RoboCop Reboot - Part 7

About the remake thing, I believe a film cannot be judge for something it doesn't try to be. You can't criticize a comedy for not having enough scares or a drama for not having enough action. And just because this is a remake, it doesn't mean it's a copy of the original. Quite the opposite, as many have stated, this feels like a new film entirely.

For example, I read a lot of reviews complaining about the lack of the dry humor from the first one. But the new Rocobop doesn't try that, it doesn't try to have the same humor of the first one, so how can't it be a flaw? If it tried and failed, then yes, you could say about that, but not just because it has the same name.

So in the end I believe the critics were unfair. Not this film deserver only praise, but in my eyes it was considerable better than Elysium, for example. Yet the latter got more positive reviews.

^ I agree with this completely, this is my main problem with some of the criticizm and most of the trashing in this case too.
That's fine if someone thinks it's awful or mediocre or whatever on its own, I have no problem with such opinions at all. And of course that's also fine when someone personally likes the original version more because of what made it so popular and cultic. But what you said is completely unfair IMO too.

^In fairness I dont think you will find anyone who likes this over the original, I certainly dont, but I liked the new movie more than enough.

It is very different from the original so I agree with you in that people and critics are judging it too harshly. I hate hearing that it didnt have the humour of the original, guess what, because its NOT the original, its a re-make with new ideas and a new thought process behind it.

The critics were too harsh on it just like they were with MOS IMO, MOS kept being compared to STM by many critics when they were both completely different animals, just like the original Robocop and this one.

^In fairness I dont think you will find anyone who likes this over the original

Me myself. But I never liked the original to begin with, Verhoven's style is simply not my cup of tea, sorry. But I know I'm in the minority.

^Well fair enough, at least you acknowledge not many people will think that way.

But anyway, I liked the new movie a lot and just hope they can turn it into a franchise as I want to see more of this Robocop.

To be honest I had hardly ever heard anyone praising or let alone mentioning the original - until this remake. I'm surprised to realize it's so loved and respected.

I agree, I think this one was good enough movie to begin a franchise, but the numbers are not very promising, sadly :csad:

To be honest I had hardly ever heard anyone praising or let alone mentioning the original - until this remake. I'm surprised to realize it's so loved and respected.

I agree, I think this one was good enough movie to begin a franchise, but the numbers are not very promising, sadly :csad:

I have always loved the original, but as I got older I obviously got a new appreciation for it once I noticed things I couldnt have as a child, its one of my favourite movies ever.

But yeah I liked the re-make, and a sequel has huge potential, the domestic numbers arent good no, but the international ones arent bad at all for a Feb release.

I think it has been already discussed what we could see in a sequel (or if it has a point at all) since the most interesting aspect is how this man turns into a machine and all those questions that it raises. I guess we'll see if there's any sequel.
I just hope with time this movie will be more appreciated than it is now.

So robocop dropped to fourth this week behind some newcomers Pompeii and 3 days to kill. It did 9.3 million bringing it domestic totals to 43 million while world wide it's at 105 million.

So robocop dropped to fourth this week behind some newcomers Pompeii and 3 days to kill. It did 9.3 million bringing it domestic totals to 43 million while world wide it's at 105 million.

That doesn't sound too good especially with its 100 million+ $ budget.

Ya, It just wasn't a well put together movie, it just felt pieced together and rushed. Not a lot of continuity or character development, that being said I'd think it will be a decent DvD/Blu Ray movie to have imo.
I felt this movie would of benefitted more if it followed the original more with today's CGI. The impact of Murphy's death in original was hands down great, as well as the office workers death while testing the ED-209. The hunting of Robocop was classic, this felt stripped down to some degree.

No it should cross two hundred million with ease which was the studios expectation. They were never really banking on the us domestic BO , I think it would of been nice but not nesscary.

Last edited:
Ya, It just wasn't a well put together movie, it just felt pieced together and rushed. Not a lot of continuity or character development, that being said I'd think it will be a decent DvD/Blu Ray movie to have imo.
I felt this movie would of benefitted more if it followed the original more with today's CGI. The impact of Murphy's death in original was hands down great, as well as the office workers death while testing the ED-209. The hunting of Robocop was classic, this felt stripped down to some degree.

Then why not just watch the original then?:nono:

No it should cross two hundred million with ease which was the studios expectation. They were never really banking on the us domestic BO , I think it would of been nice but nesscary.

$200mil plus is not enough. Not close, especially with the horrible domestic numbers. Too many seem to forget that distribution and marketing add another %50 at least to the cost.

Meanwhile, RoboCop is traveling well overseas but the question is will the re-envisioned remake break even? Remember they also have to recoup marketing and distribution costs both domestically and internationally and it’s currently at $43.8M here (of which exhibitors get roughly half). With over $17.7M internationally from this weekend, worldwide right now (updated this morning) is about $143.8M (budget is about $106M). Still to open in the big market of China, but that’s a lot of dough to recoup. So don’t know how MGM isn’t going to lose its shirt on this one. Hope it breaks even. Word is it may do $240M to $250M.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/box...-costners-3-days-to-kill-no-2-buries-pompeii/

It is at around $144mil WW at this point. It is going to need to at least double for a prayer to break even.

