The Walking Dead Rick "Motherf***in" Grimes Thread

Oh crap :wow: I thought Robert Kirkman didn't want to do that from the comics. Something that happens in the midseason finale? It does look like [BLACKOUT]Rick's hand, looking at the gif above and seeing the ring on his finger.[/BLACKOUT]

i just cant see them doing this. too much cgi would be needed.

ew-1403-rick-the-walking-dead-6.jpg

This Week's Cover: The Walking Dead returns with 6 exclusive EW collector's covers

The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln on his favorite zombie kill ever

Entertainment Weekly said:
You never forget your first time. Especially if your name is Andrew Lincoln and the time in question is the first time you killed a zombie.

That’s what we learned when we asked The Walking Dead star to name his favorite Rick zombie kill ever. “I think it’s always your first,” says Lincoln. “I mean, it would have to be the girl with the teddy bear. Funny enough. I’ve just seen an image of that teddy in a package, and I went, ‘Is that the teddy from the girl that I shot at the gas station?’ And they went, ‘yep.’ I think it was that.”

But there is another famous walker kill from that same episode that still hits home for the star. “I think the other one in that pilot episode when I put down the bicycle girl was probably the most profound one,” says Lincoln because it’s when I understood what we were trying to do — is see the human behind the beast. And find some humanity, or lost humanity, in the monster.”

Last edited:
Eagles also like fish, it doesn't mean they eat it three times a day.

^ That doesn't even make sense in the context of this discussion. Kirkman says he likes that Rick lost his hand. So how can he be regretting doing it if he likes it?

The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln addresses cliffhanger backlash

It is one of the most hotly debated cliffhangers in TV history, with fans divided pretty evenly in the love it and loathe it camps. But the star of The Walking Dead appreciates every single reaction to the controversial cliffhanger.

We spoke with Andrew Lincoln, who addressed fan reaction to the ending of season 6 — when the victim on the receiving end of Negan’s barbed wire-covered baseball bat was not revealed. And while Lincoln admits that “obviously we don’t want a divided reaction every time we do something as a season finale because then we’d start to be concerned,” he also likes that people are still talking about it…even while he’s going through customs.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How surprised were you by the negative reactions that some people had to that cliffhanger and having to wait to find out who had died?

ANDREW LINCOLN: The first time I went to Comic-Con and I heard the reaction to the trailer, I realized that we handed the show over to the fans at that point. It was a done deal. And so, there is a sort of symbiotic relationship with the show and the fanbase, which is also part of a bigger conversation in my opinion. We’re just a small part of a much bigger conversation online. And far be it for me to say someone’s right or wrong.

We love the fans. I love the fact that everybody is so engaged with it and so opinionated about it. I think it’s a great energy that we feed off. I mean, obviously we don’t want a divided reaction every time we do something as a season finale because then we’d start to be concerned, but we value and respect everybody’s opinion because without it we wouldn’t be here. I sort of keep out of the online stuff. I don’t do any social media. I don’t read reviews, because you can’t just take the good stuff. You have to take the bad stuff as well, and I don’t want to engage in that.

You also made the point to me once that had the people not known about the event from the comic book, that their reaction to that move at the end may have been very different.
At the heart of it is the fact that we dance this tightrope where we have this beautiful environment originated by Robert Kirkman. And then, we’re trying to do our own thing amongst it, but of course there are bits that we honor. We get this wonderful universe that we live in, but people can skip forward to their favorite bits. And I think the sad thing is that if you go forward too quickly you miss out on some really interesting and detailed storytelling in the process.

I know everybody’s excited. I know that there is a very vocal, a very opinionated, fervent fanbase that know the comics and can’t wait to get to certain characters and places. But we’re doing a different thing. Of course it is the same world and we want to honor it, but at the same time I would urge people not to open the presents on Christmas Eve because they’re going to have such a better day amongst all the other peoples and their faces opening it together.

To that end, how often are people asking you who died? Are you constantly getting that question?
Every time I leave my house. Every time I go through customs. Every time they are checking my belt going through the security, everybody’s going, “Please tell me. Just tell me. Just whisper, who is it? Is it you? Why are you in England at the moment? What are you doing here? Why are you not working or filming?” and all of that. It’s hilarious. Absolutely insane. So, part of me just goes, well, it’s people talking for a considerable amount of time. Whether you love it or hate it, it has kept people talking.

