Dark of the Moon Michael Bay has killed Transformers for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever you want to call it , it was a change in alt modes.

Not much different then a foot ball player putting on padding.

Padding, armor...it's still more protection

And look what it took to accomplish that feet, one guy that to kill himself.

It doesn't negate the fact that these Transformers are capable of improving their bodies.

Either way, "upgrading their robot modes" doesnt seem to be an every day thing for them.

It may not be common but none of the Autobots acted like it was unheard of.

We'll see.

Indeed.

Padding, armor...it's still more protection

True, but really wouldnt address the issues you speak of, not to mention they might interfere with transformation.

It doesn't negate the fact that these Transformers are capable of improving their bodies.

Again, thre really isint any evidence his body was improved.

Jets fires parts gave him some new abilities, much like a good pair of running shoes can improve my running.

Either way, "upgrading their robot modes" doesnt seem to be an every day thing for them.
It may not be common but none of the Autobots acted like it was unheard of..

And none acted like it was well known either.

Call it bad writting if you like but they just seemed to do it by ear with out explain a thing.

That's the thing. A bunch of scrap metal with legs is just as ridiculous as boxes stacked on top of each other. No one can really say what was/is best suited for live action since there has never been a G1ish live action movie.

Actually I only accidently said "200 million" because that's the number you brought up and the one I was referring to, not because I wanted to "throw out a high number" (nice try tho).

I didn't say it was the best way, I said "I think" the current designs were the best way. No one can really say what was the best way, but we're certaintly allowed to state our opinions (ie. I think).

Watchmen is harder to adapt than G1 Transformers.

Much harder.

All you need for a decent G1 adaptation are G1 designs, G1 characterizations, a memorable plot, and no goofy/potty humor.

There's no reason that wouldn't appeal to a wide audience if the action scenes are impressive.
And if that was the movie that was made, my wife, daughter, father, or my best friend's wife would have gone to see it. And they all would have poked fun and my and my best friend for going to see it 4-5 times. Lost ticket sales is bad for business. This is why they made the movie for the average movie going audience, more ticket sales.

For God's sake people, Bay is not solely responsible for the movieverse Transformers we've gotten. Hasbro, the creators of G1, are also to blame, so are Spielberg, Paramount and Dreamworks. You can also go ahead and blame the masses. The average moviegoer has a hand in this as well. If the studios thought for one second that they could rake in the dollars the have for the last two films with the G1 adaptation most fanboys want, they would have made that, but they did not have faith in the fanboys to pack the seats in the theaters and generate over $1 billion dollars, and frankly, neither do I. Bottom line, you can all sit here and b**** and moan about what a horrible person Michael Bay is for raping your childhood dream of seeing G1 one the big screen, or you can try to find something constructive to do, because all most of you are doing is spinning your wheels.

Jet-Prime was crap if you ask me. Prime just got some heels, a jetpack and a gun and suddenly he could take on everyone. Not only did it look ugly but it made no sense whatsoever other than the fact that he was now able to fly, as if he didnt travel though the universe to get to earth.

Anyway, i like my Prime red, blue and undiluted. All that black crap make him look like the silly Batman toys, like red-claw batman, ice-attack batman, stingray-Batman, etc. I just want a black/grey batman damn it!

In my opinion "Jet Prime" was the single coolest thing in the Transformers franchise so far, and I actually enjoy the Transformers films.

And if that was the movie that was made, my wife, daughter, father, or my best friend's wife would have gone to see it. And they all would have poked fun and my and my best friend for going to see it 4-5 times. Lost ticket sales is bad for business. This is why they made the movie for the average movie going audience, more ticket sales.

For God's sake people, Bay is not solely responsible for the movieverse Transformers we've gotten. Hasbro, the creators of G1, are also to blame, so are Spielberg, Paramount and Dreamworks. You can also go ahead and blame the masses. The average moviegoer has a hand in this as well. If the studios thought for one second that they could rake in the dollars the have for the last two films with the G1 adaptation most fanboys want, they would have made that, but they did not have faith in the fanboys to pack the seats in the theaters and generate over $1 billion dollars, and frankly, neither do I. Bottom line, you can all sit here and b**** and moan about what a horrible person Michael Bay is for raping your childhood dream of seeing G1 one the big screen, or you can try to find something constructive to do, because all most of you are doing is spinning your wheels.

