Justice League Status Updates Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually prefer they have Guy Gardner than John, but that will never happen. It would be great if he was in there being his normal self and you got a scene that basically mentions Hal, but someone is like "how did we end up with this guy?"

Also, throw a version of the "one punch" scene in the trailer, and you have millions of people saying "Batman gets to kick ass, I'm in!"

I dont buy that.An overwhelming number of Reynold fans admit that he wasnt GREAT as Hal-at best "okay".Why would they want settle for an "okay"actor as Hal instead of a phenemonal Actor.It doesnt make sense.The only reason I can think is to maintain the sense of pseudo continuity-to maintain the sense that the GL movie is some how part of the DCCU,thus making the DCCU seem more built than it actually is.

You don't buy it? If people wanted him to be Hal for continuity's sake they would say they want him to be Hal for continuity's sake. I'm right here saying I want Reynolds back because I think he's perfect for Hal Jordan. I don't give half a flying freeze-dried damn about whether there's a shared universe or not. I want the actor I like to play the character I like. And again, it wouldn't be a sense that the movie is part of the universe. The movie would be part of the universe.

Tony Stark is a boring turd in the comics but so entertaining in the IM movies. They could easily change up Stewarts character for the movies. You're not obliged to use all the lesser characteristics of comicbook characters in movies, just make the movie versions interesting and likeable if they're not in the comics. You can still maintain the core essence of the character.

Firstly, the film Iron Man was an amalgamation of Ultimate (who is a *****e) and regular.

Robert Downey Jr was just being himself in Iron Man, most of his lines were improvised. I can't think of any actor who possesses the same overbearing charisma as Downey.

Comicbook Tony and movie Tony are bothe driven by the same goals that define them only one is fun the other is boring, still essentially the same character. Same can be done with Stewart.

Well then why not just use Hal again? It's not like a huge number of people went to see the film.

Heath Ledger wasn't the Joker from the comics but he was still very enjoyable. What I'm saying is you could easily use john Stewart and not have him be boring.

Yes he was:

Batman Vol 1 #1-4 (IIRC)
Batman: The Killing Joke
And the story that escapes my mind atm where Joker blows up three hospitals (I think it was during NML)

I'd be shocked if John Stewart wasn't in it too, or no hal

I would be pleasantly surprised if DC manages to release this movie 1-2 years after Man of Steel even if the movie sucks.

Here is what I don't get. Why the rush to make Justice League? Yeah I know I know. Avengers and everyone in Hollywood wants to come in second. But why does it need a director or a script right now? Superman hasn't even come out yet.

Here is what I don't get. Why the rush to make Justice League? Yeah I know I know. Avengers and everyone in Hollywood wants to come in second. But why does it need a director or a script right now? Superman hasn't even come out yet.

Because money. And that's it.

Honestly I'm still hopeful that we can get a good film out of this, but I'm not very happy with WB's strategy.

Justice League will be a hit, I'm sure. But it will be nothing monumental. It doesn't have about five films building its hype.

Warner Bros. should just forget using Avengers as a template and do something very, very different. Lightning seldom strikes in the same place twice.

People seriously have to stop saying the reason for Avengers success was '5 films of hype'. Sorry folks, $1.4 billion equals a hell of a lot more people than just comic nerds and movie buffs who where the only ones really paying attention to the build up. The reason it was as huge as it was because it was a fun entertaining movie that appealed to the masses, it really had little to do with the previous films. WB will be hoping the same for JL, whether it gets there is anyone's guess, and I'm betting given their track record it won't coz I firmly believe they will be making this movie for the wrong reasons. But hey, it's not my money.

Marvel was working on The Avengers before Iron Man, so I don't see a problem. It doesn't need a director right now, because 2015 is three years away, but it's good that WB is actively searching for one.

People seriously have to stop saying the reason for Avengers success was '5 films of hype'. Sorry folks, $1.4 billion equals a hell of a lot more people than just comic nerds and movie buffs who where the only ones really paying attention to the build up. The reason it was as huge as it was because it was a fun entertaining movie that appealed to the masses, it really had little to do with the previous films. WB will be hoping the same for JL, whether it gets there is anyone's guess, and I'm betting given their track record it won't coz I firmly believe they will be making this movie for the wrong reasons. But hey, it's not my money.

I'm sorry, but the idea that the five prior movies did nothing to contribute? Nonsense. Especially with two of them being blockbusters in their own right. The average viewer wasn't watching with baited breath at the buildup, but they *were* introduced to characters they had likely never heard of before.

So, we go from complaints that they'll never get a movie out to complaints that they're working on it now. That wreaks of complaining for the sake of complaining. And it's not rushed. They hired a screenwriter almost 4 years in advance and are looking for a director almost 3 years in advance. That's the opposite of rushing.

