The Dark Knight Rises Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate VIII (Team Frenchie Edition)

It's quite funny how Marion was geeking out IRL in seeing Bale wearing the Batman costume when the scene they're going to shoot right here is her character stabbing and betraying Batman. :funny:

vPq1X.gif
0Kr8h.gif

9sjII.gif
JrXGp.gif

yUY5u.gif
KLfuj.gif

Lol. That cat 'dying' like Marion's Talia. It's actually like that in the movie. She has her head to the side and then all of a sudden throws it down and closes her eyes. :funny:

If only she had woken up after, like the cat too. :hehe:

Maybe she's not really dead... She just faked her death and that's why it looks like ****. :wow: She escaped to raise Damien. ;)

Maybe she's not really dead... She just faked her death and that's why it looks like ****. :wow: She escaped to raise Damien. ;)
LMAO! I've already seen people proclaiming this on twitter and tumblr. :funny:

I was pretty careful to avoid spoilers. I had hoped Talia would be in TDKR because I liked the character from the BTAS and wanted to see it in live action. When I heard Marion was cast, I thought she might be Talia based on her looks and the job she did in inception. I thought the Begins DVD reference to Talia increased the odds.

Despite all this, and the numerous hints during the movie (do what is necessary, etc.), halfway through I was sure she was just Miranda. I shared the genuine shock of the audience when she knifed Batman. I'm very glad, I avoided spoilers.

I thought she did a good job portraying and endearing character before the reveal and a diabolical one after. I didn't mind her death scene, although it was certainly not a highlight. I do think she should have had a fight scene, even if it was short.

Last edited:
Other than the overacted death scene at the end--oh Marion, why--I liked the Talia twist and enjoyed it.

Part of me wish there had been a genuine love relationship between Bruce and Talia, kinda like how it is in the comics. Of course, their love relationship has been pretty much dead for awhile ever since the Death and Maidens story.

I thought this was a very poor performance, albeit with a poor character to play. I have always been unimpressed with Marion, and it is a great relief that she wasn't cast as Catwoman, as many hoped.

The worst thing about her character was that it robbed Bane of some of his mystery and menace. It was as if Tate blandly slumbered her way through the movie, remaining largely unnoticed, before she robbed the limelight from Bane, and even made that dull.

Marion did no justice to Talia, but then neither did the script. Overall, the inclusion of this character was a pointless misadventure, so I suppose Marion's failure to bring it to life is fairly irrelevant.

That black cat did a better death scene than Marion.

This thread still makes me sad at the potential of what could have been with Talia.

It's quite funny how Marion was geeking out IRL in seeing Bale wearing the Batman costume when the scene they're going to shoot right here is her character stabbing and betraying Batman. :funny:

vPq1X.gif
0Kr8h.gif

9sjII.gif
JrXGp.gif

yUY5u.gif
KLfuj.gif

:funny:

I liked Marion's acting in TDKR, except the last scene.

Nolan did a good thing by casting her as Miranda Tate, I cannot see any other actress in her place. :hrt:

(she does stabbing scenes convincingly) LOL.

I thought this was a very poor performance, albeit with a poor character to play. I have always been unimpressed with Marion, and it is a great relief that she wasn't cast as Catwoman, as many hoped.

The worst thing about her character was that it robbed Bane of some of his mystery and menace. It was as if Tate blandly slumbered her way through the movie, remaining largely unnoticed, before she robbed the limelight from Bane, and even made that dull.

Marion did no justice to Talia, but then neither did the script. Overall, the inclusion of this character was a pointless misadventure, so I suppose Marion's failure to bring it to life is fairly irrelevant.

I couldn't agree more. The whole character was a huge mis-fire.

The strange thing is, unlike most people, I'm not bothered that Bane got killed off by Selina at the end.

I hate to open another can of worms, but I read an interesting article that suggested a lot of people are actually bothered by the idea that Bane might have been "under the direction of a woman" in TDKR. The reduced to henchman mentality shows submission, and in this case if Talia is in charge, Bane is under her orders and not in command-which bothers some.

Not my personal opinion, but I thought it was an interesting take.

It's nothing to do with the gender or Bane's boss, it's that he has one at all. Much of the movie is spend building him up as the big bad, the "legend" who was born in hell, clawed his way out, and has come to burn Gotham to ashes.

Then we find out that he is just the bodyguard to another, duller character. All that cool stuff about Bane? That was her, really.

Marion's performance was strong. There is great contrast between vulnerable Miranda to creepy & strong Talia.

Except death scene (which is not as bad as some people overreacting ) her performance in this limited role is really good.

You want to see weak performance? Watch Katie Holmes again.:woot:

If that's a strong Marion performance then I'd hate to see her give a weak one.

You want to see weak performance? Watch Katie Holmes again.:woot:
I think they are on par with each other, actually.

You can believe that Marion is the better actress of the two, but I found nothing in her performance here to support that supposition. Her mantra seems to be "one tone, one expression, once accent".

Getting out of the pit isn't about being a badass. It's a great accomplishment but it has nothing to do with being a badass. Doctor said it best: Fear of death made the kid jump.

