Nine most racist Disney characters ever

And out of all the slaves that became educated through a family member of the owner's family that sympathized with the slaves, none of them said "you know, now that I know that whites and blacks are the same except for skin color, and that there is no justification for slavery, I'd rather stay a slave than be free"

actually, my point is NOT "mute" by any stretch of the imagination.
because you see, you just cited two examples of cartoon's made in the 90's, song of the south is considerably older.
Mulan happens strictly between Asian cultures, so just like there are Villians there are heroes, I completely fail to see how this makes the whole "an apache's skin is red because he is embarrassed" thing less racist.

:huh: really? wow, seems you have your finger right on the pulse of racial relations in the US ( specially were it pertains to Cartoons) I don't know were you got this Idea but hey, you know what?
roll with it, I know you can't fathom why on earth people would get offended about a portrayal of a happy submissive slave being talked down to by white children, but I guess you're probably not that old, or at least I hope you're not.

ok, whoa!
you have kids.
now I'm depressed.
but here's what you're still not getting.
this is a listing of things Disney did in the past, if you can't see the fact that Mickey gets a african in the mail and he is a stereotypical cartoon of the time ( inspired by black face) well, guess what? you're blind.
if you can't perhaps see the whole Peter Pan "red man" thing as racist.
good for you.
however, the fact that I recognized Disney's awesomely funny racism in the past doesn't mean that I think they are being racist now.
what part of that are you people NOT getting.
seriously, is that sooooo hard to understand.
the fact that black people don't have to go to the back of a public bus today doesn't mean that in the 50's things were different get it?
do you honestly think daily life in the US didn't permeate into cartoons of the time?

:huh:

you can't be that dense.
and as far as the "Princess and The Frog" is concerned, I don't really care, I don't see how it affects the past unless it's some new technology Disney's been developing in secret.
they froze Walt's head so I wouldn't put it past them.

umm dude... i never once said i didnt find the #1 reason on the list racist...

Wow! Just friggin wow! You truly have no bloody clue as to what you just said.

When you have no rights or freedom, it's impossible to be treated fair and just because YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS.

Also no matter how "well" slaves were treated they were NOT educated within the slave system. Most slaves didn't know they were treated like trained dogs because it literally did not dawn on them that they had individual freedom. If a slave wanted to read, open up their own business with their skills, farm their own land. The answer was a resounding NO.

This is true with ALL caste systems, feudal systems, and slavery all over the world. As for segregation being any different...um hello RECONSTRUCTION meant very little change in the economic situation of former slaves because of the lack of education allowed before.

Segregation was reversed because all was NOT separate but equal. Black people were still treated like non-persons with no rights, kinda like slaves but with meager salaries for a handful of jobs that they were allowed to have. Just like apartied.

The one category that can be said was that disenfranchised minorities have had an unfair ridiculously stereotyped image, one that's been "on sale" from companies like Disney for ages.

For further info, Maddy was changed to Tiana because Maddy was a common SLAVE name. That would have been shying away from the common "we made several oppsies in the past" attitude Disney now has.

Spiderboy, may I suggest you study Black History (espcially Black American History) before you post again. Sure opinions are appreciated, but what you said has no basis in the actual history.

o lordy :whatever: im stating a SMALL portion man.. im not making a statement on ALL of slavery... God do people jump to conclusions. i was merely stating it was incorrect to say EVERY slave was unhappy

but then, I'm not only talking about the number 1 reason am I?

but then, I'm not only talking about the number 1 reason am I?

no, your not... and im not either... there 2 things on there i find very racist and degrading towards African Americans... which would be the #1, and the Fantasia scene... i was absolutely shocked by the Fantasia thing. The Third to a lesser extent would be the Indians from peter pan... and the reason i mean lesser is because in all honesty they weren't treated like villains nor were they treated as animals, infact tiger lilly was very beautiful in the film. They were treated as a good thing. Kids to this day love playing as cow boys and Indians ... hell i use to love pretending i was a native american as a child. Thats the way things were depicted

btw i don't have kids.. i was giving a what if..

and trust me, i know what it feels like to be stereotyped... im gay. But im also not easily offended. In fact theres a chance i might find a stereotypical gay white guy cartoon hysterical... but doe you know what the truth is? The truth is the heterosexual Caucasian male and female are boring compared to all these races and cultures that they "make fun of" and why is that? because lets face it.. being Caucasian, i find us boring, and other then making us look like nazi's theres hardly anything to even characterize us with... and i find it incredibly lame that people spent years poking fun at soooo many more interesting cultures, while ours is quite boring.

hell i would love to see a white cartoon character drawn my all these other races that poked fun at us... id laugh right along with them

o lordy :whatever: im stating a SMALL portion man.. im not making a statement on ALL of slavery... God do people jump to conclusions. i was merely stating it was incorrect to say EVERY slave was unhappy

A small portion, REALLY?! Where, hmm? Show me where slaves ate at the master's table, rode his horses, and was happy to show up to work every morning with absolutely no monetary compensation.

