Live-Action The Little Mermaid

As long as the person can sing, I’ll be happy.

Honestly, I’d be happy with Gaga as she’s basically a drag queen. Mocap her and make her look like an interpretation of Ursula and I think that’d be ok. I honestly don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

It's all about representation. Just like it would be problematic if they cast Gaga and then put her in a fat suit instead of finding a bigger actress. Just like POC are constantly having to fight for roles, actresses who arent a size 0 and who are considered big have to fight for roles even the ones that are made for em.
I get it, and I'd rather not see anyone play the role in a fatsuit either but at the same time it's not like Ursula is a positive representation for bigger women. Maybe they're trying to steer away from that if they're interested in Gaga.

Also, Ursula was modeled after Divine, a drag queen. So there are a lot of potential paths they could go down with casting.

Also, Ursula was modeled after Divine, a drag queen. So there are a lot of potential paths they could go down with casting.

There's like 2 lol. Have a man play her (which im totally fine with) or have a woman play her.
I get it, and I'd rather not see anyone play the role in a fatsuit either but at the same time it's not like Ursula is a positive representation for bigger women. Maybe they're trying to steer away from that if they're interested in Gaga.

She may be a villain but she is a very popular villain who a lot of people enjoy just like Maleficent.

It's such a shame that the art of, well art in movie making is lost due to progressive wannabes. The notion that an actor cannot don prosthetics to play a larger built character is ridiculous - skinny people are taking the jobs of fat people nonsense.

Gaga would bring a twisted, weird take on the character, with an amazing voice, plus, she is hot right now.

"you know, i feel sorry for real mermaids that lost out on the role of arial'.... geez - it's called acting, where people portray characters infront of an audience

tenor.gif

Yes it is so sad that we don't try to cast skinny actor to play a role of a bigger character. They are just losing out on so many roles and becoming a dying breed! I feel bad for them.

Anyway, I think Harvey Feinsten would be perfection as Ursula
mgid:ao:image:logotv.com:226900

Or Kathy Bates, even Queen Latifah, Rosie O.

I think Gaga would be great as Vanessa.

Last edited:
They gave belle an origin story, maybe Gaga could play Ariel’s mum? That would be cute

If this isn't a direct adaptation of the animated version, then the sea witch doesn't have to be fat, purple, or an octopus. Or named Ursula.

This time around she might be an entirely new character who only has to be a sea witch and who could be played by Lady Gaga.

Then why do it? It’s like saying you want to do ET except without the alien, no characters and it’s a western. So just make a western

Why did they make a version of Alice that was completely different from the animated version? They want to make money from a familiar property while doing something new.

But I don't know if they are in this case, I don't think we know yet what approach they're taking with this one, do we? But it could be a new version that's not much like the animated one except in basic ways. I could see Gaga being a sexy, evil sea witch instead of a big blowsy diva villain. Just like the Jafar in the new Aladdin isn't going to be anything like the one in the cartoon.

Things change so they aren’t the same thing just in a different form. I’d rather them try something different than just get a rehash of the original film.

Though I want Poor Unfortunate Souls to be used and for Gaga to sing it because I can only imagine how good that would sound.

I agree, they should cast someone who can sing for Ariel. I don't want another Emma Watson scenario.

I've yet to actually see Beauty & The Beast (or Jungle Book for that matter) other than a few clips here & there but I wasn't really impressed with any of the renditions of some of the classics from the original songs based on the clips I'd seen.

In casting Ariel, they need to cast someone who has an excellent singing & talking voice because of how important it is to the story.. assuming they're going to stay close to the original animated version which I presume/hope Beauty & The Beast/Jungle Book did.. ?

The Little Mermaid Director Says Reboot May Add New Songs

Not only is the 1989 animated Disney classic The Little Mermaid getting a live action remake, the film may also add new editions to the film's already iconic roster of songs.

The film's director, Rob Marshall, recently said that any additional music will be motivated by the story and characters.

“It has to be a song that’s earned, that takes you there," Marshall told ComicBook. "And so as we’re working on, in a way, fleshing out The Little Mermaid — Ariel has one song in the animated film — and so we’re looking for maybe more material.”

That's not suprising. I feel like half the news there is that they're still actively working on this.

I've yet to actually see Beauty & The Beast (or Jungle Book for that matter) other than a few clips here & there but I wasn't really impressed with any of the renditions of some of the classics from the original songs based on the clips I'd seen.

In casting Ariel, they need to cast someone who has an excellent singing & talking voice because of how important it is to the story.. assuming they're going to stay close to the original animated version which I presume/hope Beauty & The Beast/Jungle Book did.. ?
Just dub the voice. :o

When they say it has to be a song that's earned, is it only going to be a proto-song for most of the movie with a different name, until it becomes the song we all know and love in the last 15 minutes of the film? :o

Saw BatB and I thought Watson did a good job in the singing parts. I don't know if they tuned her or not, but even if they did it came off sounding good to me.
As long as the actor tries, I think its better than getting a separate person for the singing parts, like in Anastasia.

Last edited:
That's not suprising. I feel like half the news there is that they're still actively working on this.
How is that news? You can best believe Disney is adamantly working to The Little Mermaid happen. That'll become more apparent after Lion King comes out and makes a billion dollars, maybe more.

I'm waiting breathlessly for live-action Frozen.:grin:

I'm waiting breathlessly for live-action Frozen.:grin:

By the time they get round to it, that girl who looks just like Elsa will probably be too old by then.

How is that news? You can best believe Disney is adamantly working to The Little Mermaid happen. That'll become more apparent after Lion King comes out and makes a billion dollars, maybe more.

Yeah, but even lucrative projects can stall/lose directors/etc.

If they don't go with a teenager, I think Jessica Rothe would be a good Ariel. Her singing voice in La La Land was nice. I could see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"