Not to mention, they need to continue the DC brand in live action film, what other DC movie should they make? I'm sorry, but the JLA is far more well known and popular than the solo adventures of Flash or Wonder Woman, so it's only logical that you would make a JL movie first.

agree that they don't need to do what marvel did with the whole intro origin solo movies. marvel had to do that because outside of maybe the hulk, no one really gave a **** about their roster for film (discounting properties they don't own like the x-men and spidey), and even then, not that many cared about the hulk.

i think what ever happens next for mavel's second phase will be quite telling about the prospects of solo films after a superteam team up.

I'm sorry, but the idea that the five prior movies did nothing to contribute? Nonsense. Especially with two of them being blockbusters in their own right. The average viewer wasn't watching with baited breath at the buildup, but they *were* introduced to characters they had likely never heard of before.

I said 'little' not 'nothing'.

I've come around to feeling they don't need various movies to build up to it. At first I thought it was a bad idea, but now I'm neutral. I think a Justice League movie will be successful on its own.

Origin stories aren't that important, even, or maybe especially, to the average movie goer. Like, take Wolverine. Remember how X-Men the movie delved into his origins? And the origins of all the other X-Men? No? That's because it didn't. Was that movie still a big financial success? Yes. Did 12 year old kids like Wolverine? Yes. Will 12 year old kids watch Martian Manhunter or Cyborg kill aliens in a big CGI spectacle scene without caring about their origins? Yes.

I don't think there is really a need for origin movies for Justice League. The heroes are either supremely famous or people don't care about the origins (or both, like the Flash, whose origin is not important at all). They just care about the spectacle of watching superheroes beat up aliens or whatever. At best the plot should be built around the origin of one of the characters as our point of entrance into the world. Cyborg would serve this point of entrance, or the Flash. Or if the movie has MM in it it can be built around the martian invasion from the cartoon or something. Heck MM serves as introduction to Earth, which could serve as comic relief if done correctly.

They can then do individual movies.

Last edited:
Not to mention, they need to continue the DC brand in live action film, what other DC movie should they make? I'm sorry, but the JLA is far more well known and popular than the solo adventures of Flash or Wonder Woman, so it's only logical that you would make a JL movie first.

I agree. And I'm certainly not wanting to see endless origin movies either (unless they haven't been told properly yet, like The Flash). But it really does take a skilled screenwriter and director to pull off team movies well - team movies which actually allow each team member to have a good sense of character.

This is what I fear. That we'll get the X-Men 3 version of Justice League because WB is rushing to cash in on that Avengers dollar.

If they get the right crew and script, I'm all for it. But at the moment it feels like their strategy is quite reactionary. As a studio WB never excels when they act this way. They have hits when they chart their own course - Dark Knight trilogy, Harry Potter, Matrix etc. Not when they 'follow' - e.g. Green Lantern.

Any chance Aquaman will be on the roster? He gets no respect.

The movie does not need an origin. As, long as Batman and Superman are the front runners you'll be ok money wise. I agree it should be done the way the first x-men was done. I would hope the JL movie would be a little more serious in it's tone than the Avengers.

Also, I think Dc needs to strike while the iron is hot becaused comic book movies won't be popular forever.

Any chance Aquaman will be on the roster? He gets no respect.
I'd say there's a 50/50 chance. We're all assuming he's going to be a part of the team but i've heard no mention of him. No matter what my preferences are, he is an integral member but i really dont think they're adding Aquaman just yet.

one of the reasons why I'd like a wondy Vs Aquaman (with a supes cameo) before a jl movie is to get rid of that 'no respect' stigma.

you know what be pretty cool, is if
(for anyone who's seen the comicon footage) when supes is brought in by the army, he finds j'onn their as well. that'd be a cool way to start off the JL.

I agree. And I'm certainly not wanting to see endless origin movies either (unless they haven't been told properly yet, like The Flash). But it really does take a skilled screenwriter and director to pull off team movies well - team movies which actually allow each team member to have a good sense of character.

This is what I fear. That we'll get the X-Men 3 version of Justice League because WB is rushing to cash in on that Avengers dollar.

If they get the right crew and script, I'm all for it. But at the moment it feels like their strategy is quite reactionary. As a studio WB never excels when they act this way. They have hits when they chart their own course - Dark Knight trilogy, Harry Potter, Matrix etc. Not when they 'follow' - e.g. Green Lantern.
But they commissioned the script even before Avengers was released, how is that reactionary?

Aquaman scenes could be too badass to skip. They also may be expensive, plus you'd have to include water stuff, I hope they include him though. They'd have to get fancy for his under water scenes.

I was envisioning the league not taking him serious when he says he's the King of Atlantis. Then when the fight is up and the team goes their separate ways for now, watchtower beams Aquaman over a body of water, he swims down and disappears into something invisible. We follow him swim into palace like balcony, and a silouette of Mera comes out, maybe you can see she's pregnant, and they hug, and they turn around and you view aquaman's face as the camera pans out and you see him watching over atlantis. PIMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"