I don't think you realize how dumb that statement is. I agree with Sparkle, while your at show me a happy abused wife, or children happy to be molested.

I did not jump to a conclusion you didn't make. It's safe to say that no man can carry a baby (because of lack of girlie parts) than its equally safe to assume that no slave was happy as a slave because of the lack of education to realize that they should not and didn't have to be a slave.

As for the Disney thing, the only reason why I believe Disney is making a serious effort to appease minorities because of the sorry image it has at the fairly untapped market.

Look at the difference between Tiger Lily and Pochantas. It's going to be the same leap from Centaur girl to Tiana. We can't really compare the Caucasian lead females because non really had a negative racial stereotype to begin with. Now if you want to compare negative FEMALE stereotypes, then yea, that's a whole new argument.

A small portion, REALLY?! Where, hmm? Show me where slaves ate at the master's table, rode his horses, and was happy to show up to work every morning with absolutely no monetary compensation.

I don't think you realize how dumb that statement is. I agree with Sparkle, while your at show me a happy abused wife, or children happy to be molested.

I did not jump to a conclusion you didn't make. It's safe to say that no man can carry a baby (because of lack of girlie parts) than its equally safe to assume that no slave was happy as a slave because of the lack of education to realize that they should not and didn't have to be a slave.

As for the Disney thing, the only reason why I believe Disney is making a serious effort to appease minorities because of the sorry image it has at the fairly untapped market.

Look at the difference between Tiger Lily and Pochantas. It's going to be the same leap from Centaur girl to Tiana. We can't really compare the Caucasian lead females because non really had a negative racial stereotype to begin with. Now if you want to compare negative FEMALE stereotypes, then yea, that's a whole new argument.

1) i never said they were treated equal... but I've read on accounts (sorry i don't have the info right off the top of my head, im not a walking encyclopedia. But i've read of accounts were SOME, not many, slaves were actually treated well... never said they were treated equal though.

2) Lack of education plays a big part... as to weather knowing they were happy or not... but you also must remember there were plenty of uneducated white people in the south as well. Also... i never once said that the reason they were content was "because they didn't know better" i just said they were content, so stop shoving words in my mouth...

3) ill agree theres leaps and bounds in changes... and thats due to how society has changed... what is deemed hugely racist today, is not so back then. With that aside the past is in the past... people arnt going to start picturing blacks in black face again, yellow buck tooth asians, or red skinned native americans. So i don't feel like people TODAY should be affended by something that was made decades ago, when the world was much different. Be offened by todays stuff... not yesterdays.

4) also.. why do you think Disney has waited so long to finally make a black princess? when blacks have one of the highest race populations? when we have had asian, middle eastern, and native american cultures represented first? I dunno... maybe it has to do with the fact that No matter what they do no matter how hard they try, someone is always going to find it racist.

there probably aren't too many black female princess stories to work with. most of the movies they've done are based on fables and fairy tales.

there probably aren't too many black female princess stories to work with. most of the movies they've done are based on fables and fairy tales.

which is true as well.. but at the same time they changed a few locations (making beauty and the beast in the french country side) and making the little mermaid... well i'll assume spain due to the slight tropical feel. With the Princess and the Frog there taking a classic story, and changing the location, and time period as well as the race... which they could have easily done a long time ago as well...

You're making this really easy.

1) i never said they were treated equal... but I've read on accounts (sorry i don't have the info right off the top of my head, im not a walking encyclopedia. But i've read of accounts were SOME, not many, slaves were actually treated well... never said they were treated equal though.
Gee, you think that those might have anything to do with the propaganda campaign Slave owners were using to calm down the abolishment's furor at the animalistic treatment the slaves were really getting. Again, do some real Black History research.

2) Lack of education plays a big part... as to weather knowing they were happy or not... but you also must remember there were plenty of uneducated white people in the south as well. Also... i never once said that the reason they were content was "because they didn't know better" i just said they were content, so stop shoving words in my mouth...
Uneducated white people in the south had options, you want to know why, cause they had rights and weren't slaves. Granted those options weren't often great choosing between family and a skilled job or school, but it was better than life of slavery or death by beating, lynching or dogs.

