People need to learn how to speak English in America.

dude this is so fricken weird i was just thinkin about this thread during dinner for some reason today :eek:

I strongly agree!! If you are going to live in this country, the very least you can do is learn the damn language!!! I would not move to another country without at least learning some of their language. I feel it's incredibly arrogant to think that someone in their home country should have to cater to you because you don't know the language!

Mal'Akai said:
I strongly agree!! If you are going to live in this country, the very least you can do is learn the damn language!!! I would not move to another country without at least learning some of their language. I feel it's incredibly arrogant to think that someone in their home country should have to cater to you because you don't know the language!

It's far more arrogant to say that those who come here have to speak English. Who are we to impose our language on anyone? :huh:

Equinox said:
I went to Taco Bell today and I asked for a Crunch Wrap with chicken/no beef..That guy gave me one with no meat..:( :mad:
I once went to McDonald's and asked if I could order a 1/2 dozen chicken nuggets. I was told they didn't offer that!! So I ordered the six-piece chicken nuggets instead.

Mal'Akai said:
I once went to McDonald's and asked if I could order a 1/2 dozen chicken nuggets. I was told they didn't offer that!! So I ordered the six-piece chicken nuggets instead.

Sounds like a mathematical problem to me. :o

Ha ha! You live in a country without even 1 official language. :word:

Ben Urich said:
It's far more arrogant to say that those who come here have to speak English. Who are we to impose our language on anyone? :huh:
It's our country!!! I take it you'd move to another country and expect them to know english for you??

Mal'Akai said:
It's our country!!!

So we're free to just say "neener neener neener" to anyone who doesn't know our language? :huh:

Mal'Akai said:
I take it you'd move to another country and expect them to know english for you??

What does that have to do with anything?

Mal'Akai said:
Shows low IQ.

This might surprise you, but English speakers sometimes have low IQs.

lars573 said:
Ha ha! You live in a country without even 1 official language. :word:

Ha ha! At least we're not speaking French. :cool:

Flexo said:
Ha ha! At least we're not speaking French. :cool:

Yeah, damn those French and their ugly women. Communist ***** ****s.

:whatever:

Ben Urich said:
Yeah, damn those French and their ugly women. Communist ***** ****s.

:whatever:

And their damn mimes. :cmad:

Ben Urich said:
So we're free to just say "neener neener neener" to anyone who doesn't know our language? :huh:
I have to deal with people every day in my line of work who either do not or will not speak English. It is infuriatingly difficult to deal with them. It's like trying to have a heart to heart talk with a wall.
Ben Urich said:
What does that have to do with anything?
You seem to feel that we Americans should put up with people who won't learn english, so I figured you were of the mind set that when living in a foriegn country you don't need to know the language.
Ben Urich said:
This might surprise you, but English speakers sometimes have low IQs.
The whole thing with McDonald's and the nuggets had nothing to do with language, just a funny story that the Taco Bell post made me think of.

Mal'Akai said:
I have to deal with people every day in my line of work who either do not or will not speak English. It is infuriatingly difficult to deal with them. It's like trying to have a heart to heart talk with a wall.

You seem to feel that we Americans should put up with people who won't learn english, so I figured you were of the mind set that when living in a foriegn country you don't need to know the language.
The whole thing with McDonald's and the nuggets had nothing to do with language, just a funny story that the Taco Bell post made me think of.

LOL, I'm seriously only going to say this once cuz it's getting repetitive.

Immigrants have always been insular

there, I said it, anyone else saying otherwise? you're wrong sorry, you don't know history or have too little a brain to understand why "Chinatown"or "little Italy"exist (must've been that urge to integrate)
most of the people that go to the US illegaly (because I assume this person was speaking spanish) have a lot of trouble learning english, because if they knew english they could stay home and make money (marginal as it where) with a job in call center (a rampant plague in Mexico) but most of the eventually get the basics and can communicate, they'll never write in Iambic Pentameter, but such is life.
seriously, If it was your Doctor or something I might understand, but it's ****ing Wal Mart, or McDonnalds, there's a ubiquitous smiley face showing you what you need, and fast food places have tons of illustrations and numbers.

seriously get over it.

you can whine and moan, and get all "dem immigants can't speak the language!"nothing is going to change.
make English the official Language of the US, fact I believe it is already, tell me in a month hoe many people spontaneously learned to speak it.

