Luke Cage: Update

true that. but we all know there's no way a black man is breaking out of prison and just returning to the hood. Not in the 70's and not in 2007.

I think Cage should be sentenced to prison for 20 years at age 18 for a crime that he accidentally got involved with. Then when he's like 25 after 7 years he gets the option to do the experiment and does it. But the experiments prove to be uneffective so they think, so he's released on good conduct.

His powers should set in when he arrives home, by this time he's matured and realizes he can make a difference and starts to help people. Cage should be a man with a good heart. That's why he chooses to become a hero. They also can't make this movie without Hip Hop, it's vital to the story and who he is.

I think critical to Cage's origin was that he was convicted of a crime he did not commit. I don't like the idea of him committing a crime accidentally or otherwise. Secondly, in order for the movie to be successful it has to have cross-over appeal. IMHO it can just be a hip hop movie.

I think critical to Cage's origin was that he was convicted of a crime he did not commit. I don't like the idea of him committing a crime accidentally or otherwise. Secondly, in order for the movie to be successful it has to have cross-over appeal. IMHO it can just be a hip hop movie.

Yeah That's what I meant by accidental- meaning that for the crime he didn't commit. He should learn from that. I think the film should definately be set in the hood: combining gritty realism with hip hop. Hip hop is world wide they'll be alot of kids checking out the film because of the comic book aspect as well as the hip hop. I don't think this film should be aimed towards the average comic book consumer: 20-30 year old white males.

i know wrestylers in movies are like anchovies on pizza, but this might work.
465326_a387279251_m.jpg

Lukecage.jpg

Luke Cage is Gold.

Please let the sequel be Heroes for Hire.

Crazy Black man! Kung Fu! This movie sells itself.

funnycomic_cagedoommoney.jpg

:ff: :ff: :ff:

That's a ridiculous thing for the "Shaft" director to say - that people don't want to see a black superhero!!:rolleyes:

We've already had Blade and Storm in superhero movies!

That's a ridiculous thing for the "Shaft" director to say - that people don't want to see a black superhero!!:rolleyes:

these are the smae dumbass people who say women can't be heroes. Look at Resident Evil, Milla is one of the most badass women in film history

Uh... yeah.

I would say to have an ACTOR act in a movie is probably the best choice. Yeah, I would definitely go with that.
No no. Let's skip over the need for talent, and cast people in movies based entirely on their appearances. Let's cast pro wrestlers for every superhero, and supermodels for every superheroine. Then every movie can be written by Simon Kinberg, and directed by Brett Ratner, and this whole genre of film will finally die a painful death.

Nah, I like your idea better. Let's use actors.

all i am saying is that they will probably pick some guy who is either to old, or to fat for the part. They will do this because people go to movies to see actors with known names and not actors who fit roles. Snipes is 20 years to old.

all i am saying is that they will probably pick some guy who is either to old, or to fat for the part. They will do this because people go to movies to see actors with known names and not actors who fit roles. Snipes is 20 years to old.

Well it's a good thing Tyrese is up for the role then, huh?

Hollywood is dumb and scared. If it hasn't been done before, they won't do it. Sony's not going to spend a dime on Luke Cage unless someone comes and shows them that a black superhero has crossover appeal, just like someone had to show people black sci-fi heroes have crossover appeal and black action heroes have crossover appeal. You should've seen the crap on Will Smith's Pursuit of Happyness. Studios wouldn't bother releasing it worldwide because no one had come and shown them that black people can sell movies.

It's retarted and indicative of the spineless idocy of our society.

Hollywood is dumb and scared. If it hasn't been done before, they won't do it. Sony's not going to spend a dime on Luke Cage unless someone comes and shows them that a black superhero has crossover appeal, just like someone had to show people black sci-fi heroes have crossover appeal and black action heroes have crossover appeal. You should've seen the crap on Will Smith's Pursuit of Happyness. Studios wouldn't bother releasing it worldwide because no one had come and shown them that black people can sell movies.

It's retarted and indicative of the spineless idocy of our society.