3) ill agree theres leaps and bounds in changes... and thats due to how society has changed... what is deemed hugely racist today, is not so back then. With that aside the past is in the past... people arnt going to start picturing blacks in black face again, yellow buck tooth asians, or red skinned native americans. So i don't feel like people TODAY should be affended by something that was made decades ago, when the world was much different. Be offened by todays stuff... not yesterdays.
"Today's stuff" has absolutely nothing to do with "yesterday's stuff." Phew, all is well.
Good then, because it was bad then we should totally forget it ever happened. Poof! Gone from reality forever. Like magic. :whatever:

4) also.. why do you think Disney has waited so long to finally make a black princess? when blacks have one of the highest race populations? when we have had asian, middle eastern, and native american cultures represented first? I dunno... maybe it has to do with the fact that No matter what they do no matter how hard they try, someone is always going to find it racist.
Why did Disney wait so long. Um Gee lets see, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that nearly every image of a black person made by Disney has a god-awful embrassing sterotype to it. Centaur Girl, Jim Crow and his friends, the annoying ghetto Muses, Uncle Remus...it's like the entire company didn't even try to make something that people wouldn't be aghast by. You must be young, cause you didn't mention how many articles interviews and upset groups of people who campaigned against Mulan, Jasmine, and Pochantas.

Disney is not trusted by minorities to represent them in an animated form because they've missed the mark for so long. Black people tend to REALLY mistrust Disney because of the past images that ENFORCED sterotypes. So if you think that people are just going to be la-di-da about Tiana...you are out of your very young mind.

I've had this discussion with you before about how Black People are portrayed in the media, and the message of enforcing a negative sterotype still hasn't gotten through. I have no idea why.

You're making this really easy.

Gee, you think that those might have anything to do with the propaganda campaign Slave owners were using to calm down the abolishment's furor at the animalistic treatment the slaves were really getting. Again, do some real Black History research.

Uneducated white people in the south had options, you want to know why, cause they had rights and weren't slaves. Granted those options weren't often great choosing between family and a skilled job or school, but it was better than life of slavery or death by beating, lynching or dogs.

"Today's stuff" has absolutely nothing to do with "yesterday's stuff." Phew, all is well.
Good then, because it was bad then we should totally forget it ever happened. Poof! Gone from reality forever. Like magic. :whatever:

Why did Disney wait so long. Um Gee lets see, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that nearly every image of a black person made by Disney has a god-awful embrassing sterotype to it. Centaur Girl, Jim Crow and his friends, the annoying ghetto Muses, Uncle Remus...it's like the entire company didn't even try to make something that people wouldn't be aghast by. You must be young, cause you didn't mention how many articles interviews and upset groups of people who campaigned against Mulan, Jasmine, and Pochantas.

Disney is not trusted by minorities to represent them in an animated form because they've missed the mark for so long. Black people tend to REALLY mistrust Disney because of the past images that ENFORCED sterotypes. So if you think that people are just going to be la-di-da about Tiana...you are out of your very young mind.

I've had this discussion with you before about how Black People are portrayed in the media, and the message of enforcing a negative sterotype still hasn't gotten through. I have no idea why.

1) possibly but i think it's foolish to say NO one was happy, educated or not. After all... these people were from tribes in africa, sold to the highest bidder... as well as generation after generation... they didnt know better. But to say none were content? which is all i stated.... i didnt say they were honky dory and treated as if nothing was different, so stop treating me like i did.

2) i never said forget... just dont treat the past stuff as if it were todays

3) the annoying ghetto muses? my god... the muses were amazing... are you sure your not just offended to easily? i mean for gods sake they were muses that song gospel style... theres not a god damn thing wrong with that... are they saying every black person is like that? no. my god, talk about having a chip on your shoulder and being uptight.

4) do you know why so many people are up in arms about races.. because THERE FRIGGIN CARTOONS... and ARE NOT, NOR EVER drawn 100% realistic... things are emphasized, eye shape, skin tone, features that are common in that group... thats what a character is.. its the same god damn thing that happens when you go to an amusement park and get a drawing of yourself as a cartoon. Hell White people have been doing it to themselves even since animation even started. It's fun, thats all it is... hell Mulan even did a better job with ancient culture then even half of anime does today... yet no one is in arms about it because it's done mostly by that culture. AND its not Disney... people love to slap an "innocent" for kids popular media with an adult theme.. why? because they love to see popular and innocent fall.. just like the media is all over celebs that fall. People like to see those who are on top... FALL, they like scandle.