The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln on season 7 and a 'powerless' Rick

Remember Rick Grimes’ final line at the end of season 4 of The Walking Dead after he and his pals had just been locked in a train car at Terminus and seemed all but done for? “They’re screwing with the wrong people,” he confidently told the others with nary a speck of fear nor hesitation in his voice.

Those days are gone.

Rick’s confidence had shot so high over the past few seasons that he promised their new buddies at the Hilltop that he could rid them of the Saviors without having any clue whatsoever how many Saviors there were and what sort of threat they constituted. In the season 6 finale, the realization of what he was up against slowly started to dawn on our hero.

“As the season finished, the story was about Rick being broken,” says Andrew Lincoln, “and realizing that basically everything that he thought has been turned upside down in the space pretty of much of a day. The world that he fought and strove for for so long has irrevocably changed.”

And it seems as if that changed world will lead to a changed Rick Grimes… if he survives the season 7 premiere on Oct. 23, that is. “You meet a man who’s powerless, terrified for his own life and his son’s family’s life, and everybody else beside him,” says Lincoln of Rick’s thought process as Negan’s bat descended down. “And he realizes that there’s a new world, a much bigger, scarier, and formidable world.”

The cast was reintroduced to that world when they first showed up for filming on season 7 and had to finish the conclusion of that harrowing cliffhanger scene in which Negan begins bashing in the face of one of the Alexandrians. Even Lincoln’s mom felt bad for the actor having to go back and experience that all over again. “I remember my mother said to me, ‘That’s going to be quite a challenge to get back into that state that you were straight after a break,’” says Lincoln. “And I just said, ‘Thanks, mom. That’s kind of my job, thank you.’”

And while Lincoln may try to convince us that “it’s a hysterical episode — there’s so many laughs,” the truth is that the cast had to finally say an emotional goodbye to at least one of their castmates. “Norman [Reedus] put it very eloquently,” says Lincoln. “He said, ‘You know, somebody’s going to lose their job at the end of that.’ It’s a big deal, man. It’s a big deal. It’s a family on set.”

Lincoln also echoes the comments of fellow cast members and producers who say that Negan’s carnage will set up a completely new dynamic. “It’s just a continuation of a much bigger story,” says Lincoln. “We’re heading towards a bigger end point.” The question is, what kind of Rick will get there… if he gets there at all.

The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln previews the 'rocky road' ahead

Tough times for Rick Grimes, people! He watched one of his own die. Then watched another of his own die. Then he almost had to cut his own son’s arm off — the same son who just recently lost an eye and is currently sporting a very questionable haircut. Tough times, indeed!

So what now? We went to Andrew Lincoln to find out what these recent devastating events on AMC’s The Walking Dead mean for our hero going forward. Any way you slice it, it doesn’t look good.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Everyone was talking about the cliffhanger and who was going to die and all of that. Now the event is finally over. We’ve seen it. We’re done. We’re through it. We know the purpose of it all was that Negan really wanted to make Rick submissive. That was his goal in this. And the question really becomes now: Has he succeeded? What does this do to Rick going forward?
ANDREW LINCOLN:
You’re right. My huge concern in this episode was to tell the story of a defiant man being turned into an obedient man due to grief and trauma. That’s why it plays around with time, because they wanted to start with a man saying, “I’m going to kill you one day” and then end up with a man begging him, in fact even thanking him, for sparing his son’s arm. It’s Abraham and Isaac isn’t it? That’s it. Negan is the omnipotent one. He shatters.

I did ask [showrunner Scott M. Gimple] and I said, “What are we looking for here? Is there any sense in which Rick gets out? There’s a plan, there’s a glimmer?” But he unequivocally said, “No, this is Earth-shattering.” And I was like “Oh really. We’ve got to do that, have we?” That’s why we had to do it in the way I had to do it. But I will say that there is a kernel of light in the darkest moment of the show, in my opinion. If it isn’t, I’m going to have a very seriously long talk with Scott Gimple and Robert Kirkman.

