Man Of Steel Trailer Crowd Reactions Thread

It only got a 7/10 from me, but I was tired. I am going with a friend again in the next few days, I'm gonna give it a second chance :)

lol Kosinki is a hack, Oblivion is not going to have good word of mouth. The movie was worth it because I got to see the new trailer on the big screen.

I wouldn't call him a hack. He's still young and learning. He's an outstanding visual director he just needs to reel in his pacing and story telling a bit better. It is getting decent word of mouth it has a B- on Cinemascore right now.

I'm hoping it's also attached to Iron Man 3. It'll really grab people's attention then. As for me seeing the trailer, I see it in 2D and my audience reacted very positively to it. Scattered applause and at the end of it, some lady shouted "Superman is back baby!!!" to a big laugh haha.

Oh and Oblivious was really solid.

Scattered applause and at the end of it, some lady shouted "Superman is back baby!!!" to a big laugh haha.

:applaud

Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif

This is the 8th year Ive been following these up close. 99.9999% of the "they clapped" reactions are fake.

Takes a packed house with a very enthusiastic crowd AND an extremely hyped film. The ONLY time I have ever seen an audience clap out at all was at the end of the THE DARK KNIGHT RISES trailer with avengers at midnight. Sold out house full of jubilant comic book geeks. "This isn't a car" - cut to the Bat barrel rolling over a sky scrapper - they clapped and cheered like it was a football game. Other than that, never seen clapping at a trailer before. Sure, everyone knows the stories of folks going into the theater and watching the trailer for Batman 1989 or Jurassic park 2, but that before trailer viewing on the internet had really blown up.

One needs to know - the TRUE sign of an effective trailer is NOT chattering. It is SILENCE throughout the trailer. When the TDKR trailer aired with Avengers, you could have heard a pin drop.

This is the 8th year Ive been following these up close. 99.9999% of the "they clapped" reactions are fake.

Takes a packed house with a very enthusiastic crowd AND an extremely hyped film. The ONLY time I have ever seen an audience clap out at all was at the end of the THE DARK KNIGHT RISES trailer with avengers at midnight. Sold out house full of jubilant comic book geeks. "This isn't a car" - cut to the Bat barrel rolling over a sky scrapper - they clapped and cheered like it was a football game. Other than that, never seen clapping at a trailer before. Sure, everyone knows the stories of folks going into the theater and watching the trailer for Batman 1989 or Jurassic park 2, but that before trailer viewing on the internet had really blown up.

One needs to know - the TRUE sign of an effective trailer is NOT chattering. It is SILENCE throughout the trailer. When the TDKR trailer aired with Avengers, you could have heard a pin drop.

Thank you. Can't agree more. Maybe it is because I'm Canadian and we are all so polite :o, but I have never seen people react openly to a trailer or movie through clapping or hooting or hollering. And that includes plenty of midnight showings. Attentive silence followed by enthusiastic discussion afterwards seems to be the only indication I ever get that a theatre crowd loved something.

I find this trailer reaction thing really weird. In the UK we don't react at all to any trailers, I think maybe because it's seen as rude to be noisy in a film theatre. Hmm.

We had one lad say Woah when Superman flew really fast with that kick butt flying shot then he zaps off over the desert, then another annoying kid who whispered cool as he was punching krypton man.

Overall though, it was just so dead silence except for the obese and overweight crunching on their popcorn like the humans in Wall-E

Wait. Fake? You really think everyone is lying about applause? :huh:

I don't think it's as rare as you think. And even if it is, I don't think "99.9999%" of people would lie about it.

Exhibit A:
[YT]ZJQ_rWyPlpk[/YT]

Exhibit B:
[YT]jOf-dmU-6EA[/YT]

I find this trailer reaction thing really weird. In the UK we don't react at all to any trailers, I think maybe because it's seen as rude to be noisy in a film theatre. Hmm.

Yeah, it must just be those uncouth American audiences. No manners. :oldrazz:

I don't think it's as rare as you think. And even if it is, I don't think "99.9999%" of people would lie about it.

Exhibit A:
[YT]ZJQ_rWyPlpk[/YT]

Exhibit B:
[YT]jOf-dmU-6EA[/YT]

I think both of those examples fit into my description of the situation required for mass trailer applause. ;)

so they converted this movie into IMAX and 3D right?