It takes me 15 seconds to post my hopes for a better Transformers movie. You act as if I spend every waking moment debating these movies. AS a life long G1 fan I owe it to myself to be critical of a TF movie that doesn't measure up.

Hell, you probably spend even more time defending and blindly cheerleading Micheal Bay movies. Aren't there more constructive ways to use YOUR time or do you prefer being a complete hypocrite,?

No reason to get butt hurt because G1 fans expect G1 movies.

What do you expect a fan to do? Forget and ignore what made us fans in the first place while Bay groupies blindly praise the subpar movies? Why on Earth would we do that right when Bay said he's done with the franchise. Seems like the perfect time to discuss what's missing from the movies.

No reason to get butt hurt because G1 fans expect G1 movies.
That's a dumb expectation from a brand that has survived and thrived by NOT rehashing the G1 cartoon.

Why would they do a movie about a brand that died in 1989 when the series has produced more popular and more financially successful toylines and fictions since then? You're definitely allowed to like G1 all you'd like and pray to the G1 Gods for a live action treatment, but what would you tell the Schumacher Batman fans out there who want Nolan to go that route? Nolan has proven to be financially successful, ignore his critical success for a moment, and simply compare them to the previous films on consumer demand. Bayformers, Armada, and Beast Wars have been huge financial successes. They may owe a lot of their success to G1 in the same way The Long Halloween and Batman: The Animated Series owes it's success to Bob Kane's Bat-Man and Adam West's show, but because the former were more successful commercially you'd expect them to inform Nolan a whole lot more. Transformers is a very large and diverse group of toys and fiction, Michael Bay and Hasbro consider more than just a small portion of it when making a movie or a new show.

Last edited:
Good grief, this thread sure is volatile.

It takes me 15 seconds to post my hopes for a better Transformers movie. You act as if I spend every waking moment debating these movies. AS a life long G1 fan I owe it to myself to be critical of a TF movie that doesn't measure up.

Hell, you probably spend even more time defendoing and blindly cheerleading Micheal Bay movies. Aren't there more constructive ways to use YOUR time or do you prefer being a complete hypocrite,?

Call me a realist. It gets aggravating when fanboys do nothing but complain about he movies Hollywood makes because the films are not what THAT fanboy think it should be. I can completely grasp the concept that movies are an artist's adaptation of the source material.

Good grief, this thread sure is volatile.
Well I just think it's fanboy whining for the most part. It'd be one thing if Hasbro had been continuing the G1 brand (in something other than comics) for the last 27 years. Then the movies Michael Bay did would be some huge departure from the established fiction. In reality though, they are not, no moreso than the Armada Trilogy, Animated or Beast Machines...or the unproduced Transtech. Bay was simply followed the proven strategy of rebooting and tinkering with the franchise to produce some repackaged Transformers brand. I've been happy with it, although the second installment left much to be desired.

It's one thing, in my opinion, to dislike Bay's films. It's another thing to claim he did something wrong. First of all, I doubt anyone in this thread really cares that they were not critical successes. There are plenty of G1 fans who love Transformers: The Movie despite that fact that it was less successful, both critically and financially, than BOTH Michael Bay films. Despite the fact that when Orson Welles was asked about it he said he played "big toy who attacks a bunch of smaller toys", and was embarassed to be part of the film.

The reality is, it seems, that many who criticize Bay simply want a G1 movie that would probably be just as stupid, if not moreso. I hear that Bay didn't "elevate the fiction", but in fact he did in a big way. Transformers made a lot of money, and even continued to do so in the wake of bad press. Michael Bay made a movie that had a broader appeal and was more popular than the previous installments. That's definitely an elevation of the fiction.

Call me a realist. It gets aggravating when fanboys do nothing but complain about he movies Hollywood makes because the films are not what THAT fanboy think it should be. I can completely grasp the concept that movies are an artist's adaptation of the source material.
Same. I wouldn't be as aggravated if this was the Watchmen thread and we were dealing with something that was fairly concrete. This is Transformers; a fiction that has made all of it's money from rebooting and do-overs, generally ones that pissed off the fanbase at the time.