[YT]UgGkabYW1Mk[/YT]

This is WB, not Disney, but it was still made back in that timeframe. Granted, it was well done, but still.

[YT]UgGkabYW1Mk[/YT]

This is WB, not Disney, but it was still made back in that timeframe. Granted, it was well done, but still.

lol i find that awsome actually (from an animation background) but ya... i think its hard for us as hell to pictures something like that happening to day...

Bob Clampett was always an animation genius, and made this as somewhat of a parody of the cutesy Disney stuff that had been released lately.

Bob Clampett was always an animation genius, and made this as somewhat of a parody of the cutesy Disney stuff that had been released lately.

ya, Tex Avery pushed alot of buttons the same way

[YT]UgGkabYW1Mk[/YT]

Wow....I haven't seen that one in a long time and my jaw was just hanging open from beginning 'til end...:eek:

A somewhat less offensive (but only somewhat) Warner Bros character was the cute little native Inki, who always hunted an elusive Minah bird through several of his cartoons. By far my favorite when I was a kid was "Caveman Inki", thanks to the dinosaurs of course...

You must be young, cause you didn't mention how many articles interviews and upset groups of people who campaigned against Mulan, Jasmine, and Pochantas.

Oh hell...people complained about Belle in Beauty and the Beast for choosing the Beast after he gave her a library. Enchanted spends the entire movie making fun of how simple all the white princesses have been in choosing to marry. People complain that The Little Mermaid has a happy ending, instead of the original Hans Christian Anderson ending where she commits suicide. People b***h that The Lion King is just a ripoff on Hamlet. The list could go on and on and on...

The early complaints about The Princess and the Frog were no different. The name change from Maddy to Tiana I could understand. But they had to change the title from The Frog Princess because people complained that it was an insult to the French. People also complained that Tiana was a servant to rich southern woman. Hello? Last time I checked, Cinderella started out as a maid too.

I've watched tons of Disney and WB cartoons from the 30s and 40s, and they have come a long way. Thankfully, we never see things like Pluto in blackface anymore. To constantly hold that over the head of any studio whenever they try to do something new is only holding any kind of progress back. They all did it, the best we can all do is go foward smarter and wiser than we were before.

Oh hell...people complained about Belle in Beauty and the Beast for choosing the Beast after he gave her a library. Enchanted spends the entire movie making fun of how simple all the white princesses have been in choosing to marry. People complain that The Little Mermaid has a happy ending, instead of the original Hans Christian Anderson ending where she commits suicide. People b***h that The Lion King is just a ripoff on Hamlet. The list could go on and on and on...

The early complaints about The Princess and the Frog were no different. The name change from Maddy to Tiana I could understand. But they had to change the title from The Frog Princess because people complained that it was an insult to the French. People also complained that Tiana was a servant to rich southern woman. Hello? Last time I checked, Cinderella started out as a maid too.

I've watched tons of Disney and WB cartoons from the 30s and 40s, and they have come a long way. Thankfully, we never see things like Pluto in blackface anymore. To constantly hold that over the head of any studio whenever they try to do something new is only holding any kind of progress back. They all did it, the best we can all do is go foward smarter and wiser than we were before.

finally someone who see's things clearly

1) possibly but i think it's foolish to say NO one was happy, educated or not. After all... these people were from tribes in africa, sold to the highest bidder... as well as generation after generation... they didnt know better. But to say none were content? which is all i stated.... i didnt say they were honky dory and treated as if nothing was different, so stop treating me like i did.
What is wrong with you? If slaves were so happy, then why is it that the culture to arise immediately from the institution of slavery is so insulted and enraged at the idea that it happened. You seem to have this idea in your head that what your saying isn't sounding like what's actually being communicated. If people where content as they were, THEN WHY FIGHT FOR CHANGE?

2) i never said forget... just dont treat the past stuff as if it were todays
Again, see my last statement above. If people hadn't fought against the negative and INSULTING images then they'd still be there. I can't even begin to clarify that more. Think about it in sequential order.

3) the annoying ghetto muses? my god... the muses were amazing... are you sure your not just offended to easily? i mean for gods sake they were muses that song gospel style... theres not a god damn thing wrong with that... are they saying every black person is like that? no. my god, talk about having a chip on your shoulder and being uptight.
Lol, I'm not the one getting upset here. But if you think that people took the stereotypical attitudinal black trio with a smile and a giggle, then once again you are wrong. I never mentioned the style of music. I could chalk it up to another stereotype and totally unnecessary, but you're already getting touchy. Just because I don't take what's given to me by a media conglomerate laying down, doesn't mean I have a chip on my shoulder. I will say this one more time, things won't change by themselves. People have to change them. Without this demand, Tiger-lily, Buck tooth Asain cat parodies, and Nappy Headed Centaurs only to happy to serve would STILL be the norm. They didn't change by themselves.