Also, something quite interesting about how the international box office has been cut up.

In its 4th weekend, MGM and Columbia Pictures’ Robocop hit the $100M mark internationally, adding an estimated $17.7M. Sony Pictures Releasing International’s take was an estimated $13.9M for the weekend and a cume of $72.7M, while MGM’s distribution partners contributed an estimated $3.8M for a cume of $27.3M. The movie is now playing in 75 markets and had a No. 1 bow in Brazil with an estimated $3.4M on 697 screens. That’s no big surprise given director José Padilha’s popularity at home.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/int...n-of-smaug-sets-records-for-warner-bros-more/

Last edited:
^Marketing costs never come into the budget and profits with other movies Darth so it shouldnt here. If the movie makes $200 million WW then it has broke even, same as with any other movie only budget comes into it when it comes to profits.

Other movies which didnt make their budget back domestically have had sequels as well, Hellboy, G.I Joe: Rise Of Cobra, X-Men: First Class and Chronicles Of Riddick to name but a few.

and didn't hellboy get a sequel because it did really well in dvd sales too?

and didn't hellboy get a sequel because it did really well in dvd sales too?

Yeah thats right, so a Robocop sequel isnt dead yet. I agree the domestic numbers arent the best, but the movie doesnt have much competition until the 300 sequel is out.

$200mil plus is not enough. Not close, especially with the horrible domestic numbers. Too many seem to forget that distribution and marketing add another %50 at least to the cost.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/box...-costners-3-days-to-kill-no-2-buries-pompeii/

It is at around $144mil WW at this point. It is going to need to at least double for a prayer to break even.

Also, something quite interesting about how the international box office has been cut up.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/int...n-of-smaug-sets-records-for-warner-bros-more/

Even your own article says it should cross 240-250 million mark. Do you want it to fail? Because as I understand it you haven't seen it yet and you haven't expressed an interest in doing so.

^Marketing costs never come into the budget and profits with other movies Darth so it shouldnt here. If the movie makes $200 million WW then it has broke even, same as with any other movie only budget comes into it when it comes to profits.

Other movies which didnt make their budget back domestically have had sequels as well, Hellboy, G.I Joe: Rise Of Cobra, X-Men: First Class and Chronicles Of Riddick to name but a few.
So why exactly do you think the deadline article brought it up?

It always comes into play. I don't know where you got that idea from that it doesn't. Perhaps it is from all the bad box office information and talk that goes on on the Hype, but what you just wrote is completely wrong. It is why Man of Steel is considered a lukewarm success. Why when Begins made $374mil on $150mil budget, it needed the DVD sales to achieve The Dark Knight.

Hellboy got a sequel because it was well-received, and they were hoping it would boost like they hoped with Kick-Ass and The Dark Knight. GDT also made Pan's between the two films which helped boost his profile. But there is a reason GDT couldn't get funding for his next project after Hellboy 2 and ended up having to do PR which he never intended to direct. First Class is an active franchise, and well we see the route they went with it. Riddick become a low-budget film, and Rise of the Cobra saw a massive reduction in budget and a complete rehaul. GI Joe also as the luruxy of being a part of studio that is desperate for franchises.

If Robocop was a smash with general audiences and the critics a sequel with mediocre BO would be a good shout. But that isn't what has happened.

If you think it is only budget that counts, just look at Tron Legacy and Pacific Rim. Both films "doubled" their budget. Both were well received. Tron Legacy is still in early production after talks all the way back in 2011, and well PR doesn't even has whispers right now.

Last edited:
Even your own article says it should cross 240-250 million mark. Do you want it to fail? Because as I understand it you haven't seen it yet and you haven't expressed an interest in doing so.
You do realize that isn't enough right? That is what everyone here is ignoring because most here are fans, which I get. But that doesn't change the numbers and what they represent. As the article said, it doesn't see how MGM doesn't lose here. Why do you think they mention this in the same article as point out those could end up being the numbers.

As I have said before with any budget, add at least %50.

Do I want it to fail? I don't particular care. But like with other box office talk I want people to read the numbers correctly.

And I probably won't be watching it at this point, well not until it appears on Netflix. Family would rather see Lego again. Then comes Winds and 300.

If I'm not mistaken, international sales can be iffy due to how the profits are being split can be a lot more convoluted than domestic BO. It's all about the domestic.

If I'm not mistaken, international sales can be iffy due to how the profits are being split can be a lot more convoluted than domestic BO. It's all about the domestic.

Yeah unless the overseas take really is massive, domestic take is generally the figure a studio looks at first.

It's just really the easiest way to get their money, no worries about differing currency rates or added taxes and tariffs (especially when were talking about china).

Also there isn't a whole lot of buzz for the film; everyone's all jazzed up for Lego which is stealing the spotlight away from RoboCop.

It is still common practice to sell certain territories rights. And we all know how ridiculous China is. Here Sony and MGM have split those numbers up already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"