Penny Dreadful - Part 1

Hard not to root for a guy when he's being hen pecked and strongarmed by a pack of crazy *****es. I wanted to see him burn his house down with the whole crazy lot of em inside.

Plus he's got style and had awesome parties. What's not to like

Ugh. Why???? This just reminded how much I hated the ending of PD. :argh:

Showtime can go straight to hell. They cancel Penny Dreadful and force it to rush to half ass wrap everything up in a single season and now they pull this ****. :wall:

Right?! Like WTF?!

I wouldn't say the last season, but definitely at least the last few episodes. I don't know if Logan got mad that they asked him to work with others or if it was the network, but someone clearly killed it late in development. How characters, both old and new, are suddenly handled reeks of it. There is no way Perdita Weeks character wasn't be setup for season 4. Vanessa's fate goes completely against even early season 3.

Plus Lyle’s travels to Egypt feels like a set-up to something. Ugh. Thinking about the awesome possibilities for S4 when they haven’t screwed the ending yet is just making me mad again. Plus I’m reminded again of how Sembene died so Ethan can fulfill his destiny to protect Vanessa only for it to end like that.

And they had Ethan spend 80% of the season dealing with his father and in America. I just dont believe they'd have had Ethan that far away from Vanessa that long and doing that if they'd known from the start that season 3 was the last.

And they had Ethan spend 80% of the season dealing with his father and in America. I just dont believe they'd have had Ethan that far away from Vanessa that long and doing that if they'd known from the start that season 3 was the last.

Right?! I think they only reunited at like the last episode. :(

Can't say I'm looking forward to this spin off. As others have said the let down of that obvious rushed ending still annoys. Would hate to get invested in another show and they pull the same stunt a few seasons in.

Also, half the fun with Penny Dreadful was incorporating all those classic gothic horror characters. Who is this thing bringing to the table?

Can't say I'm looking forward to this spin off. As others have said the let down of that obvious rushed ending still annoys. Would hate to get invested in another show and they pull the same stunt a few seasons in.

Also, half the fun with Penny Dreadful was incorporating all those classic gothic horror characters. Who is this thing bringing to the table?

Thankfully the gothic horror characters are immortal or close enough to have them in any time period. Only the ones that died in Penny Dreadful cant be used in this spinoff. Tho even they can be resurrected since this show involves magic and cosmic forces.

Dorian's story can definitely continue. Hed fit right in in LA. The Creature can make a return in some capacity. Lily could return. Dracula is no doubt still plotting some type of world domination. No being that evil gives up just because one plan failed. Ethan may be back in America by the 1930s. The Invisible Man can be used. The Creature From the Blsck Lagoon can be in the show. They could also introduce American folklore creatures.

Hard not to root for a guy when he's being hen pecked and strongarmed by a pack of crazy *****es. I wanted to see him burn his house down with the whole crazy lot of em inside.

Plus he's got style and had awesome parties. What's not to like
Dorian was a struggle for me. Thought the character and maybe even possibly the actor were awful in the first season.

The introduction of Angelique in season 2 finally snared by interest in Dorian and I enjoyed the extra dimension that rejection gave the character.

Joining forces with Bróna was a regression for me though I did enjoy Dorian in the end.

I think my main problem with him is that more often than not it was struggle to weave the character into the main plot and thus, would end up irritating me if what he was doing was offering nothing but take up time... and time is always something I thought this show didn't utilise enough.

I really loved the show though. Vanessa Ives, Madam Kali and John Clare are up there as some of my favourite performances of the last decade on the medium.

Got excited about it coming back but not sure on the approach they are taking. If the reviews are good I may give it a chance.

Sometimes what's dead doesn't always remain could be interpreted a number of ways.....I choose to interpret it as Eva Green coming back. :p

Natalie Dormer Joins ‘Penny Dreadful: City of Angels’ at Showtime

RijOYoh.jpg

Described as a spiritual descendant of the original “Penny Dreadful,” the new series opens in 1938 Los Angeles. When a grisly murder shocks the city, Detective Tiago Vega is embroiled in a story that reflects the history of Los Angeles: from the building of the city’s first freeways and its deep traditions of Mexican-American folklore, to the dangerous espionage actions of the Third Reich and the rise of radio evangelism.

Dormer will play Magda, a supernatural demon who can take the appearance of anyone she chooses and manifests in a number of guises throughout the story. Described as charismatic, clever and chameleon-like, Magda is a dangerous enemy and an invaluable ally. Dormer joins previously announced cast members Daniel Zovatto, who will play Det. Vega, and Jessica Garza and Jonathan Nieves.

Sounds like a role made for Natalie. Not quite the successor to Eva mind.

Glad they didn't try to recast Eva Green with someone else. Dormer can be her own character.

I wasn't referring to recasting. More that Vanessa Ives was a massive, towering, character. I'd hope there would be something similar here.

Dormer's character just sounds like an ambilavent anti hero, not something I'd expect to be an achor of the show like Vanessa was. I very much look forward to her doing her thing though because as I said, sounds like a character made for Natalie.

That is kind of what I meant. There is no way to recast Ives but they are also not trying to recreate that figure in another character.

I mean, I was already going to watch it, Showtime, but if you're gonna add Natalie Dormer, how could I not be even more invested?

Pretty cool that they are bringing this show back just when I finished binging it last year. I really enjoyed it overall, but I agree with some on here that the finale felt rushed and not very satisfying. Eva Green's character ended up being my favorite character in the show too.

Nathan Lane Joins Showtime’s ‘Penny Dreadful: City of Angels’

Lane will play Lewis Michener. A veteran officer in the LAPD, wise to the ways of the world and ruthless in pursuit of his goals, Lewis becomes the partner and mentor of fellow cop Tiago Vega (Daniel Zovatto). In addition to Zovatto, Lane joins a cast that already includes Natalie Dormer, Jessica Garza and Johnathan Nieves

Bringing it back? :D It's my birthday and Christmas all at once! :wowe:

I'm so jumping up and down right now. :D

Aghhhhhh never had that feeling of excitement punched out of me so quickly. Ah well I'm sure he will be great again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"