Luke Cage: Update

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070213n.php

lukecage.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Luke Cage" Film Hitting A Snag[/FONT]Posted: Tuesday February 13th 2007 3:28amSource: ColliderAuthor: Garth Franklin John Singleton has been wanting to make a film adaptation of the comic "Luke Cage" for a while, but at present not many are salivating at the prospect.

Talking with Collider, the "Shaft" and "2 Fast 2 Furious" director revealed that because it's a black superhero - "studios still, some studios, don't understand that yeah, it is a black superhero but so what? He's a superhero."

More important to him though is getting it right - "It's got to have a great script. We have a great script. We have a couple of great scripts. It's just a matter, like I said, some people have not got it yet. I'm not saying every studio on the board, some people haven't got it that multi-ethnic sells"

Finally, what's the storyline? "It's basically a guy that gets out of jail, basically breaks his way out of jail and he's basically a superman. He has to learn to be a hero for the sake of being a hero, not because somebody pays him to be a hero. What would an ex-con do if he had powers? He'd go back to the neighborhood and be like, 'Okay, yeah, I'll help you but you've got to pay me. If you're not paying me, I'm going to make sure you don't...' He's going to be kind of a thug but then he's got to realize that you do things for the right thing, not just for profit."

I think Marvel and most people would like to see a Black Panther movie more than Luke Cage.

Both? Hardly when Thor and Cap have not been filmed yet. There seems to be a maximum of 3 marvel movies/year or it will be oversaturation.

^ Thor and Cap have nothing to do with other films getting off the ground.When they're ready...they're ready. Marvel has 525 million of revolving credit to play with. Also Cage is at Sony.

Marvel's first African-American superhero with his own book. This movie had damn-well better get made. Damnit.

Luke Cage? In his own movie? Meh.

Now, H4H, that'd be a different story... :up:

Here's hoping they scrap the Iron Fist movie, and just make the Luke Cage sequel a Heroes for Hire movie.

there has got to be one studio willing to get this movie made. With Blade being a big hit you would of guessed it would of opened some doors to get a black superhero movie green lit.

**** yes, good to know that they're after a good script. And I'm really likin' Singleton's view on the flick. :up:

ARGH!

This is one of my top 5 characters, and I've been looking forward to this movie for awhile :(

Why the sad face man? It's happenin! :cmad::up:

Singleton is one of the rare directors that actually has an extensive knowledge of the character, so I have faith in him doing this. Though I do want Black Panther first if they greenlight that one. They could make that a decent franchise if they market it right.

Luke Cage has always sounded like a good concept. Blade worked well, so I don't think it has a thing to do with ethnicity. People just want a hero they can have fun watching on celluloid. If it has solid writing and a good cast it would be great to see. It doesn't even have to have a huge budget given the powers of Cage, just a good sense of what works and what doesn't.

I hope Tyrese isn't Luke Cage...He just doesn't fit the part. and I hope John Singleton doesn't screw up either...John Singleton seems like he cries when he can't get his way and I hope the script involves more than just going back to the hood and learning about life..The man was in prison for God's sakes! John Singleton shouldn't have him break out of prison but get released early for good behavior and thus has a new look @ life then goes back to the hood and tries to make a change...not learn how to be a man...He is a man...He just got gifted with superpowers...I hope Singleton doesn't have his head up his ass for this film.

But part of Luke Cage's origin is that he broke out of prison.

I don't think it's the issue of Cage having gone to prison so much as the fear that this is going to be a 'reunion with the hood' movie that turns into Steel on a bigger budget.

But this is John Singleton. With him, we can get Boyz N The Hood with superpowers.

Besides, Steel was directed by some guy who used to direct episodes of Alien Nation. Entirely different league.

true that. but we all know there's no way a black man is breaking out of prison and just returning to the hood. Not in the 70's and not in 2007.

I think Cage should be sentenced to prison for 20 years at age 18 for a crime that he accidentally got involved with. Then when he's like 25 after 7 years he gets the option to do the experiment and does it. But the experiments prove to be uneffective so they think, so he's released on good conduct.

His powers should set in when he arrives home, by this time he's matured and realizes he can make a difference and starts to help people. Cage should be a man with a good heart. That's why he chooses to become a hero. They also can't make this movie without Hip Hop, it's vital to the story and who he is.

I say we should've let Spike Lee direct this movie. Then all of the white characters would be either incompetent, irrational, or just plain evil. Oh, and we'd get a 70s song or two thrown in. And Rosie Perez waving around Cage's baby.

"Lukie, when you gon' take cara yo kid, ah-right?"

They just need to take their time and hire a creative team to write a bangin script. Then hire an unknown director with major talent...I really don't wanna see Singleton's interpretation it's just so predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"