Live-Action The Little Mermaid

Yeah I heard it. It’s incredible, like shivers inducing. I’m going to see it opening weekend

I legit got chills and almost teared up. I just have a really strong emotional reaction to really good music.

Depending on how positive the reception is to this, I might consider watching this in the theater just for her performance/singing alone. And I’m not even that big of a fan of the original, so that’s saying something.

It's a gorgeous poster. It's a mixture of the iconic 1989 teaser and the 1997 re-release posters, actually.

Still very skeptical about this movie. I really love the original and I worry that this remake is going to hit the wrong notes like the '17 BATB did. Cinderella so far is the only Disney live action remake that complemented the original (actually both that and EverAfter are better movies than the 1950 animated film).

Ha, they could probably do a bit better than that. I mean Figaro in the Pinocchio live action movie looked great so I’m sure they’ve got their best people on it

That's gotta be fake. We see Flounder for a split second in the trailer and he looks nothing like that.

I just heard the leaked version of Part of Your World, and Bailey sounded really, really great! So much emotion and heart she put into it!

It’s in the headline that that’s fan art. That’s not from the movie.

take with a grain salt....dont know how reliable they are but someone broke down the movie. If true, not sure why they would give the sisters brand new names and break from them all having A's

Honestly very blessed to have had the opportunity to have seen a private screening of The Little Mermaid 2023 and what an incredible film. I’m truly shocked Disney was able to pull this off, I won’t spoil too much but here we go babes:

-Halle as Ariel was an absolute pleasure to witness on screen, from her voice, charisma, personality…she embodies the character so well that you almost forget the animated version even existed and gives her character such a modern day twist with her acknowledgement of her faults, flaws and mistakes she made to become human which I really appreciated

-Halle and Jonah’s chemistry together has me begging for more projects between them in the future! When they are on screen together, magic is being made. From the way he looks at her…their eye contact, body language, the dancing scene, they are so charming and you can almost feel the love radiate from them (Jonah hmu)

-Wasn’t expecting so many different outfit changes for Halle but nonetheless very pleased, each were very beautiful especially a greenish (teal?) gown she wears during a particular scene. I’m almost certain she has the most outfit changes out of any live-action Disney Princess so far (I counted 8 excluding her tail haha)

-I LOVE the new direction they took with the daughters of Triton/Ariel’s sisters and the artistry on the tail designs and their looks are breathtaking! A kaleidoscope of different color combinations with the hair, makeup, bras and tails. I absolutely adore how they all had a major role in the film compared to the animated one and I know you guys will love the new twist involving them!

-new songs are honestly OK, if you love Lin Manuel Miranda then you’ll love them but imo we didn’t need them in the film

-Melissa McCarthy as Ursula was dare I say…sexy? was pleasantly surprised with the direction they took her character and look, but Melissa TRANSFORMED herself, you almost had to do a double take because she didn’t even sound like her usual self and definitely gave Ursula her own sex appeal like the animated film. She also has some funny scenes as well which had us dying! Her rendition of Poor Unfortunate Souls is *chef kisses*, a few us actually started singing along

-This film is a tearjerker so be prepared…I have never cried during a Disney live-action remake but this got me. From the opening scene to the ending scene, so many moments where a few people got teary-eyed and Halle performs those emotional gut wrenching scenes very well, seeing her cry honestly broke me

-although I had my reservations on Awkwafina being in this film for obvious reasons, I can’t even lie…she stole the show. All the best comedic relief was from her, including a little rap she does which I know sounds awful but was actually by far the funniest scene in the movie. She really killed it and I have to give her props, I couldn’t wait for the scene with Scuttle because you knew it was gonna be jokes and banter

Overall, although they have ton of scenes to edit and it’s definitely not completely finished yet (VFX) which they definitely will keep adjusting and touching leading up the release, but this is by far the best live-action film adaption of a Disney film since The Jungle Book and you can tell Disney took their time with this one. Realistically 4.5/5 …(for me though 5/5 but I’ll reserve that rating till the official May release)

how was Jessica Alexander in the film? She’s the actress that plays Vanessa! Thank u so much for all the info btw
I’m not familiar with the actress but she KILLS it as Vanessa I fear she was really serving face the entire time and was equally as menacing and seductive as the character should be. Glad she had more scenes in the film compared to the animated (cat fight with Halle during the wedding was hilarious because they come for each other’s necks and hair pulling ) but Jessica (just like Halle) is due to become an “It Girl” after this, because with such a small role..she just has such a memorable screen presence and is really captivating. Deliciously evil.

mg oomf just posted about Simone on twitter as India. Can you tell us more? How does she look? I hope her character is pretty
Her character is STUNNING I love Simone in everything she is so it really caught me by surprise when I saw her as a sister, I had no idea she was even in this movie lol but she has long curly black hair that looks incredible with the underwater effects with how it moves, her tail and bra are gold/yellow color combination, nails are painted yellow, a gold choker, gold cuff bracelets, she wears a tiara (similar to Triton but more smaller) and gold (what I think looked like seashells?) earrings

the Devil’s playthings

All the sisters

Last edited:
This movie is gonna be a banger. May 2023 is packed with bangers...Guardians 3, Little Mermaid, Fast X, Tears of the Kingdom and Suicide Squad. It'll be a time to remember.

Yeah I was just saying to my friend the other day that come this time next year, I think audiences are gonna be really sick of underwater blockbusters. :funny:

I wish they had a new trailer but the teaser in front of Avatar was very nice to see.

yeah, definitely time for a teaser. Lion King got one around this time and it was released in July

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"