Marvel vs Capcom 2 on XBLA and PSN

I don't know if it was, but I believe it was mentioned. Also, it wouldn't mean that the game is unplayable with said controller, just one controller is noticeable easier to use over the other. With 2D fighters most people generally agree that the PS3 controller is the lesser of two evils.

Iv spent plenty of time with both controllers, i can do the same thing with my 360's pad that i can with my PS3's pad. Altho i do like the PS3's analog sticks for fighters better than the 360's, but i use the D-Pad regardless. Maybe its just Street Fighter IV, i mean thats the only game i have played on both consoles extensively. Maybe Capcom made the controls with a larger margin for error, which is why i have zero problem with the 360's DPad?

Still, i wouldnt think that plus the frame issues at the select screen alone would be worth the score difference. Wasnt it you that was talking about IGN has a history of doing this when its not really warranted? I mean if all they are claiming is a few frame drops at the character select screen, well that must be some nasty ass frame drops.

Last edited:
Well, you tend to be on the minority on that one. Most people prefer the PS3's D-Pad to the 360's.

Still, i wouldnt think that plus the frame issues at the select screen alone would be worth the score difference. Wasnt it you that was talking about IGN has a history of doing this when its not really warranted? I mean if all they are claiming is a few frame drops at the character select screen, well that must be some nasty ass frame drops.

Yeah, it was me. In my post with the reviews I said to take it with a grain of salt

It is IGN, though, so take with a grain of salt, though it's not a gamebreaking difference

I agree though. It does seem like a little much for slow downs that don't effect the actual fight. In the review he said something about it hurts the version in tournaments, but that's hardly a reason to take off a whole 3 tenths of a point

Last edited:
Well, you tend to be on the minority on that one. Most people prefer the PS3's D-Pad to the 360's.

I'm thinking its more of a mental thing. I'm not saying the 360's is better but its not as vast a difference as some claim. I think the 360's pad, at some point, got branded as being horrid and ppl just kind of ran with it. Either that, or i just got the absolute best 360 d-pad on the market. I mean i was nervous at first when i bought SF IV cuz i felt the 360's pad was going to be awful the way everyone had said, well i didn't notice it. Compared it to the fight pad and i didn't feel the fight pad was worth the price as it wasn't that much better than the 360's pad, so i returned the fight pad. I then got to play SF IV using the PS3's pad and didn't feel there was that big of a difference. It was after that, i just figured there was this stigma on the 360's d-pad. Maybe I'm not a hardcore fighter fan or maybe i just suck so much with both controllers it doesn't matter what dpad i use, but i have never felt the 360's dpad was hindering my game when it comes to Street Fighter IV.

I don't know, I don't like the 360 d-pad personally. It feels too small and flimsy to me. I don't really like the PS3 controller much for fighters either though. That's why I ended up buying one of those special controllers for SFIV.

I don't know, I don't like the 360 d-pad personally. It feels too small and flimsy to me. I don't really like the PS3 controller much for fighters either though. That's why I ended up buying one of those special controllers for SFIV.

Yea, Street Fighter IV is the only fighter i own or care about playing(other than my DC version of MvC2) Guess im just not hardcore to notice the "poor quality" of the 360 dpad.

Those are really the only ones I play either, and I haven't played MVC2 regularly in a long time, probably around 5 or 6 years now

I'm thinking its more of a mental thing. I'm not saying the 360's is better but its not as vast a difference as some claim. I think the 360's pad, at some point, got branded as being horrid and ppl just kind of ran with it. Either that, or i just got the absolute best 360 d-pad on the market. I mean i was nervous at first when i bought SF IV cuz i felt the 360's pad was going to be awful the way everyone had said, well i didn't notice it. Compared it to the fight pad and i didn't feel the fight pad was worth the price as it wasn't that much better than the 360's pad, so i returned the fight pad. I then got to play SF IV using the PS3's pad and didn't feel there was that big of a difference. It was after that, i just figured there was this stigma on the 360's d-pad. Maybe I'm not a hardcore fighter fan or maybe i just suck so much with both controllers it doesn't matter what dpad i use, but i have never felt the 360's dpad was hindering my game when it comes to Street Fighter IV.
no its not a mental thing. The dpad on the 360 controller is too close to the face buttons to be effective in 2d fighters. The Sony design tends to be the favored setup even among many 360 users when it comes to those games

no its not a mental thing. The dpad on the 360 controller is too close to the face buttons to be effective in 2d fighters. The Sony design tends to be the favored setup even among many 360 users when it comes to those games

Im just not buying it. Like i said, there isnt a combo or move anyone can pull off in SF IV that i cant with my 360's dpad. If i were to complain about something with it, it sure as hell isnt its distance from the face buttons. I dont see how thats a problem at all.

