Supergirl Melissa Benoist IS Supergirl/Kara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they determined by viewer votes or by a panel/ committee? Are the Saturn Awards more of a popularity contest or like the Golden Globes/ Oscars?

Anyway, well done to Melissa and Supergirl. Not sure I would've given Supergirl the award for best superhero adaptation for this past season.

Are they determined by viewer votes or by a panel/ committee? Are the Saturn Awards more of a popularity contest or like the Golden Globes/ Oscars?

Anyway, well done to Melissa and Supergirl. Not sure I would've given Supergirl the award for best superhero adaptation for this past season.

No, the Saturn Awards are not viewer votes...The awards are given by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films.

They are the Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror version of the Academy Awards/Emmy Awards, professional writers, film makers, and television producers. But instead they focus on specific genres of movies and television shows,
instead of doing like the Emmys do. Lumping a bunch of different shows like Better Call Saul, Homeland, and Game of Thrones all into one pile. So the Saturn Awards are more like comparing oranges to oranges. It's pretty well
known by people into science fiction.

From their website:
The Saturn Awards is the official award presentation voted by the members of the The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films. Our organization is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which was founded in 1972.
In the begining, the organization's focus was to honor and recognize the genres of science fiction, fantasy and horror films. As the Academy became established in the world of genre entertainment and the film entertainment industry,
the focus was broadened to include additional genres to the awards process. Additionally, we began voting awards of honor in the fields of television, home entertainment and, on occasion, live stage production.
The Saturn Awards is considered the premier organization in honoring and recognizing multi-genre entertainment. The event is annually supported and co-sponsored by the biggest and most successful talent and visionaries working in
the film and teleivison field today. The organization has been presenting awards for over four decades.
An annual awards show was produced which began in 1973 (one year after founding the Academy). The membership of the Academy grew to several hundred members and began officially creating blue ribbon panels to nominate
and vote these awards on an annual basis.
http://www.saturnawards.org/Saturn-Awards-History.php

Well, I guess the members did not agree with you.... :cwink:

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Good to see the lead actress and the show getting some accolades.

Especially given the competition Melissa Benoist had this year. Caitriona Balfe had won the previous two years for Outlander and one website felt she was going to be a sure thing to win a third year in a row.
Lena Headly killed it on Game of Thrones. One of her best seasons. And Winona Ryder has already won the Golden Globes and Satellite award for her role in Strange Things this year. I guess the Saturn Awards
look at who gave the better performance than just who is the biggest name or is in the most high profile TV series.

Yeah, that is not lightweight competition by any means.

Definitely not lightweight, and Agents of SHIELD had its best year this year.

Supergirl was weaker than some this season, which is why I'm surprised it managed to actually win.

Definitely not lightweight, and Agents of SHIELD had its best year this year.

Supergirl was weaker than some this season, which is why I'm surprised it managed to actually win.

I felt Arrow was the only real competition. Flash was terrible this season. I think with the Saturn Awards being more focused on science fiction that Supergirl gets the edge because of all the aliens roaming about National City,
interplanetary travel, Cadmus, and spaceships. From a science fiction point of view Supergirl definitely has the edge over shows like Arrow and Gotham.

Legion is the best show on that list by far, imo. But I'm happy for Supergirl's wins, especially Melissa's. She always puts in great work.

Oh I'm sure Melissa deserves the acting award. It's just the show award I'm not so sure about.

Something I'd really love to see next season is an alternate universe episode where Kara either tries to use the button or it accidently gets activated and malfunctions sending her plunging into a universe in which Kara is Power Girl (a tasteful high fashion style boob window included) and Kal is just a 15 year old boy in the care of Kara.

I'd rather have someone else play Power Girl.

I'd rather it not be someone else as Kara should still be immediatly recognizable as an alternate Kara and a new actress would not.

Congrats to Melissa but those Saturn Award results seem a little weird (i.e. skewing more towards the popular than the good). There's no way Supergirl deserved to win over either Agents of Shield or Legion and even then, Arrow and LOT had stronger more consistent seasons. Additionally, there's no way in hell that Thandie Newton loses anything to Candice Patton (she's fine, but Newton is great).

I am glad Melissa won.:mnm:

Though I like Lena Headey (but, I didn't like Game of Thrones; what I saw of it) and I have heard Sarah Paulson is good. (In People vs. OJ? It's her isn't it? I have not seen it; heard it's good.)

So, against these folks, it feels even better. Anyways, Melissa is great actress.

I thought this is the same as the one where you have to tweet your choice. But from the description Osiris-Rex (King Osiris?) gave, I guess not; which is great.

I am glad Melissa won.:mnm:

Though I like Lena Headey (but, I didn't like Game of Thrones; what I saw of it) and I have heard Sarah Paulson is good. (In People vs. OJ? It's her isn't it? I have not seen it; heard it's good.)

So, against these folks, it feels even better. Anyways, Melissa is great actress.

One thing is Melissa gets to display a greater range of acting skills. Both comedy and drama. In a single episode Kara can go from being giddy and goofy to dead serious to heartbroken. Where-as with the
other actresses for the most part their characters are pretty much fixed in the range of emotions they can display. I don't recall Lena Headey being adorkable very much in Game of Thrones. People tend
to give more weight to drama than comedy, but sometimes a good comedic performance is harder to pull off convincingly.

Something I'd really love to see next season is an alternate universe episode where Kara either tries to use the button or it accidently gets activated and malfunctions sending her plunging into a universe in which Kara is Power Girl (a tasteful high fashion style boob window included) and Kal is just a 15 year old boy in the care of Kara.

I would love that! Though I don't know if I would rather Melissa playing dual roles, or if it should be another actress. She could certainly pull it off, and it would be great to see how things would have played out for her and Kal.

If they did do it with another actress however, it can be explained as something similar to Flashpoint. Barry created Flashpoint and suddenly Diggle has a son rather than a daughter.

Events playing out differently in another universe could mean Kara being a few years younger or even a few years older, which the latter would suit Power Girl as she has always been an older version. And a little more... ahum... endowed...

Is there an actress out there who is like an older and bustier version of Melissa?

Nevermind....

2db2dqs.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"