What is that kernel, then?
The kernel of hope that is always in the DNA of our show is the moment he’s trying to protect Maggie and he just says, “He’s our family too. Let us do this. Let us still be united and the memory of this will be united in our family unit.” It’s the tiniest moment of anything resembling hope or community or love in this very sort of loveless and bleak new world that they just stumbled across. The quote that keeps coming back to me is from one of the greatest men that ever lived. It’s Nelson Mandela when he said, “The greatest glory in ever living lies not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.” And that keeps rumbling around in my head this season.

I know Daryl is going to be blaming himself a lot, clearly, for what happened. How much is Rick going to be blaming himself for his own hubris that led up to this tragedy?
Yeah, guilt is never very far from Rick Grimes’ shoulder. It comes with the package. He’s a man who takes his responsibilities very heavily, not lightly. And I think that makes him somebody that people want to fall in behind, or alongside. It’s also his strength, it’s also his weakness. This is shattering, what happened to him. I do think that it’s going to change who he is forevermore and through the end of the season.

How does everybody else in Alexandria react when Rick comes back and tells everyone about the new rules?
All I will say is that this is a rocky road. It’s a shocking beginning to a season, but it is the beginning of a season. That’s what people have to remember. This is where we begin, after the quake. This season is about rebuilding and about characters dealing with the trauma and grief of this brutal attack, but also this new regime that they are now a part of. And each react in their own individual ways. It’s more Lord of the Rings than Lord of the Flies this season.

Andrew Lincoln’s performance was great throughout ep. 704 "Service". I saw a definite contrast from last season’s overconfident Rick. Negan even noticed the difference when he saw a snippet of Deanna’s archived video interview with Rick from season 5b.

It’s interesting seeing Rick going through different phases (Officer Friendly, “Ricktatorship” Rick, Crazy Rick, Farmer Rick, Savage Rick, Cocky Rick and now Broken Rick) each season. His reaction to how the Saviors were treating Daryl even got to me. Rick's facial expressions changed from sorrow to disgust to anger in seconds. Frustrating for Rick seeing his right hand man/brother like that.

I couldn’t blame Rick for having the urge to use Lucille on Negan. I don’t think I’d be able to keep my composure the whole time the way he and Rosita did whenever Negan and Dwight bullied them.

Rick revealing to Michonne that Judith wasn’t his but Shane’s didn’t surprise me though. I always figured Shane was Judith’s biological father. Still a great moment between Rick and Michonne. Also thought it was a nice call back to Shane and Lori.

I also liked how Rick put Spencer in his place near the end. Rick reminded me of Negan when he told Spencer to say "Yes.

The Walking Dead 7x04 Rick Threatens Spencer ("Service")
[YT]Bjhlvkc-DxY[/YT]

Well I guess we won't be seeing Rick's colt python for a while since the Saviors took every gun from the ASZ.

Andrew Lincoln’s performance was great throughout ep. 704 "Service". I saw a definite contrast from last season’s overconfident Rick. Negan even noticed the difference when he saw a snippet of Deanna’s archived video interview with Rick from season 5b.

It’s interesting seeing Rick going through different phases (Officer Friendly, “Ricktatorship” Rick, Crazy Rick, Farmer Rick, Savage Rick, Cocky Rick and now Broken Rick) each season. His reaction to how the Saviors were treating Daryl even got to me. Rick's facial expressions changed from sorrow to disgust to anger in seconds. Frustrating for Rick seeing his right hand man/brother like that.

I couldn’t blame Rick for having the urge to use Lucille on Negan. I don’t think I’d be able to keep my composure the whole time the way he and Rosita did whenever Negan and Dwight bullied them.

Rick revealing to Michonne that Judith wasn’t his but Shane’s didn’t surprise me though. I always figured Shane was Judith’s biological father. Still a great moment between Rick and Michonne. Also thought it was a nice call back to Shane and Lori.

I also liked how Rick put Spencer in his place near the end. Rick reminded me of Negan when he told Spencer to say "Yes.

The Walking Dead 7x04 Rick Threatens Spencer ("Service")
[YT]Bjhlvkc-DxY[/YT]

Andrew Lincoln has some range for sure.

Yeah, the one thing I think that would make me stop watching the show is if they killed Rick. I don't think that will ever happen until maybe the last episode. But IMO, Rick is the glue that holds this fragile house together. People like the b***h about him all the time for whatever reason but I still think he's an amazing character and Lincoln brings it in every single episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"