Mad Max: Fury Road - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really curious to see how general audiences are going to take to this, and especially to Tom as Max.

I feel like it could either set him as an action hero star, or flop.

I can guarantee you most of my friends have no idea what Mad Max is. I didn't really know either until it was on TV a few months ago.

But Max will have a game next year so that will help the brand. It was a cult film series that got mainstream with the third one only to become cult again. It's very niche depites it's influence on pop culture. Also it has very gay and bondage undertones that was ahead of its time.

Last edited:
I don't expect anybody under 30 to really be familiar unless they're like one of those hipsters that researches cult stuff. I don't even think that many kids in Australia itself know him all that well.

I still think it's due to Mel Gibson to a certain degree. It's also a very strange, weird franchise too.

Unless they have been to Burning Man the last couple of years…
They usually have a ThunderDome.:awesome:

That's the thing. Thunderdome is totally got ingrained into pop culture but I'm sure no one knows that it came from Mad Max!

In fact the whole cocept of Thunderdome has outgrew Mad Max culturally.

Well then they are just lazy at researching anything...:csad:

thunderdome.jpg

The funny thing about when I first saw Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is how the fine itself plays such a small role in the film despite boring iconic. I also find that Mel had his worst Max performance in it too; he lacked the quiet danger he had in the second film. What I got instead was a silence boredom from his demeanor.

Yeah, Thunderdome is the definitely the weakest of the three. Kind of lost its way a bit.

I can guarantee you most of my friends have no idea what Mad Max is. I didn't really know either until it was on TV a few months ago.
how old are you?:wow:

mad max movies were in the 90's every 6 month on tv.

They used to play these movies all the time in the 2000's but have recently stopped. Think about it..when was the last time you saw a Mel Gibson film on basic cable? It's been years.

They used to play these movies all the time in the 2000's but have recently stopped. Think about it..when was the last time you saw a Mel Gibson film on basic cable? It's been years.
"The Patriot" is always on during the Fourth of July and other appropriate holidays. Also I see Lethal Weapon 4 from time to timel.

But it's not as often as it was. That's my point.

But it's not as often as it was. That's my point.
True, but I think that has more to do with how old the films are at this point. How many films from the 80s and early 90s do you see on cable that aren't tied to holidays?

reading your post......i just now realized that there are almost no Mel Gibson movies on free cable channels. :shock

I don't expect anybody under 30 to really be familiar unless they're like one of those hipsters that researches cult stuff. I don't even think that many kids in Australia itself know him all that well.
I'm 27 and grew up watching Mad Max :(

I saw the original trilogy when I was really, really young.

Mad Max 2 is shown on ITV here in the UK regularly.

I saw The Road Warrior plenty of times on tv while growing up, and I also remember seeing Thunderdome once or twice. The first one though I only saw a few years ago for the first time, and I am 25.

I hope this one has good villains too.

lord-humungous-ties-up-vernon-wells.jpg

Going by various Twitter and Instagram posts of the those involved with the film it looks like filming finished tonight in Sydney on the Fox Studios lot.

Now, the long wait for May 2015 though next year should be great for Fury Road news. I'd imagine we'd see two trailers (1 in the Summer and 1 with The Hobbit in December?) along with hopefully a panel at SDCC. Plus the inevitable official stills and poster. :woot:

Possible leaked character photos. Upper right looks kinda like Hugh Keays-Byrne.

**Removed by studio request**

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back