Negatron: Discussion Thread for those that hate the way this movie is heading

Discussion in 'Transformers' started by Hunter Rider, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zanos Registered

I think if comic book films have proven anything it's that if you write a decent story it doesn't matter how badly you butcher the main character(s). So if Bay makes a decent or even great film but strips away anything that could possible be called Transformers everyone here will be singing his praises and the new Transformers movie.

2. ShadowBoxing Registered

In a way I agree with thise, but you're decent story in some way must surpass the source material to achieve this.

Example: Blade. Follows the storyline almost INO, but made a character and storyline that was far superior to the original and in fact altered the characters in the comic to fit it as a result.

3. blind_fury Registered

I can't think of many instances where hollywood elevated the source material.

4. zanos Registered

Better examples are Spider-man, X-Men, Batman89 because these had huge established fanbases.

5. CFlash Registered

Hmmm. Well, I think the realistic "sci-fi" route that X-Men took was genius and definately elevated the material while still being completely inspired by it....

I mean the *central* theme of X-Men the comic is alive and well in the movie (prejudice, oppression, & intolerance). The central theme of Transformers is not alive and well in this movie. :csad:

6. cryptic name No Limits

too bad the Bayformers story is cliche and stupid.

7. OptimusPrimeRib Registered

Oblivously we can not pass final judgment on the story, because none of us have actually seen the film. If even half of what we think we know is correct this story is not going to surpass the source material. With a concept like Blade you can go hog-wild because no one really cared about Blade to begin with. TF on the other hand has a huge fan base who care deeply about these characters. Spider-man and X-men stayed true to their roots and that's why they did so well.

8. CFlash Registered

This thread makes the Optimist thread look weak.

So, I'll put a positive spin in here: I watched Men In Black the other day, and I can't believe the guy that did that movie also did the craptastic Wild Wild West. It's like two totally different directors. What happened?

Well, Steven Spielberg Exec Produced one, and not the other!

(this is really a dig on Michael Bay's talent as a filmmaker)

9. Alchemyst July 2017

Like you said X-Men and Spider-man stayed true to their roots due to the fact that they both were done by directors that knew about the history and cared about the actual characters. Michael Bay on the other hand is pretty much back-handing all of the fans in tha face with the overall designs and his take on the TF. To me, he is treating it like just another summer action film. Im pretty much gonna keep tha expectations low and wait for the movie to come out and hopefully I'll be pleasantly suprised but until then...........

10. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

I'm just wondering.

What would you guys prefer:

1) A TF movie where we get the designs we've seen, yet the story is 100% faithful to the G1 comic and/or cartoon...?

or

2)We get the greatest designs any fan could ask for, yet the story is the one Bay is now delivering and/or contains very little G1 elements..?

11. Alchemyst July 2017

A TF movie where we get the designs we've seen, yet the story is 100% faithful to the G1 comic and/or cartoon

Some designs can be tolerated.

12. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

I'd prefer option 2. The designs would help me tolerate a different story.

13. nosebleed. Registered

Can I get a number 1 with curly fries.

14. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

So the story is the issue with you guys not the designs... :confused:

Well those that haven't read the script still have a problem with the movie as a whole....

15. nosebleed. Registered

To tell you the truth, I haven't read the script. But as bad as some of these designs are...if they maintain the essence of Transformers then I can live with them. I was ALWAYS worried that this might turn out to be War of the Worlds with transforming mindless robots. If we get that then call this movie a POS IMO.

As far as the designs, it has always been my opinion that if the production is not afraid to drastically change the designs...what else are they not afraid of drastically changing? So the design changes go hand in hand with the changes in mythology/story/etc. That's why I really fear the drastic design changes.

16. zanos Registered

You can't have a 100% faithful adaptation/story without the right designs.

17. nosebleed. Registered

Howso? Well, I guess you have a point with the alt-modes (BB, Megatron) but the others would work as their alt-modes weren't essential to the story (Ironhide).

18. OptimusPrimeRib Registered

That's a tough one. Story is very important, but personally I'm a very visual person. So option 2 I guess. I'm not so wrapped up in their appearance that I would just go with any storyline just as so they look good. I mean if they had perfect looking TF's but made them piloted by human or something like that I would be out.

19. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Now that would be wwwaaayyyy to much of a change for any TF fan to tolerate

20. nosebleed. Registered

Well, that's the original idea behind Diaclones.

21. Spade Seeking new challengers

Unless massive changes have been made to the dialogue, the Transformers actually having personalities will be compromised by the inane Bay logic of having human interaction cut into the film abruptly. The Decepticons are so lacking in personality that Soundwave is now an entirely different character and Blackout was renamed at least 3 times for good measure. And as for him 'getting the looks right'?

[​IMG]

I thought that at the very least Prime would look like Prime. Bay can't even get Prime right. How you watch the '84 cartoon and come out still not knowing what Prime looks like is beyond me. If I were a more vicious person I'd say Bay's IQ is seriously lacking, but since it's already been shown that this was all about making toys I'm not surprised at all. The only thing I'm looking forward to on this release date is the morbid possibility that Cullen is given some good lines to work with. I'm one of the few people who thinks Megan Fox should do more than be eyecandy in this sordid excuse for a production, so not even the leading lady (which I don't see the need for in a G1 Transformers film) interests me. I'm getting REALLY tired of supposedly-beautiful people finding themselves in productions like this just because a studio chairman wants them to.

You know, I'm sort of glad this thread was made. I've tried to be an optimist on this, but after learning that this is a film that is helmed by the next Jon Peters my optimism was spent. It's nice to vent every once in a while.

22. Alchemyst July 2017

Damn Optimus' face reminds me of Johnny 5

23. Spade Seeking new challengers

You should go to the All Pictures Thread and look at the Bumblebee render made for Toy Fair. It looks like something straight out of The Shining.

24. Alchemyst July 2017

lololololol I was thinking the same thing. priceless

25. nosebleed. Registered

It seems to me, with the shots we've seen, that with all the "realism" they're trying to put into this movie that the Transformers look more like mindless robots than ever. The only one with any semblance of a personality is *gasp* Megatron. And that's because they gave him humanoid facial features. The two main heroes who we've seen good CGI of look devoid of any expression or ability to show emotion.