Jet-Prime was crap if you ask me. Prime just got some heels, a jetpack and a gun and suddenly he could take on everyone. Not only did it look ugly but it made no sense whatsoever other than the fact that he was now able to fly, as if he didnt travel though the universe to get to earth.

Anyway, i like my Prime red, blue and undiluted. All that black crap make him look like the silly Batman toys, like red-claw batman, ice-attack batman, stingray-Batman, etc. I just want a black/grey batman damn it!

Considering what Hasbro has been doing with it's property in recent years
[YT]WrAgn6D-GuU[/YT]
[YT]DJHMrUcjn88[/YT]
I'd say Dreamworks didn't do to badly with what they were given. I'd actually say it was pretty cool.
[YT]m2v9XwRWtvs[/YT]
moreover I'd rather have the black complimentary than a bunch of other colors like in the anime scene above.

G1 wasn't that great anyways...I don't know why people seriously hold onto that as their lifeline to this franchise. It was just another cheesy, childish, over simplified cartoon for kids to watch on Saturday morning. I love Spider-Man but I cannot watch a single episode of the saturday morning cartoon anymore. Jesus it was terrible. Same for X-Men. It's just people holding onto their childhood. If those were made into movies they would suck donkey balls. Just looking at the character designs of the G1 series is laughable to what Bay has produced. Sure these movies could be better but G1 isn't exactly an indicator of quality itself.

huh? excuse me, i dont think so.... ..yeah i guess i shouldn't expect you to respond back to me sense i'm quoting you and vice versa....*shrug shoulders* i dont think that's what i was getting at -at all.

And with that, you can now stop questioning why I post as often as I seem to. And here I thought you said you didn't like sarcasm.

yea on your batman and robin thing..i'll just leaving that alone, you're again bring in way too many examples on this topic; is not that complex. again i really dont know how clear it can be said...obviously there was issues with the 2nd film, m.bay hisself said there was..

Sorry if that's too many examples for you but it has to be said. Since you like quoting bay so much, tell me where he said anything about how tasteless this film was.

I agree it was silly, I too hope there is more tonal consistency in the new film.

what ever makes u sleep at night buddy have at it.

ouch, let's keep it cool here friend, I wouldn't want anyone to get accused of being too sensitive about all this.

:doh: really man...really??? i said "contorversial", now i need to address exactly what tone of controversy i meant for you to understand?? really???:wow:

No, you just need to be clear. Like you said yourself the word has many meanings.

Hey if my mother heard that I was watching controversial movies, what would she say...:csad:

look bro, if this is the case, then i suggest you go to that critic's house and argue with him why he felt that robots balls were offensive and the little chinese man in "the hangover" wasn't offensive to him..ok? I never onces said they were racist, i said they were tastless....and it would matter cuz you dont put robot balls in CLEAR view of your audience in a 80s cartoon....or any cartoon for that matter. on less it was meant for mature audiences only...

I agree, balls belong in movies like "Something About Marry" I in fact never saw a pair of balls in the transformers movies.

I can look outside my office at the construction site this very moment and see about six more pairs of wrecking balls..should I be offended?
(that's the difference between silly and tastless btw)

:wow: who cares what their exact words were..they didnt like the robots, and so did others...why they didnt, doesn't matter....and they are taken out of the movie or at least tone down...bottom line....

Ok here's pretty much the only part I feel addressing with any seriousness.
I get that "alot" of people don't like the movies, haters and normal people alike. That works for me, What doesn't work for me is when people cry RACISM and OFFENSIVE MATERIAL when really the film just doesn't work for them.

You don't have to try and convince the world that it's something it's not to get them to hate it too.
If you don't like it just say so...."bottom line"

ok i'm done now with going back n forth with you..i was trying to be cool and respectful but it's like you wanna keep going to no end with this issue...(and yes we both have the right to respond to each other) but it comes a point where you stop.

As long as people bring up things I disagree with, I'll keep addressing them.
"It helps me sleep at night...":yay:

bro...