I think both of those examples fit into my description of the situation required for mass trailer applause. ;)

Well, then I must have misinterpreted you, because to me it sounded like you thought those reactions were "fake." That was very confusing to me.

You said, "99.9999% of the 'they clapped' reactions are fake," but I just don't see why so many people would lie about applause. And I think most of those reactions fit into your "description of the situation required for mass trailer applause," anyway. So I guess I just don't really understand what you were trying to say.

I agree, however, that silence during a trailer is a good sign. But I think cheering and applause after a trailer are also good signs.

Personally, I have never been at a theater where anybody clapped after a trailer. The typical reactions I see after a good trailer is the quiet chatter about it.

Yeah, it must just be those uncouth American audiences. No manners. :oldrazz:

I can't speak for all of America, but I certainly share the attitude that it's rude to be noisy during a film, and I think most Americans agree. I think most of these noisy, cheering reactions that we hear about are during midnight premieres, which are packed with hard-core fans. And even then, it's during the trailers rather than the feature film.

In fact, I've never personally experienced any wild cheering or applause during a movie here in the States. Then again, I've never gone to any midnight premieres, either (MoS will be my first!), so I'm sure my sample-group is skewed.

Last edited:
I can't speak for all of America, but I certainly share the attitude that it's rude to be noisy during a film, and I think most Americans agree. I think most of these noisy, cheering reactions that we hear about are during midnight premieres, which are packed with hard-core fans. And even then, it's during the trailers rather than the feature film.

In fact, I've never personally experienced any wild cheering or applause during a movie here in the States. Then again, I've never gone to any midnight premieres, either (MoS will be my first!), so I'm sure my sample-group is skewed.

I was completely kidding about the American thing. Hence the :oldrazz:. The demographics of that really mystify me though. I have attended several midnight premieres as I've mentioned and I've never heard vocal reactions to either the trailers or the film itself. And I was in Imax showings, so the fandom should have been especially intense. So what makes the fanboys at my theatre different from the ones that get posted to the Internet?

Sometimes I wonder if it is a rural vs urban thing or something else. I don't live in the biggest of cities. Ironically, I only have one friend who get worked up during trailers or movies and he is more of a general audience type or casual fan at best. I love the guy, but he's pretty much the loud, not so bright Halo-playing fratboy stereotype. So my personal experience kind of goes against the mold of it being a hardcore fan thing.

I've been in theaters where people would clap or shout out something. During the first teaser trailer when Supes broke the sound barrier, I yelled "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!" With laughter and a few "AWWW YEAH" and "SUPERMAN!" cheers. Felt good.

Exhibit A:
[YT]ZJQ_rWyPlpk[/YT]

Exhibit B:
[YT]jOf-dmU-6EA[/YT]

I'm at the center of this kind of thing in L.A....(Burbank AMC and Pasadena Arclight). It's quite regular...during opening weekend for big movies.

Everyone is just hyped.

I'm at the center of this kind of thing in L.A....(Burbank AMC and Pasadena Arclight). It's quite regular...during opening weekend for big movies.

Everyone is just hyped.

yes.

in the LA area it's almost normal to hear some applause or chatter after a trailer.

I was flipping through the channels earlier this morning, and there was a show on where various celebrities were being asked about their most anticipated films of the year. Some cute young actress started gushing about MOS and how she's a huge fan of anything Christopher Nolan does (it didn't seem like she was aware of the fact that Snyder's actually directing the movie). Then, after she repeated the film title, another girl next to her chimed in, "Beautiful man of steel!"

Takes a packed house with a very enthusiastic crowd AND an extremely hyped film.
It's not as rare as you make it sound. It happens in my area (Washington DC) all the time. But you're right in that the majority of the time it's during packed (most often midnight) shows. It just depends on the demographic make-up of the audience, though. When I went to see Django Unchained on a Saturday evening (around 7pm), we had a fairly young, rowdy crowd who had audible reactions to just about every trailer (good and bad). That's the fun (and risk) of a movie theater audience - you never know what kind of communal experience you're gonna get. One person can have some funny, loud reaction to something, and that can elicit a joint reaction from everybody else in the room. Suddenly you're all in on the fun. That's the experience home video will never be able to replicate, imo.

As for the topic, the two times I saw Oblivion they only showed the old trailer, and there were no reactions. Boo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"