Live-Action The Little Mermaid

EXCLUSIVE: Disney’s Live-Action ‘The Little Mermaid’ To Begin Production Spring 2020, Additional Details Revealed

We have learned that production on the film is slated to begin next April, with the studio looking to wrap sometime in August. However, voice work on the film could begin as early as January 2020.

As of now, the studio is currently looking at locations to film the project including the Cayman Islands, South Africa, as well as Maro, La Cala, Torre del Mar, Almayate, Chilches, Benajarafe, and Torrox.

Another interesting tidbit on the project we were able to dig up is that Scuttle will not be a seagull as he appeared in the animated classic, instead Scuttle will be a diving bird so he can be in the underwater scenes.

Lin Manuel specifically used a black mermaid emoji............:thf:

What could it possibly mean....................:hmm

I guess we should seriously consider the possibility of Zendaya playing Ariel :shock

Awww let me guess there will be outrage if Ariel isn't white huh

Rob Marshall being the director is a much bigger issue than Ariel not being white.

I think Zendaya would be a good fit for Ariel as far as the singing goes since she can do it really well. I loved her song in Smallfoot.

Still interested to see how they handle the underwater 'swimming' scenes. Not only are they going to have to CGI fish tails on all the actors but they're going to have to look like they're swimming around underwater.

Maybe Ariel won't be able to swim and this film and her character arc will be about her learning to do that. Only by the end of the film will she finally get over her fear of the water and master the breast stroke and start becoming the Ariel everyone knows and loves. And even then it will probably be the granny version of the breast stroke with your head permanently above the water and not the proper version where you take breaths, so there won't be any underwater scenes.

We might have to wait for the sequel to see her being able to swim with any proficiency, and even a third film before she can attempt something like the underwater dolphin.

Here's my fan-cast:
Ariel: Zendaya
Triton: Either Keith David, Patrick Stewart (who almost voiced Triton in the original movie) or Ron Perlman
Sebastian: Djimon Hounsou
Ursula: Rebel Wilson or Melissa Mccarthy (lackluckster, i know but, I'm open to better suggestions; Wilson performed "Poor Unfortunate Souls" a while back at the Hollywood Bowl, hence my choice)
Prince Eric: Chris Evans

Still interested to see how they handle the underwater 'swimming' scenes. Not only are they going to have to CGI fish tails on all the actors but they're going to have to look like they're swimming around underwater.

Aquaman already tackled that and now Disney has it easier cause they can copy that template for underwater scenes. They might call James Cameron to give some advice since he’s part of the family.

Anyone other than Rebel Wilson for Ursula please. I need someone with some energy and mood for the role.

Awww let me guess there will be outrage if Ariel isn't white huh

I'm off the opinion with all these Disney Live Action remakes that the cast should literally look near identical to their animated counterparts, in particular, the main characters.

Does Ariel actually need to be white? No, not really there's nothing involving her character that implies she must be white, but it's the same story with Michael B Jordan when his name was being floated around for playing Superman there's nothing that says Superman must be white, but the characters have a very distinct & well known look that for the most part I'd like adhered to.

Personally, I think Zendeya actually looks closer to Ursula when she was in human form than Ariel, but that's just me.

EDIT - The speaking voice is another key thing, Ariel needs to have not only a good singing voice, but her general speaking voice needs to be on point if they're to stick as close to the animated story as possible.

I hope they keep Ursula plus sized. I’ll be so annoyed if they try to make her skinny like in the stage production. Ursula should have menace and gravitas, you can get waifish evil sorceresses anywhere

I expect Ursula to look completely different from the cartoon. She'll probably just be a super creepy looking mermaid.

I expect Ursula to look completely different from the cartoon. She'll probably just be a super creepy looking mermaid.
So, not as plump-looking, then? That may make my casting suggestions better for her, then. I was thinking too literally.

I hope they keep Ursula plus sized. I’ll be so annoyed if they try to make her skinny like in the stage production. Ursula should have menace and gravitas, you can get waifish evil sorceresses anywhere
While I agree with wanting a plus-sized Ursula, I don't agree with her needing the weight to have menace and gravitas. That should come from the character, not her size.

With that said, I don't think we'll get plus-sized Ursula. I hope we do, though.

Random prediction: the actress chosen for Ursula will play her human form but not her octopus form, which will be CGI.

Random prediction: the actress chosen for Ursula will play her human form but not her octopus form, which will be CGI.
In that case, why do I get the feeling Emily Blunt might be considered? I can hear her singing "Poor Unfortunate Souls".

I agree Chris Evans is too old for prince Eric but the suit he wore to the avengers premiere makes me think of ocean colours

And I would totally give up my voice for him

Woo! I can’t wait til we hear about the casting.

I wonder if they’ll develop any of the supporting cast like they did with jasmine in Aladdin or the prince in Cinderella

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"