Little Talia had fear of death when others were attacking her so she made the jump. Bruce had fear of death because he might die before saving Gotham.

Bane didn't have such spirit. He didn't needed accept death for getting out the pit. He was already one of the guys in the pit.Strong enough to take care of Talia. Both Talia & Bruce desperate to get out even if they die for it.

I think they are on par with each other, actually.

You can believe that Marion is the better actress of the two, but I found nothing in her performance here to support that supposition. Her mantra seems to be "one tone, one expression, once accent".

Are you serious? She was like boring but good hearted woman as Miranda...and quite creepy and charismatic as Talia in "stabbing scene" Having an accent doesn't make a performance bad. :whatever:

Of course Marion is far better actress than Katie Holmes. That's not even arguable. But in TDKR she had much better performance than Katie Holmes even though Rachel was a big part of the movie in BB.

The strange thing is, unlike most people, I'm not bothered that Bane got killed off by Selina at the end.

I hate to open another can of worms, but I read an interesting article that suggested a lot of people are actually bothered by the idea that Bane might have been "under the direction of a woman" in TDKR. The reduced to henchman mentality shows submission, and in this case if Talia is in charge, Bane is under her orders and not in command-which bothers some.

Not my personal opinion, but I thought it was an interesting take.

Mmm-hmm. Two of the two big complaints seem to be about what the women in the movie do to him. They violate the tenets of patriarchy, that's what happened. :oldrazz:

Are you serious? She was like boring but good hearted woman as Miranda...and quite creepy and charismatic as Talia in "stabbing scene" Having an accent doesn't make a performance bad. :whatever:

Of course Marion is far better actress than Katie Holmes. That's not even arguable. But in TDKR she had much better performance than Katie Holmes even though Rachel was a big part of the movie in BB.

She was portrayed as a sweet little angel in the few scenes that she had, and did a good job throughout. I don't think it's Cotillard's best recent English-language performance. I prefer her in Midnight in Paris and Inception...did people forget she (Leo's memory) dies in that? Anyway, she needed more time on screen with Bruce Wayne (so that things like the "stuck-up girlfriend Selina quip" or Batman's horrified reaction to her betrayal are earned) and more of an original motivation as a villain.

Are you serious?
Yes.

She was like boring but good hearted woman as Miranda...
Why did Miranda need to be "boring"? Plenty of actors manage to play "good hearted" characters with a bit more life and interest.

and quite creepy and charismatic as Talia in "stabbing scene"
Charismatic? She just used the same, bland delivery throughout the movie. The script changed; she didn't.

Having an accent doesn't make a performance bad. :whatever:
Everyone "has an accent", so I don't know what you mean. The problem with Marion is that she is unable to alter her own native accent. This is an important skill that actors use to play different parts. She doesn't have it.

Of course Marion is far better actress than Katie Holmes. That's not even arguable.
I suppose you mean "deniable", but you are wrong in either case. Of course it is deniable. Besides, we are talking about Marion's (poor) performance in TDKR, vs Katie Holmes' (poor) performance in BB. You might think that Marion is a fine actress outside this movie, but if so she is inconsistent. Many of the comments she made around the time of her casting as Miranda hinted that she considered it to be an easy role she could perform without too much effort, and that it would be a gentle return to work after her pregnancy. I think that showed.

But in TDKR she had much better performance than Katie Holmes even though Rachel was a big part of the movie in BB.
Your opinion, not mine. I thought they were both mediocre at best and embarrassing at worst.

Saying she gave a better performance than Katie Holmes isn't saying much. It's like saying Nolan is a better director than Michael Bay.

Yes.

Why did Miranda need to be "boring"? Plenty of actors manage to play "good hearted" characters with a bit more life and interest.

Charismatic? She just used the same, bland delivery throughout the movie. The script changed; she didn't.

Everyone "has an accent", so I don't know what you mean. The problem with Marion is that she is unable to alter her own native accent. This is an important skill that actors use to play different parts. She doesn't have it.

I suppose you mean "deniable", but you are wrong in either case. Of course it is deniable. Besides, we are talking about Marion's (poor) performance in TDKR, vs Katie Holmes' (poor) performance in BB. You might think that Marion is a fine actress outside this movie, but if so she is inconsistent. Many of the comments she made around the time of her casting as Miranda hinted that she considered it to be an easy role she could perform without too much effort, and that it would be a gentle return to work after her pregnancy. I think that showed.

Your opinion, not mine. I thought they were both mediocre at best and embarrassing at worst.

Probably we watched different character if you think Miranda & Talia had same delivery. Also she is french, it's normal to have french accent. Michael Caine his own accent, Tom Hardy as well. They don't need to speak like an american.

I had no problem with her performance as Miranda, i liked the way she changed after revealing her trueself. Only thing bothers me her death scene.

Meh, she did fine as Miranda, and fine in the reveal. The only thing she did a terrible job of was that death scene.

A lot of people are taking out their frustrations on her inclusion of the story and the fact that she "robbed" Bane of his importance out on Cotillard IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"