LOL, carry on, this'll lead to nowhere.

bigsuit.jpg

who the hell needs help to shop at wal mart??? are you in a wheelchair?

Guess America should start by sending George Bush back to school then eh?

you know... i went to popeyes drive thru earlier and it took a while to for the dude to take my order cause he couldnt speak english to well..he had a hard time but he got through it. my first language was spanish and im fluent in english, but thats because i went to school in the u.s. since pre k. even if everyone learned english, white people would probably complain about their accents. there are so much more inconveniences in the white world. and they are all trivial. todos tienen miedo de lo que no entienden. si no quieres tener miedo, habre los ojos.

How does one learn English?

One must be educated.

Where does one go to be educated?

Schools.

Do everyone get an equal education?

No. Particularly the minorities. So how do you expect us to learn English, when you do not even allow us a proper education?

For example, when the Chinese first migrated to San Francisco, to mine for gold, they were shunned from the community. They became an enclave and created Chinatown, where everyone spoke Chinese and noone spoke English, because the white majority refused them to be educated. From gold mining, to railroad, to argiculture, they were all driven out and eventually landed jobs in laundry service, and restaurants. In 1882, the Chinese were banned from immigrating into the US, by the process called, "the Chinese Exclusion Act". Just two years before, whites and "mongolians" were not allowed to marry. In 1922, no whites were allowed to marry a Chinese, even if the woman found the man's chinky eyes to be attractive. And on and on it goes.

So how can you expect us to learn something, when you refuse to teach it amongst us? That's what I don't get. Do you actually think education is equal to everyone? Look at Malcolm X--education failed him.

Jourmugand said:
When America was founded,only 1 language was spoken.English,since America was a colony of Great Britain.
If, you know, you don't want to count the numerous languages spoken by Native American villages and African slaves.

Later on German and Irish came to America
But not before the US government purchased the Louisiana Territory from France, giving America a significant number of French (and a few Spanish) speakers.

the languages were spoken,but slowly assimilated into American culture.
Unless the immigrants came from Asian countries, as they were not allowed to integrate into English-speaking society by a series of laws described by HellOnEarth.

English was the official language for over 100 years,until about 30 years ago when hispanics invaded America.
Invaded America? Was this before or after the US annexed Mexican territories like California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico?

ord0g said:
Guess America should start by sending George Bush back to school then eh?
Not a bad idea!!! Just make it one his daddy can't help him get through.

Would those here from a Spanish speaking country like it if a large group of people moved into your country and refused to speak Spanish?? I don't think so. I used to live in El Paso, TX. While there working in sales, I had several customers who lived in El Paso (which is in the USA) that would refuse to purchase anything from me if I didn't speak Spanish for them. They had lived, in some cases, their whole lives in El Paso, TX, USA and had never learned English!! And believe me, there were plenty of opportunities offered to them, they just wouldn't do it. The reason I got more often than not, never needed to, because so many local businesses would speak Spanish for them. This contributes to the problem.

Mal'Akai said:
It's our country!!! I take it you'd move to another country and expect them to know english for you??
Actually, most americans I've run into overseas actually do expect that.

Mr. Walters said:
Here's a radical thought...

We could try and learn their language?

I was once told by a former coworker that everybody in Texas should learn how to speak Spanish.

Which is preposterous. If you move into a country, you should try to have a passable knowledge of the language there. The natives should not bend over backwards to accomodate you, that's unfair.

And while some claim there is no official language, the United States's Constitution and all government documents are written in English. No other language. I think that qualifies as official.

I've already said my piece in this thread about being understanding of immigrants and their difficulties learning the language, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

I'll just say we have some damn intolerant mother****ers around here.

This couldve been avoided if the thread starter was a real man and never asked for help.

Cyclops said:
I was once told by a former coworker that everybody in Texas should learn how to speak Spanish.

Which is preposterous. If you move into a country, you should try to have a passable knowledge of the language there. The natives should not bend over backwards to accomodate you, that's unfair.

And while some claim there is no official language, the United States's Constitution and all government documents are written in English. No other language. I think that qualifies as official.

I've already said my piece in this thread about being understanding of immigrants and their difficulties learning the language, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

I'll just say we have some damn intolerant mother****ers around here.

We should all be speaking Native American anyway, but meh, thats what happen when the white man comes ramming through, fight the power Cyclops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"