4) do you know why so many people are up in arms about races.. because THERE FRIGGIN CARTOONS... and ARE NOT, NOR EVER drawn 100% realistic... things are emphasized, eye shape, skin tone, features that are common in that group... thats what a character is.. its the same god damn thing that happens when you go to an amusement park and get a drawing of yourself as a cartoon. Hell White people have been doing it to themselves even since animation even started. It's fun, thats all it is... hell Mulan even did a better job with ancient culture then even half of anime does today... yet no one is in arms about it because it's done mostly by that culture. AND its not Disney... people love to slap an "innocent" for kids popular media with an adult theme.. why? because they love to see popular and innocent fall.. just like the media is all over celebs that fall. People like to see those who are on top... FALL, they like scandle.
Again, your youth is peaking through with this statement. They are not just cartoons. These are characters and images that children imitate and look up to. So yes, it does matter. Same reason why Barbie's friends took a turn for diversity in the late 80's. How many times have children said "why doesn't so-n-so have any friends that look like me." Of course I'm steering away from the near constant Black-Best-Friend issue.

And you use Mulan as an example...how many people do you think scratched their heads in confusion with Eddie Murphy as Mushu with his often obvious Baptist preacher parody humor.

There's a distinct difference between a character, a caricature, and a horrible unfunny joke. Disney has been dancing in between the lines for years. Hopefully with Tiana, Disney will get the image of a Black woman right enough to not leave a sour taste in people's mouths. It took 80 years for a black Disney Heroine because people refuse to settle, which in this case is a good thing.

If you want "Nappy" the toilet cleaner and cook from New Orleans for the next character, then uh...good luck with that.

What is wrong with you? If slaves were so happy, then why is it that the culture to arise immediately from the institution of slavery is so insulted and enraged at the idea that it happened. You seem to have this idea in your head that what your saying isn't sounding like what's actually being communicated. If people where content as they were, THEN WHY FIGHT FOR CHANGE?

Again, see my last statement above. If people hadn't fought against the negative and INSULTING images then they'd still be there. I can't even begin to clarify that more. Think about it in sequential order.

Lol, I'm not the one getting upset here. But if you think that people took the stereotypical attitudinal black trio with a smile and a giggle, then once again you are wrong. I never mentioned the style of music. I could chalk it up to another stereotype and totally unnecessary, but you're already getting touchy. Just because I don't take what's given to me by a media conglomerate laying down, doesn't mean I have a chip on my shoulder. I will say this one more time, things won't change by themselves. People have to change them. Without this demand, Tiger-lily, Buck tooth Asain cat parodies, and Nappy Headed Centaurs only to happy to serve would STILL be the norm. They didn't change by themselves.

Again, your youth is peaking through with this statement. They are not just cartoons. These are characters and images that children imitate and look up to. So yes, it does matter. Same reason why Barbie's friends took a turn for diversity in the late 80's. How many times have children said "why doesn't so-n-so have any friends that look like me." Of course I'm steering away from the near constant Black-Best-Friend issue.

And you use Mulan as an example...how many people do you think scratched their heads in confusion with Eddie Murphy as Mushu with his often obvious Baptist preacher parody humor.

There's a distinct difference between a character, a caricature, and a horrible unfunny joke. Disney has been dancing in between the lines for years. Hopefully with Tiana, Disney will get the image of a Black woman right enough to not leave a sour taste in people's mouths. It took 80 years for a black Disney Heroine because people refuse to settle, which in this case is a good thing.

If you want "Nappy" the toilet cleaner and cook from New Orleans for the next character, then uh...good luck with that.

my youth? your a whole 3 years older.. and your sOOOO twisting things.. my god... you act as if im supporting these images. My god do you have issues...

and im just leaving it at that

You know I'd agree with you on the whole mocking the "meet-n-marry" theme in Disney, but the writers totally let it happen in the end with Idina's character.

I'm not saying we should hold it against them, but the change didn't happen over night. The writers and animators didn't just wake up and say, "hey this isn't funny any more and it's kinda cruel as well." Nope, they got sanctioned by the government and had public demands to measure up to.

Change in entertainment has to be fought for, just as much as change in other areas too. If people just lay back and accept what's given to them, how are things going to get better? Someone has to question it.

Speaking of the female image of Disney, why did they make a big point in Shrek to make fun of it all. It's one of the most successful parodies I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"