Negatron: Discussion Thread for those that hate the way this movie is heading

Discussion in 'Transformers' started by Hunter Rider, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Just because he has history of doing good movies (which i agree with) doesn't excuse him from butchering the designs of toys that he 'claim' he used to play with. If anything he should know better. He has more pull and influence in Hollywood than Bay, and probably the entire board of directors at Dreamworks, combined. But instead, he let the present designs go forward....he could have snapped his fingers, and they would have changed them..but he didn't. He O.K'd them. :confused:

The Speilburg name has much weight, and weilds great power in Hollywood. 'If' he wanted to use it, he could have.:csad:

2. nosebleed. Registered

Think the Spielberg name could've gotten Cameron?

3. blind_fury Registered

If either Bay or Speilberg were G1 purist the characters and story would've been far closer to the source material.

Instead we get chickenstarscream searching for the magic glasses.

4. Shockdingo Symbiote luvin' loon

wha?! MAGIC glasses? :( please please tell me you're kidding, I'm still behind on some spoilers...

5. blind_fury Registered

It's like the matrix of leadership except it's in the form of bifocals. :whatever:

6. Shockdingo Symbiote luvin' loon

Ha....hahahahahahahahahahahaha oh that's actually kind of funny. Now I must fufil the wants, hopes and dreams of the magic pixies....oh yes...there will be blood...and cake too! :dry:

.....ahem...aside from my madness I have a question...are they human sized bifocals? And why by the flabby, cellulite filled booty of Unicron is the matrix a reading aid???

7. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Don't be alarmed about the glasses. For those that haven't read the script, the significance of the glasses in the movie is quite clever.

8. Headless Knight Registered

Here is a guy who is currently preparing to direct two movies in 2008, with one already announced for 2009.

Along with the ones he directs, he's usually producing like ten movies at the same time. Imagine how much time and thought he gives each one of these.

Come on people. You all know what "executive producer" really stands for.

9. ixtraker Registered

finally..........a Thread Where I Can Feel Free Of Speaking My Mind! thank God I'm Not The Only One Hopping For A Miracle Come Underway

10. ixtraker Registered

.............Why a "chicken legged" starscream?, why does optimus prime have glasses?, why outnumbered autobots?, why a freaking decepticon with no face on him?, why the gay flames?, where's optimus prime's trailer?, WHY THE HELL throwing the whole arc and origin of the transformers to the garbage?, why does bumblebee look like a mix between "short-circuit" and "Mc & me", what the %$·" is an allspark?, why if is a freaking transformers movie...the hymans are more important, why couldn´t at least ironhide be red?, why Tyresse?, why the $&""! can't bumblebee speak normally?, why the "mecha" look?, why megatron looks like a "can openning" gone wrong?.........just to mention a few by now.

Gosh!...................they're so many that i can't even put in order!

11. cryptic name No Limits

it's horrifying how accurate this is...:csad:

12. CFlash Registered

No, it isn't. It's freakin stupid.

13. CFlash Registered

I disagree 100%. Movies that Steven Spielberg execs almost always have HIS vibe imprinted. Perfect case in point: Compare Barry Sonnenfeld's Men In Black with his next movie Wild Wild West. One has an unmistakable "Steven Spielberg" quality and the other doesn't. There are many other examples.

14. Headless Knight Registered

That's because several directors try to emulate his style (especially if they are hired by a studio that tells them to do exactly that), not because Steven Spielberg is there on the set telling people what to do.

And Mr. Sonnenfeld is a director whose skills depend heavily on screenplay and cast. That's why Wild Wild West sucks and Adams Family Values is by far his best film. It has nothing to do with Mr. Spielberg's involvement.

Actually, I don't think MIB has "an unmistakable 'Steven Spielberg' quality" to it at all. It's mostly that B-Movie/space opera/comic book expansiveness/cheesiness that's almost opposite to Spielberg's usual approach. The only similarity are the roller-coster-ride-type action scenes, but that's the norm in Hollywood. Everybody does it. Even Bay.

15. cryptic name No Limits

are you familiar with the story behind Tobe Hooper's film Poltergeist? if not, look into it, it's a perfect picture of the way Spielberg involves himself in the projects he exec produces

16. Headless Knight Registered

Poltergeist was produced and written by him. It's a completely different story.

17. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Within the context of dragging Spike into the war ,it works. Yes i hate the script. And yes, it's not the movie i want but as far as bringing in Spikes family into the war, i say it works...

18. blind_fury Registered

Um, there were thousands of ways to bring Sam into the war without using glasses.

19. CFlash Registered

Hmmm. You might be right. I don't know.

Alls I know is that I'll often watch a movie and I'll say... "did Steven Spielberg direct that?" Only to find out he didnt... he only exec produced it. "Batteries not Included," "Arachnaphobia"... and one of my personal favorite movies of All Time: "Joe vs the Volcano." And of course, Animaniacs! One of the best cartoons ever IMO. :woot:

And, yeah, Poltergeist is the prime example... ppossibly for the reasons you noted... but also possibly because he directed several scenes in it (he has admitted to directing at least one scene I think).

I even watched Balto several months ago (my daughter looovvves that movie) and I swore it was Steven Spielberg (it wasn't... he just exec produced it).

And, I don't think the "screenplay" for Wild Wild West was bad (in terms of story). I just think it was badly directed and badly made. At its heart it was no worse than Raiders of the Lost Ark. It just wasn't *made* well. i.e. Barry Sonnenfeld isn't as talented as Steven Spielberg.

20. Boiiinng Demigod

Well, I'll play angel's advocate here and say there weren't any good ones. In fact, if the Transformers didn't need to find a map to the Allspark in the first place, they wouldn't need Spike at all and they'd have no reason to befriend anyone on Earth for that matter.

21. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Name ten then.

22. DOG LIPS El Señor Presidente

1. eBay.

...Oh wait. :csad:

23. 360sculptguy Registered

I think its kind of funny that the original designs were discarded as being too blocky. The cartoon characters were blocky because of the blocky nature of the toys. I think the new optimus toy is every bit as chunky as the old design and yet it still looks a fair bit like their "sophisticated" movie version we've been seeing. Well with that logic you would think they could've just as easily reversed things and made the original blocky toy design look a bit more sophisticated on screen without completely losing the look of the original characters. Inevitably, a dozen people probably had their say in these designs. Any time you do this it ends up looking like a generic mish mash of ideas.

24. CFlash Registered

There's Tranformers blocky. Then there's also Manga smooth and round robots. Then there's Johnny Five crappola with exposed parts and wires and spikes sticking out for no reason.

We got the last one in this movie.

25. 360sculptguy Registered

All the exposed vulnerabilities are just, umm, whats... the word? Dumb. Yeah, thats it.