Luke Cage: Update

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Advanced Dark, Feb 14, 2007.

1. 32CAGE

32CAGE Well-Known Member

I think critical to Cage's origin was that he was convicted of a crime he did not commit. I don't like the idea of him committing a crime accidentally or otherwise. Secondly, in order for the movie to be successful it has to have cross-over appeal. IMHO it can just be a hip hop movie.

2. engen

engen Guest

Yeah That's what I meant by accidental- meaning that for the crime he didn't commit. He should learn from that. I think the film should definately be set in the hood: combining gritty realism with hip hop. Hip hop is world wide they'll be alot of kids checking out the film because of the comic book aspect as well as the hip hop. I don't think this film should be aimed towards the average comic book consumer: 20-30 year old white males.

3. blud_knight

blud_knight Well-Known Member

i know wrestylers in movies are like anchovies on pizza, but this might work.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Franklin Richards

Franklin Richards Well-Known Member

Luke Cage is Gold.

Please let the sequel be Heroes for Hire.

Crazy Black man! Kung Fu! This movie sells itself.

[​IMG]

:ff: :ff: :ff:

5. Advanced Dark

Advanced Dark Well-Known Member

No wrestlers or ex-football players please.

6. blud_knight

^ fine hollywood trash all the way

7. Storm22

Storm22 Well-Known Member

That's a ridiculous thing for the "Shaft" director to say - that people don't want to see a black superhero!!:rolleyes:

We've already had Blade and Storm in superhero movies!

8. blud_knight

these are the smae dumbass people who say women can't be heroes. Look at Resident Evil, Milla is one of the most badass women in film history

9. Frico

Frico The Man Without Fear

:up:

10. Manic

Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

That is the best panel to ever come out of any comic book. Ever.

11. odiin

odiin Well-Known Member

Uh... yeah.

I would say to have an ACTOR act in a movie is probably the best choice. Yeah, I would definitely go with that.

12. Manic

No no. Let's skip over the need for talent, and cast people in movies based entirely on their appearances. Let's cast pro wrestlers for every superhero, and supermodels for every superheroine. Then every movie can be written by Simon Kinberg, and directed by Brett Ratner, and this whole genre of film will finally die a painful death.

Nah, I like your idea better. Let's use actors.

13. blud_knight

all i am saying is that they will probably pick some guy who is either to old, or to fat for the part. They will do this because people go to movies to see actors with known names and not actors who fit roles. Snipes is 20 years to old.

14. odiin

odiin Well-Known Member

Well it's a good thing Tyrese is up for the role then, huh?

15. blud_knight

^ that I would be fine with

16. GL1

GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

Hollywood is dumb and scared. If it hasn't been done before, they won't do it. Sony's not going to spend a dime on Luke Cage unless someone comes and shows them that a black superhero has crossover appeal, just like someone had to show people black sci-fi heroes have crossover appeal and black action heroes have crossover appeal. You should've seen the crap on Will Smith's Pursuit of Happyness. Studios wouldn't bother releasing it worldwide because no one had come and shown them that black people can sell movies.

It's retarted and indicative of the spineless idocy of our society.

17. He-Man

He-Man Well-Known Member

Black movies can sale but you're right about studios being scared of taking chances. The movie Stomp The Yard cost Sony 13 mil to make it made 62 mil(just an example). So if Luke Cage does get made its going to be on a very low budget and not as some kind of big budget block buster superhero flick.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying about the Pursuit of Happyness though. It was released worldwide. It actually made over 300 mil worldwide according to boxofficemojo. Will Smith is on an entirely different level than other black actors (as far as crossover appeal). He's has a proven track record of making studios money so they will support films that he's in. Other black actors not so much.

18. GL1

GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

Yeah, studios were finally convinced to release PoH worldwide, but there was a big fight about it, despite Smith's proven crossover appeal. And I don't think any other actor's crossover appeal has been disproved, but rather, studios just won't take the same chances on, say, Derek Luke or Columbus Short until they make 5-6 crossover movies. Studios never want to just admit "Hey, black people sell too!"

19. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

i'm hoping the film gets underway soon (i.e., within a year's time).. Marvel "might" be biding their time until the option expires with Sony Films, so they can move it under their own studio..

20. Advanced Dark

Advanced Dark Well-Known Member

Ok guys the script is done. Will Singleton do this first or Black Panther. Well he does have at least one film to do before starting either. Marvel got Luke Cage rights back but it is not part of the financed slate so Marvel needs to have it added to the Merill slate like Hulk & Iron Man, or get alternate financing. Luke Cage on the other hand does not have a ready script but financing is in place. LOL

My bet...Luke Cage is added to the slate and starts filming early 2008 for a 2009 release and with be Marvel Studios 2nd film in 2009. Thor and Luke Cage.

http://blackstarnews.com/?c=135&a=3595

Here's the exerpt:

21. Manic

That interviewer sucks.

22. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

He didn't say people don't want see Black Superhero movies. He said the studio's are reluctant to fund or make them.

23. chiefchirpa

chiefchirpa Haaa-rooooooo

Ok, give Singleton Luke Cage. Just don't double dip with Black Panther.

24. ANTOINE X

ANTOINE X FLY

So what? There are not big budget movies like cap and spider man so there s maybe hope. Not at the same time of course.

25. ANTOINE X

ANTOINE X FLY

The best would be Antoine Fuqua for Black Panther and Singleton for Luke Cage!

To be honest I would rather like to see black panther first.