The Dark Knight Rises OFFICIAL: Batman in New York - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, that Tate and Lucius are casually talking in a building that houses Mercs...

Last edited:
Batman 'Rises' in Newark

It's not every day you see celebrities Morgan Freeman and Marion Cotillard wandering around Newark City Hall.

But that's because it wasn't business as usual Thursday: The city's epicenter was turned into what appeared to be a mock infirmary and ghetto, with cots lining the hallways and people dressed as vagrants, starting fires and wielding machine guns.

The scene was like something out of a movie — a Batman movie.

"The Dark Knight Rises," the third installment of the Caped Crusader franchise, started filming Thursday in downtown Newark for the first of its two-day shoot.

Warner Bros. has been mum about the action flick since Newark Mayor Cory Booker tweeted in May that he met with the film's producer.

Officials with the entertainment giant did not return calls Wednesday seeking comment.

On Thursday, film crews and white movie trucks dotted Broad, Greene and Franklin streets outside city hall.

Inside the building, though, was the action.

The ceiling lights in city hall were off, while bright — almost blinding lights — illuminated sections of the hallways.

On the basement floor, the entrance to city hall, there were little signs of a movie filming, except for camera wires and security personnel.

On the first floor, in the rotunda, wooden chairs were set up in rows, facing west, towards the front of the building. Very few people were seen in that area.

On the second floor, crews had set up a makeshift first-aid area, surrounded by cots.

On the third floor, Freeman and Cotillard were seen filming a scene. Freeman, who plays Lucius Fox, was sitting on a chair in the hallway, while Cotillard, who plays Miranda Tate, was two feet away, leaning against a rail, overlooking the second floor. Freeman wore a black suit with a purple shirt. Cotillard was in a blue shirt with black pants.

There was no sign of Christian Bale, who plays Batman.

Dozens of extras were seen on every floor, wearing ragged sweaters, trench coats and vests. Some carried fake weapons.

Film crews also were seen on every floor, prepping extras or waiting for a shoot. The workers wore nametags that read "Magnus Rex," the code name given to "The Dark Knight Rises" by movie executives.

During the filming, residents were not forbidden from city hall, but they were cautioned about inconveniences.

A letter given to people who entered the building warned of "contained fires" and loud noises, including simulated explosions and gun shots.

Amanda Soll, a Warner Bros. spokeswoman on site, declined to say what scene was being filmed inside city hall.

Full article:
http://livingston.patch.com/articles/batman-rises-in-newark

Man the scope of this film is incredible.

Weird, that Tate and Lucius are casually talking in a building that houses Mercs...

I don't think they know. Maybe the mercenaries took over a WE building?

I just got back from the set at city hall in Newark. All of the filming was done inside but I got to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt, the mercenary extras ,and Christopher Nolan when they came out for lunch. My cousin and I asked Joseph Gordon Levitt for a picture but he told us he can't take pictures while he's working and continued to walk across the street in the parking lot where all the trailers where. I got to see Nolan when he came out of the Prudential Center where the extras were being held. I was talking outside the building to two extras dressed as mercenaries and ask if Christian Bale was around which he wasn't when Nolan walked out the door behind me. I tried to catch up to him to ask him for a picture but he got in a Cadillac parked outside and drove off. It was pretty awesome to see these guys in person. Too bad I couldn't get any pictures with them though. Tomorrow they will be filming at Raymond blvd, hopefully I get another chance then. I would have stuck around longer but the cast and crew all went back in city hall after lunch and there wouldn't be nothing to see till the shoot was done or next break. Hope tomorrow I can see more and post some pictures.

Joseph Gordon Levitt on the left
CityHallshoot-1.jpg

The black Cadillac Nolan got in from the Prudential Center
IMAG0329.jpg

Back of Gordan's trailer
CityHallshoot2.jpg

Mercenary extras
CityHallshoot3.jpg

Sorry I didn't take more pics. I really wanted a pic with Nolan but I couldn't catch him in time before he reached the car he got in. I saw Joseph Gordon Levitt twice, leaving for lunch and returning. The second time he caught me off guard walking past me in the first pic. He actually looked at me as if he expected me to take a picture of him but I felt awkward stopping to take my camera out do so and kept walking and got a back shot of him.

Well, maybe Tatelia is trying to strike an alliance with Batman to take back the League from Bane.

That looks like a League of Shadows guard rail.

are they holding the extras hostage?

So I ninja'd my way around for a solid four or five hours today. All I got were some pics of WB filming trucks for 'Subconscious Productions' and a bunch of time talking to some extras going into city hall. EVERYTHING was interiors, with airtight security. I did rattle a PA for some questions, as well as a teamster I spotted on my way home, but they were of no real help.

Two friends of mine saw JGL on his way into set, and since my friend and his pregnant GF were both wearing batman sweatshirts- Joe hollered 'nice shirts'. Pretty much the highlight of the day. I got interviewed by two girls doing a Rutgers college project. Nothing too exciting, hopefully tomorrow reaps more reward- I'm going with my brother who works in the movie industry and has a plethora of connections.

Oh, and I also ran into Morgan Freeman's stand-in like 5 times, and each time I double taked because I really thought it was him.

I'll keep you guys informed...

Is the riot scene filming tomorrow during the day, or is it going to be a night shoot?

Cant believe theres only a handful of days of filming left. It flew by.

Museum was in London. That's where the (masked) museum ball happened.

Gotham as a city seems to be a big focus in this one. Me like.

Joe is getting some serious screen time. He might even have more screen time that Oldman.
I hope Gary does get more screetime than in TDK. I would hate if he got less screentime while wasted more than a half year shooting Batman that doesnt allow him to make other movies... :csad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"