Transformers Negatron: Discussion Thread for those that hate the way this movie is heading

I'm f*ucking ashamed to be a TF fan because of the way this movie is turning out.

Yes, BAY MUST BE STOPPED, NO MATTER THE COST!! :cmad:

Hey lets make a Transformers movie because it's popular then destroy all the details that made it popular in the first place! :huh:

It's sad that this is the best they could come up with for Transformers. In this day and age of LOTR, HP, KK, POC and the SM films, you'd think their vision for this film could have been a lot more sophisticated. This film is essentially aiming for the lowest common denominator for summer films; cliches and big explosions.

ILM will be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

If they named this crap Go Bots no one would care about the changes. But they wanted to do a popualr franchise to exploit it's phenomenal popularity and cash in.

Ok you want to get rich off the Transformers name, fine! But why butcher the iconic characters? Why?

If they named this crap Go Bots no one would care about the changes. But they wanted to do a popualr franchise to exploit it's phenomenal popularity and cash in.

If they did, everything would actually make sense.

Like Lips of the Dog said, this movie has been a series of ups and downs for me. More downs than ups.

The excitement for the first announcement of the movie was unbelievable. Spielberg with Dreamworks announcing at Comic-con was great too with a covered red flat-nosed semi being icing on the cake. Hearing Bay announced as Director was sort of scary at first but I knew he would bring the visuals and the excitement that a Transformer movie needed.

Then the bad showed up...Bay and co. really wanted to make everything different. I can handle BB being a Camaro...those early pictures of him actually had me really hyped up. But then everything just kept coming with zero to little resemblence to ANY previous incarnation. Where was the resemblence to secure the old fans as well as garner new ones? I don't think it would've been so hard to come up with new designs that have enough resemblence to previous incarnations to maintain nostalgia. But oh well...things were not meant to be so with Bay and Co.

The script...I have not read it. I do not want to. But I have heard enough negative aspects of it to dread the dumbing down of an already simplistic story. I have said it many times before that there is enough Transformers history to really have an epic scip-fi franchise that could rival Star Wars and Star Trek. They just needed to respect the material and goto the proper people for guidance like Shadowboxing said...not stupid fan based polls like the "Decide what Optimus Says" poll where the majority of people wanted him to say, "Do a barrell roll"...c'mon people.

To everyone who STILL thinks that people who don't like this movie want exact translations of G1...ONCE AGAIN this has never been said by anyone that I can recall. I don't EVER rememeber reading someone who said, "This movie is going to suck because it is not set in the 80s and does not look exactly like Generation 1". Seriously...who would want that? I just wanted something that would bring the nostalgia along with opening new fanbases. Why sacrifice one for the other when with enough vision you could have both?

I haven't spiled this movie for myself but man, I see alot of unhappy fans.

I've never really gotten into Transformers but they're alright, all I know is I feel sorry for thefans if this movie is as bad as I've heard.

I am so tired of filmmakers screwing up people's heroes.:cmad: :trans:

If I don't like it at least I can watch the old cartoon movie. That was cool.:heart:

I haven't spiled this movie for myself but man, I see alot of unhappy fans.

I've never really gotten into Transformers but they're alright, all I know is I feel sorry for thefans if this movie is as bad as I've heard.

I am so tired of filmmakers screwing up people's heroes.:cmad: :trans:

If I don't like it at least I can watch the old cartoon movie. That was cool.:heart:

Changing and adapting a franchise for a movie is A-OK (and often necessary) if it's done with love and respect (X-Men, Spider-man). I'm a big fan and I loved (loved!) those movies (X3 not so much). No complaints.

But, changes for the sake of change and utter disrespect for the source leads to movies like Godzilla 98. Dean Devlin (the writer and producer) even said he sat to watch all the Japanese Godzilla movies (good and bad) and had to turn them off... he couldn't take it. This is a 50 year franchise with millions of worldwide fans (me included :woot: ). He couldn't take it? Why is he making this movie???

Same goes for Transformers. Everyone charged with this project (director, producer, and writers) have repeatedly shown disdain for the source with quotes along the lines like: the original is a long toy commercial, BLOCKY? Who wants blocky? We're changing the story to fix plot holes because they wont work (the writers said this in an interview... apparently referring to The Ark, 4 millions years in the past thing, and natural resources/energy subject--- which was the crux of the Transformers story).