G1 wasn't that great anyways...I don't know why people seriously hold onto that as their lifeline to this franchise. It was just another cheesy, childish, over simplified cartoon for kids to watch on Saturday morning. I love Spider-Man but I cannot watch a single episode of the saturday morning cartoon anymore. Jesus it was terrible. Same for X-Men. It's just people holding onto their childhood. If those were made into movies they would suck donkey balls. Just looking at the character designs of the G1 series is laughable to what Bay has produced. Sure these movies could be better but G1 isn't exactly an indicator of quality itself.
Agreed on all counts. Comics and cartoons are a childish medium by and large, and [most of] the pleas for more quality movies are usually hand in hand with fanboy complaints about a lack of comic accuracy.

I think the other thing people refuse to budge on is that Transformers will always be silly, regardless of who is "elevating" the fiction. Like you said about the designs, which are a clear improvement by any metric, are lumped together with the tasteless ball jokes as an afront to an otherwise stellar franchise.

I'm reminded of this review I read of Watchmen. The reviewer didn't like it and remarked "it made me wonder whether the comic was really that good to begin with". I loved Snyder's Watchmen with very few misgivings, but what I took from this was the writer essentially thought the book was better (big surprise, you hear that a lot). Simply put, maybe for him it did not translate well to film. I think I'd make the same observation for Bay's Transformers. In the setting of a cartoon things may seem a little better than they actually are because the medium is different. The designs are a prime example. The cartoon Prime(s) always looked good to me, but you have to consider the setting of the cartoon and what that allows for.

I'm still wondering why people are under the delusion that there was ever any intention of a G1 movie in the first place. When the live action movie was pitched, and later announced at no time did Hasbro, Kutzman, Orzi or Bay indicate that it would be a G1 movie. Or in this case a G1 cartoon movie (because at this point which "G1" would you follow, they're all very different).

And yet, I've said it multiple times, but apparently it bears repeating: This is no different than what has happened every time the fiction has been rebooted. When Beast Wars came out it was "Truk not Munkee". When RiD came out many falsely assumed it was tying the Beast Wars and G1 cartoon together before it aired. Many falsely assumed Armada and Animated were going to tie into G1 somehow, and they didn't. I remember posting on the message boards when these shows were rumors and there was always this G1 purist contingent that thought the franchise would be revived and someone work off the pre-established cartoon.

I think the reason for this is G1 is unfinished as a cartoon. The Marvel comic doesn't beg for a continuation because the writers got to write a ending for it, twice. Both Beast Wars and the sequel Beast Machines ended very firmly. G1, on the other hand, ended with Galvatron swearing revenge and a whole host of new toys left unexplored. That's the problem though, it's a toyline first and foremost, and Hasbro isn't going to dedicate fiction to discontinued toys unless it's a small market item like a comic series.

Maybe you watched different movie from what I did.

The one I saw had him kicking all kinds of ass in the forrest before he was killed. Then he was revived with with a very weak spark, so Jetfire not only gave him a new spark but a bit of an upgrade also, which resulted in Prime Flying (that was the only way to get to the pyramid) and then kicking all kinds of ass over again.

Maybe you watched different movie from what I did.

The one I saw had him kicking all kinds of ass in the forrest before he was killed. Then he was revived with with a very weak spark, so Jetfire not only gave him a new spark but a bit of an upgrade also, which resulted in Prime Flying (that was the only way to get to the pyramid) and then kicking all kinds of ass over again.

Seems like you saw a different film, at no time did Jetfire give Optimus his spark.

He pulled out his own spark, telling Optimus to use his body, and died.

Never giving Prime his spark.

Actually I only accidently said "200 million" because that's the number you brought up and the one I was referring to, not because I wanted to "throw out a high number" (nice try tho).

I said "I" as in "me" (nogap87) just threw out a number. I never once implied that you did.

I didn't say it was the best way, I said "I think" the current designs were the best way. No one can really say what was the best way, but we're certaintly allowed to state our opinions (ie. I think).

I never said you couldn't.

Seems like you saw a different film, at no time did Jetfire give Optimus his spark.

He pulled out his own spark, telling Optimus to use his body, and died.

Never giving Prime his spark.

As assumption I was apparently wrong on, although it can be debated he got the energy from Jetfire's spark transferred into Prime like a heart transplant for a robot.

Regardless, he has a history of kicking ass on screen, it didn't happen all of a sudden and he wouldn't have been able to get up to the pyramid and fight without the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"