparing modern day demographics to those of Medieval Europe?!? Although I can see why he'd make you believe he's Jason Blood, given how historically ignorant you are, that you think it's perfectly reasonable for a black actor to play the role of a character who hails from Medieval England and don't think that's incongruous at all.

See now I don't appreciate being called "historically ignorant" I full well understand mideval Europe was mostly white, but there were dark skinned people throughout Europes history dating back before mideval times. There are even coat of arms with black men directed in the insignia. But a black guy in Europe before a couple hundred years ago is so unbelievable I guess.
But in a movie where where there are wizards, demons, magic, ghost, monsters, and alternate dimensions an immortal black guy who lived as knight in mideval Europe is a problem...

This.

Last edited:
What is this, David Ayer's Zatanna? :o Terrible. The others look great though.

http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/archive

Yikes! Tumblr...:whatever:

Making an established White character Non-White isn't diversity, it's pandering. Actual representation and diversity would be using characters like Dr Mist and Black Orchid and introducing them to the masses (ala Cyborg, El Diablo, Katana)! Jason Blood (and Zatanna since WB wants a Latina) will still be White everywhere else, just like Deadshot and Aquaman still are, so changing their race is pointless.:o

Yes, Tumblr... and the owner of that blog have many, many pictures to back up what they're saying, they're not just making stuff up.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that they should make Etrigan black... I don't care. I'm just showing you that you're factually wrong. :oldrazz:

Zatanna looks like she should have 'magical' tattooed on her forehead.
Lol, exactly.

I just don't know why they don't just go with one of her costumes from the comics.

15xvmeg.jpg

Like this one. What's wrong with it?

Last edited:
See now I don't appreciate being called "historically ignorant" I full well understand mideval Europe was mostly white,

And yet...

...but there were dark skinned people throughout Europes history dating back before mideval times.

"Dark skinned" does not automatically equate to African.

There are even coat of arms with black men directed in the insignia. But a black guy in Europe before a couple hundred years ago is so unbelievable I guess.

Yes, it is. Point out the evidence that they were in England circa 500 AD.

But in a movie where where there are wizards, demons, magic, ghost, monsters, and alternate dimensions an immortal black guy who lived as knight in mideval Europe is a problem...

Yeah, because Africans aren't a fictional creation, but a real group of people who exist in the real world, and in that era they existed in a certain part of the world which was far, far away from the setting which we're talking about, and which had practically zero interaction with the part of the world which Africans originate from. The idea of an African knight fully integrating within 5th century British society, becoming a member of the landed nobility, and hanging out in King Arthur's Court around 500 AD is, frankly, ludicrous.

Apply that to yourself.

And yet...

"Dark skinned" does not automatically equate to African.

Yes, it is. Point out the evidence that they were in England circa 500 AD.

Yeah, because Africans aren't a fictional creation, but a real group of people who exist in the real world, and in that era they existed in a certain part of the world which was far, far away from the setting which we're talking about, and which had practically zero interaction with the part of the world which Africans originate from. The idea of an African knight fully integrating within 5th century British society, becoming a member of the landed nobility, and hanging out in King Arthur's Court around 500 AD is, frankly, ludicrous.

Apply that to yourself.
:whatever:
Africans surely aren't fictional people, but you know who is? Jason blood. And every other character involved with this story.
have an imagination. Fact of the matter is there were black men and women in European history for hundreds upon hundreds of years. Justice league dark isn't a history report, its a comic book movie. Live a little dude why is it so upsetting to suggest he can be black?

Last edited:
Also King Arthur and Camelot was meant to represent an idealized/romanticized version of England. So him having a POC around is not all that hard to buy.

I can vaguely recall a Zatanna costume similar to that in some era of the comics, but I can't remember where.

I thought there was legit update for the bump in thread but it's not that.:doh:

Anyway only movie I care about in the DCEU now. That's if we don't get MOS2. Then I'll have two movies I give a damn about in this universe. :funny:

:whatever:
Africans surely aren't fictional people, but you know who is? Jason blood. And every other character involved with this story.
have an imagination.

Or, how about casting Jason Blood true to the original character, rather than mashing history for no good reason? Geeze, it's far easier to justify a black Johnny Storm than an African Jason Blood, and look how that went over.

Jason Blood and the rest of the characters within it are fictional, yes, but they're going to be placed within a historical context. And just like we wouldn't expect to see a Revolutionary War movie where one of the heroes is Japanese, an African Jason Blood is downright ridiculous, and totally obliterates suspension of disbelief for the sake of pointless political correctness.

Fact of the matter is there were black men and women in European history for hundreds upon hundreds of years.

There's that historical ignorance rearing its ugly head once again. You think that "Well, they were there before I was born, therefore it's the same as having always been there". For example, a link posted above? We're looking at Africans in Europe in the 1400's/1500's, after steady contact with Africa was established, when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was getting started. So yeah, it's unsurprising that there were Africans about in that era. But the 1400-1500's, shockingly enough, are not circa 500 AD, the era of King Arthur. The numbers may look similar on the surface, but we're actually talking about two time periods separate by a thousand years of history. And I don't know if you know this, but one thousand years is a BIG number! For instance, your grandfather? He was not alive one thousand years ago. Not even your great grandfather. Shocking, I know. And just because it was "in the past" and "true for centuries", doesn't mean it occurred at that point in the past, or that it was true for every single century. Particularly when we're talking about the Arthurian Era, which preceded every historical instance you'd point to be a thousand years. And yes, a thousand years is a pretty big deal.

Justice league dark isn't a history report, its a comic book movie. Live a little dude why is it so upsetting to suggest he can be black?

"Live a little." Because needlessly screwing with established properties is what you call "living a little"? :whatever: How about this? Why is it so necessary to needlessly screw with an established character? Particularly when the changes are so completely absurd? And if we can't take issue with that casting, then you're saying we can't take issue with any casting?

Nicolas Cage as Superman.

"Live a little dude why is it so upsetting to suggest he can be Nick Cage?"

Peter Dinkage as Batman.

"Live a little dude why is it so upsetting to suggest he can be a dwarf?"

CCH Pounder as Wolverine.

"Live a little dude why is it so upsetting to suggest he can be an elderly black woman?"

Your suggestion is just as idiotic as the above suggestions, and your defense is just as idiotic as a similar defense of the above would be. Actually worse, since the bad casting wouldn't be stacked on top of totally ignoring real world history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"