Yeah, not really. I have both and prefer the 360's. It's classic, while the PS3tried something new and unfamiler. You can roll the right, right down, down thing much easier on the 360. Besides, do you even have a 360?

Yeah, not really. I have both and prefer the 360's. It's classic, while the PS3tried something new and unfamiler. You can roll the right, right down, down thing much easier on the 360. Besides, do you even have a 360?

Yea he owns both.

I dont really prefer one or the other when it comes to fighters, i just dont think the 360's pad is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Like i said i think its something ppl just kind of ran with.

Again, I have both and I certainly prefer my 360 d-pad over my PS3 d-pad.

Edit: Ok. Now we're on face buttons. If that's the case I do actually prefer the PS3 face buttons to the 360's. As far as the feel of them anyway. If we're talking about the names of them "A" "B" beat circle and square any day. I've always hated the shape based button layout. It seems so, goofy. Again, it was something new. We're used to the letter layout.

Yea he owns both.

I dont really prefer one or the other when it comes to fighters, i just dont think the 360's pad is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Like i said i think its something ppl just kind of ran with.

Nothing drives me crazier then when people beat up on a system just because they don't have it.

Nothing drives me crazier then when people beat up on a system just because they don't have it.

Haha, thats why i own both. If i feel like harping on either system, i have something to back it up.

Yeah, really. I'm not just running on steam, most reviewers and 'hardcore' fighting fans have noted this. This review mentioned and I believe IGN's review for SFIV also noted it (though I believe no actual points were docked).

Also, once again, no one is saying that the game is unplayable with the 360 d-pad as you guys are taking it. You can play it with both, but most people tend to have an easier time with the PS3 d-pad. It's not 'mental stigma' or anything of that matter. You guys don't have a problem with it, and that's fine, but a lot of others feel otherwise

Last edited:
you dont have to own a 360 to beat on the controller. I have one, use it and love it for my PC, but certain games, mainly 2D ones (more specifically fighters) , I simply dont think its all that great for. Im more likely to unplug it and stick in my Dualshock 2 for that stuff.

Teardrop said:
Yeah, really. I'm not just running on steam, most reviewers and 'hardcore' fighting fans have noted this. This review mentioned and I believe IGN's review for SFIV also noted it (though I believe no actual points were docked).

Also, once again, no one is saying that the game is unplayable with the 360 d-pad as you guys are taking it. You can play it with both, but most people tend to have an easier time with the PS3 d-pad. It's not 'mental stigma' or anything of that matter. You guys don't have a problem with it, and that's fine, but a lot of others feel otherwise
What he said. I completely agree

If it was that much easier with the PS3's pad, id notice it, which is why im sticking with the mental stigma thing.

Well, like I said, it's a preference thing. You have no problem using, and there's no real 'problem' with that or anything. I was just making a general blanket statement that I think you mistook

Well, like I said, it's a preference thing. You have no problem using, and there's no real 'problem' with that or anything. I was just making a general blanket statement that I think you mistook

Haha nah i get it. Like i said earlier, i dont think im a big enough fighter fan to notice a difference.

If it was that much easier with the PS3's pad, id notice it, which is why im sticking with the mental stigma thing.

Nah friend, I have to disagree.

Personally, I feel the 360 controller is the best controller ever made. But I have to agree about its D-Pad. It's simply not sufficient for fighters. I initially got SFIV for 360, but eventually traded for the PS3 version b/c I found it easier to pull off moves.

Just because you don't notice it does not mean it's simply a mental stigma. The general consensus by and far is that the 360 D-Pad is insufficient for fighting games. As such, it would be foolish to label the problem as something as simple as a biased mental state based solely on your own experience with it.

For example, that would be like me saying Ninja Gaiden is not hard, it's just that people are mentally predisposed to believing its hard. I say this because I find it easy.

^^^You see the problem with this logic?

The good news is I believe MS is coming out with a new version of its controller with a superior D-Pad. Once they do, I'd say the 360 controller is perfect IMO.

BTW, I'm just playing with you ProjectPat. I'm sure you understood my point well before I even typed it.

I just had to kill some time and thought I'd act like a smartass tee hee!:oldrazz:

:woot:

EDIT: Damn, all that work and I was beaten to the punch! Now I'm the one who looks like a fool. Oh the irony...

The good news is I believe MS is coming out with a new version of its controller with a superior D-Pad. Once they do, I'd say the 360 controller is perfect IMO.

I believe they did release a controller with an improved d-pad at one point, but for some reason is out of circulation now

I rented SF4 last week, and I finally kinda saw how specials and supers are unusually hard to pull off in my 360 controller. I can't honestly talk about the PS3, but here I pretty much gave up on the D-pad, and used the still unreliable joystick.

Well this sucks, I stayed up till 2am at this point waiting for MvC2 on XBLA and nothing. Going to bed now. Crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"