Mattchew's WIP thread...

Mattchew

Sidekick
Reaction score
So I dont want to post WIP pics in my main thread, so I'm gonna just make a WIP thread, cause I still want critiques (got this idea from KAD). Finals will only be posted in my main thread.

So please critique my WIP's as they're posted... but constructively, please.

Sticks and stones, and all of that...

So I'm gonna do a pic based on the faun, tree, and fairies in 'Pan's Labyrinth'...

As some have requested, I'm trying (and I realize this is a babyset) to inject a little depth into my pieces so they're not SO completely flat.

I tried just a bit with the pose to give a bit of depth between when the legs are planted. Not sure if its really all that successful. I also did three fairies (ones way back on the tree) to sell the distance, which is kinda cheating in a way but im new to this.

I think I'll be able to fool around with the environment to make the depth of it work, but we'll see.

Anyway, here is the sketch (looks a bit weird cause its made of 3 sketches photoshopped together)...

pans_01.jpg

Let me know what you think!

looking good, nice to see a little more life in your work. I think it's a really good place to start and look forward to seeing the final

I like your line work, very clean and bold, good composition also.
Adding shadow will automaticaly add more depth to the picture, this picture looks like it has depth even without any real shadow because of your perspective and the line work giong from think to thin to emphasis form. If your giong to add shadow I'd make sure the shadow links up or it can ruin an otherwise good picture.

oh yeah the other thing that can help with creating depth is varying your line weight. You have a pretty distinctive style and way of drawing but you might want to experiment a little with that.

hell yes, looks wicked. can't wait to see more. one thing: i'm not sure with just one twig of the tre overlapping with the moon... could work in the final piece but it confuses the outlines... just a thought.

oh yeah the other thing that can help with creating depth is varying your line weight. You have a pretty distinctive style and way of drawing but you might want to experiment a little with that.

I think I'm only gonna do outlines on things in the foreground... Let me know what you think of the line weight specifically when im done... id be interested in your comments.

hell yes, looks wicked. can't wait to see more. one thing: i'm not sure with just one twig of the tre overlapping with the moon... could work in the final piece but it confuses the outlines... just a thought.

im posting an update, shortly... let me know if its still and issue for you... i can always shift things around.

----------------------------------------------------

Here's a flat update... of the background:

pans_02.jpg

Shader version of the tree and sky shortly.

Work in progress.
Loving the shaded background Matt!

Thanks...

so here's an update with a shaded tree and background and the start of the foreground...

pans_03.jpg

id love to hear thoughts on the moon/tree silhouette issue, the saturation of color in the foreground and background... stuff like that.

I like how the light from the moon is filtering through the hole in the front of the tree. I didn't catch that in your initial sketch. It seems to give the tree some depth in my opinion.

So I'm gonna do a pic based on the faun, tree, and fairies in 'Pan's Labyrinth'...

As some have requested, I'm trying (and I realize this is a babyset) to inject a little depth into my pieces so they're not SO completely flat.

I tried just a bit with the pose to give a bit of depth between when the legs are planted. Not sure if its really all that successful. I also did three fairies (ones way back on the tree) to sell the distance, which is kinda cheating in a way but im new to this.

I think I'll be able to fool around with the environment to make the depth of it work, but we'll see.

Anyway, here is the sketch (looks a bit weird cause its made of 3 sketches photoshopped together)...

pans_01.jpg

Matt wikd cool

Looks like you've stepped onto another "plane" of excellence

thanks all... sorry spidey-dude. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------

update....

pans_04.jpg

before bed...

update:

the faun... temp colors, and no real detailing done.

pans_05.jpg

let me know what you think!

Always loved your art, the tree and moon already brings out the mood :up:

thanks all.....

update on the faun:

these are still temp colors... the shading is done, but it will end up with a much more cool feeling in the end to tie it into the setting. regardless, ...

pans_06.jpg

Matt

Seriously why aren't you in the industry great stuff

Thanks KAD!

Update:

Still very much a WIP... Added the shaded Faun in and the fairies with flat colors....

pans_07.jpg

Now I have to tweak colors to fit all the characters into the setting, shade the fairies, and and environmental stuff like haze and and shadows and stuff...

In the home stretch... I'll finish tomorrow.

im jealous of your coloring skills

Doing a picture of Poison Ivy falling...

Again trying to do stuff thats a bit more dynamic with more depth.

Here's the sketch:

falling_ivy_01.jpg

Let me know what you think.

LOVE the exaggerated perspective

have just been watching afro samurai on dvd which does that so well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"