Black movies can sale but you're right about studios being scared of taking chances. The movie Stomp The Yard cost Sony 13 mil to make it made 62 mil(just an example). So if Luke Cage does get made its going to be on a very low budget and not as some kind of big budget block buster superhero flick.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying about the Pursuit of Happyness though. It was released worldwide. It actually made over 300 mil worldwide according to boxofficemojo. Will Smith is on an entirely different level than other black actors (as far as crossover appeal). He's has a proven track record of making studios money so they will support films that he's in. Other black actors not so much.

Yeah, studios were finally convinced to release PoH worldwide, but there was a big fight about it, despite Smith's proven crossover appeal. And I don't think any other actor's crossover appeal has been disproved, but rather, studios just won't take the same chances on, say, Derek Luke or Columbus Short until they make 5-6 crossover movies. Studios never want to just admit "Hey, black people sell too!"

i'm hoping the film gets underway soon (i.e., within a year's time).. Marvel "might" be biding their time until the option expires with Sony Films, so they can move it under their own studio..

Ok guys the script is done. Will Singleton do this first or Black Panther. Well he does have at least one film to do before starting either. Marvel got Luke Cage rights back but it is not part of the financed slate so Marvel needs to have it added to the Merill slate like Hulk & Iron Man, or get alternate financing. Luke Cage on the other hand does not have a ready script but financing is in place. LOL

My bet...Luke Cage is added to the slate and starts filming early 2008 for a 2009 release and with be Marvel Studios 2nd film in 2009. Thor and Luke Cage.

http://blackstarnews.com/?c=135&a=3595

Here's the exerpt:

BSN: Are you itching to get back in the director’s chair?
JS: Yes, I’m about to direct a movie right now with Halle Berry.

BSN: You mean the crime drama Luke Cage?
JS: No, Tulia. Tulia, Texas.

BSN: Halle’s already signed on and you’re making that movie before Luke Cage?
JS: Yes.

BSN: What’s it about?
JS: It about a small town in Texas where all these Black people were arrested and railroaded for drug-dealing.

BSN: Oh, I remember that real-life case. They all were framed. It’s good that you’re telling their story, like another Rosewood. Are you worried about Illegal Tender’s R rating?
JS: Why would I worry about it?

BSN: Weren’t you shooting for a PG-13?
JS: With this movie? Heck no, it wasn’t even a consideration.

BSN: Has the backlash that brought down Don Imus influenced you now as you go about making movies?
JS: No, not at all. Why should that effect me?

BSN: Well, when I’m watching a movie, and I hear someone refer to a Black female as a “ho”, I definitely flinch and feel distracted and think about Imus’ remark.
JS: But why does it take Don Imus to make anybody watch what they say in terms of how they talk about their own people. I don’t give a damn about Don Imus. I think Black people need to check themselves. He said what he said because he was trying to be hip and cool, and he learned that language from us. It wasn’t from a whole bunch of white people sitting around talking about “nappy-headed hos.” He got too familiar.

BSN: Did you feel comfortable casting Rick Gonzalez and Wanda De Jesus, a
couple of relative unknowns, as your leads in what could prove to be breakout roles for them?
JS: Yes I did. Look at my other pictures. That’s what I do. I use new people. And after I use them, they become stars.

BSN: Like you did for Tyrese in Baby Boy. Now, he’s in blockbusters like Transformers. Is he attached to Luke Cage?
JS: Not yet.

BSN: What’s the plan for that picture?
JS: Well, we have a script, but we’re really trying to work it out with the studio. The studio hasn’t made a deal for it yet.

That interviewer sucks.

He didn't say people don't want see Black Superhero movies. He said the studio's are reluctant to fund or make them.

Ok, give Singleton Luke Cage. Just don't double dip with Black Panther.

Both? Hardly when Thor and Cap have not been filmed yet. There seems to be a maximum of 3 marvel movies/year or it will be oversaturation.

So what? There are not big budget movies like cap and spider man so there s maybe hope. Not at the same time of course.

The best would be Antoine Fuqua for Black Panther and Singleton for Luke Cage!

To be honest I would rather like to see black panther first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"