Yeah, I really really hope to be surprised. I can deal with this movie not being like the Transformers movie I've always envisioned. But right now it seems like NOTHING AT ALL WHATSOEVER Transformers. Nothing. Just "Giant F***ing Robots" as Michael Bay emblazened on his set t-shirts.

At least have the decency to call this movie Bayformers. That way other studios can consider doing a real Transformers movie.

Bay is screwing our chances of ever seeing a genuine Transformers movie by wasting the the Transformers title for this crap.

i never saw so much hate when the studio showed some desgines from a comic movie.

ohhhhhhh wait a minute i have. superman returns. made 200 milions domestic. and i still think that the action is what makes money. and since this is spielberg. i expect a lot of money.

i never saw so much hate when the studio showed some desgines from a comic movie.

ohhhhhhh wait a minute i have. superman returns. made 200 milions domestic. and i still think that the action is what makes money. and since this is spielberg. i expect a lot of money.

For a movie that cost 270 million I think everyone was expecting it to do better (near Spider-man's $1 billion). Still, Supes made $400 million total... that's not bad. I liked it... but, I understand the fans complaints and I don't disagree.

At least Superman Returns was made with love. Transformers.... ugh.... just the whole vibe from the director to the producer just makes me ill.

I can understand when people complain about the Transformer designs, but I never understood how people could complain to such an extend over the SR costume. Even I had to raise an eyebrow several times.

I can understand when people complain about the Transformer designs, but I never understood how people could complain to such an extend over the SR costume. Even I had to raise an eyebrow several times.

Yeah. I dont get it. I mean what was soooo wrong with it? I thought it was a nice homage to the old (1930? 40's?) Superman TV show costume.

At least they didnt make the blue and red into a FLAME pattern. :cwink:

Superman Returns...wow...that's a whole bag of poo poo that people stepped all over. Singer's approach to the whole thing was well intentioned and very apparent that it wasn't just for the money (since it didn't make that much). But those intentions weren't what the general audience and most fans wanted. He paid homage to the original Donner movie but not really to almost 70 years of Superman.

Now the costume is a whole different story. Sooo many issues. The minor design changes wouldn't have mattered to much to me though if they had made the suit complimentary to Brandon Rouths physique. The suit actually made him look leaner than he actually was. The tight fitting collar and really low cut waistline made him look really slim more than bulky. Other than that I didn't have an issue with the \S/, color and all that jazz.

Bay is not paying homage to anything as far as I can see. He threw us Cullen to appease us and shut us up a little bit. They've changed Optimus from his initial designs and that is great (if the Empire cover is an accurate pic). But other than that...I don't see anything to really look forward to as far as a Transformers movie is concerned. Sure, there's going to be great action and it will look beautiful with giant robots transforming...but its really a reimagining of G1.

I look forward to the release but I will try to keep my expectations low.

if there is no fighting between the robots than someone will die.

I'm too lazy to surf around on alot of the other TF sites, but is the Hype the only site that seems to have mass hatred for what we've seen so far? Or is the displease with the designs basically universal among the majority of the fanbase?

I'm too lazy to surf around on alot of the other TF sites, but is the Hype the only site that seems to have mass hatred for what we've seen so far? Or is the displease with the designs basically universal among the majority of the fanbase?

I've been pretty much a lurker everywhere but here (Seibertron, etc). At one point the amount of "hatred" was big... overwhelming... except for a few rabbid (and vocal) "stooges" over at Don Murphy's boards (which Don has meticulously cleaned up of dissenters). Many of the folks have just "given up" and stopped caring (I know I did for a while until the leaked pics of prime surfaced).

Nowadays, the Murphy and ShootForTheEdit (Bay) forums have weeded out almost everyone... even well-spoken level-headed folks. One badly worded post and it's "See Ya."

As for any "sudden positivity?" It's not beyond Don Murphy to "seed" forums. The guy is a shady character (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,289436,00.html) and he seems to have been personally obsessed with reigning in the community.

He can't touch the Hype tho.

^That's the vibe i got when i visited the Murphy boards several months ago; haven't been back since.

The negetive attitude for this film is actually spreading like wildfire, most people i've spoken to that are not even following this film closely are aware of how Bay has butchered it.

I really do wish he'd just give up and they could start from scratch with a new director, but thats not going to happen and i'm going to have to sit through the movie knowing how much better it could have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"