RoboCop Reboot - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. This looks surprisingly good! I'm digging the direction the filmmakers have taken with this. The Total Recall remake was a poorly made film compared to the original as it kept the exact story structure, story beats and almost all of the exact same characters. The only noticeable difference is it was set on Earth and not Mars. This new RoboCop looks truly re-imagined with some interesting elements in the mix. Colour me excited!

As my post explained, my problem is not that this is a reboot, not that this is different, and not that they changed things in general. My complaint is that they changed a very particular thing that is what specifically makes Robocop Robocop. Similarly, one can make many, many changes to Superman in a Superman reboot, but if your movie is not about a boy from Krypton then I don't think you've actually made a Superman movie.

Right, but that's what's different about robocop. It's not superman and the like. Robocop begins and ends with the 87 movie, so this new reboot can do whatever it wants to do and be "robocop". It won't be THE robocop. It's not the original idea the 87 movie is that gave birth to robocop. Hopefully you know what I mean, I wasn't really directing anything toward you, and I get what your saying!

But I'm comfortable with it because its not robocop, and nothing other than the 87 movie CAN be. So yea having a different origin etc doesn't matter at all. It's a completely different movie. It's not trying to be THE robocop. If it was everyone would be complaining about that too lol.

If you want THE RoboCop then watch and enjoy the original 1987 film. We will always have that.

Loved the original Robocop in 1987 saw it in theaters as a kid and many times since. I was never on the fence about this project. The cast is awesome Joel Kineman is going to own this role as Alex Murphy. I'm just ready to see more of how this story will develop within the movie. The trailer didn't change my stance on that just got me a little more amped for this to be released.

I will say the original remains the best.Except for original suir.the alex murphy name,and dead or alive your coming with me line this has little In Common with original.

The corporate stuff in trailer pales In compasion to those In original film.Michael Keaton,which Is exactly very iconic casting considering robocop may have inspired batman's suit,appears to be playing a variation on the old man from first 2 films but he seems too much involved In robocop.

So much of what made the original grat seems to be missing In favor of more random crimes,corporate marketing,and giving scientists too much screentime.

Corporation running police department and running it into ground Is much more relvence today than In 1980's.Plus too many seem to know from getgo robocop Is murphy.

Dawn of the planet of the apes worked so well because it was modern remake of conquest of planet of the apes without caesar being born of apes from future.and threw In references fans of original films could catch.Here they more or less wanted to do their own thing with name robocop.

I will say the original remains the best.Except for original suir.the alex murphy name,and dead or alive your coming with me line this has little In Common with original.

The corporate stuff in trailer pales In compasion to those In original film.Michael Keaton,which Is exactly very iconic casting considering robocop may have inspired batman's suit,appears to be playing a variation on the old man from first 2 films but he seems too much involved In robocop.

So much of what made the original grat seems to be missing In favor of more random crimes,corporate marketing,and giving scientists too much screentime.

Corporation running police department and running it into ground Is much more relvence today than In 1980's.Plus too many seem to know from getgo robocop Is murphy.

Dawn of the planet of the apes worked so well because it was modern remake of conquest of planet of the apes without caesar being born of apes from future.and threw In references fans of original films could catch.Here they more or less wanted to do their own thing with name robocop.

Ah yes exactly! More of the point I was trying to make lol.

That trailer gave me vibes of the Total Recall remake. It looks too damn polished and sterile.

Why reboot Robocop when there's nothing dated about the original first movie?

That trailer gave me vibes of the Total Recall remake. It looks too damn polished and sterile.

That's a good compasion.Taking a classic r rated film,rebooting it,and making It PG-13 but changing many things.

Hollywood thinks It can take classics and do them so much better but often they show those that did It first time did It better.

If robocop turns out as total recall one lesson Is don't remake,reboot,or make sequels to Paul Venhoven films.You can never do as good as he did the first time.

If robocop turns out as total recall one lesson Is don't remake,reboot,or make sequels to Paul Venhoven films.You can never do as good as he did the first time.

Speaking of, wasn't there a rumour (or even announcement) that they're developing a Starship Troopers reboot a while ago?

ehhhhhh....i don't know

aside from the incredible cast, nothing else really stood out for me to make me think it will be better than the original

i'll still watch it, but i might just wait for the DVD

This looks worse then I thought it was going to look, and I didn't think it was going to look all that good in the first place. Super generic, and when will the majority of filmmakers learn from the small few on how to make a realistic looking future?

The eyebrows and the overall look of it looks too tame

4NJP2BZ.jpg

It's a guy in a suit

Look at the all the harsh detailing

BdXTjdCl.jpg

Right, but that's what's different about robocop. It's not superman and the like. Robocop begins and ends with the 87 movie, so this new reboot can do whatever it wants to do and be "robocop". It won't be THE robocop. It's not the original idea the 87 movie is that gave birth to robocop. Hopefully you know what I mean, I wasn't really directing anything toward you, and I get what your saying!
Whether it's one movie or a thousand comics, there's not much meaningful difference. I have criteria (and pretty forgiving criteria, I think) for what makes Robocop Robocop, and this doesn't meet it.

Similarly, if this was a movie about a guy who gets turned into a wizard instead of a robot, I would not consider it a Robocop movie regardless of how much Robocop material there is or isn't.

A massive fan of 87' RoboCop.

This feels more of a modern superhero movie in terms of scale and tone.

I'm okay with it I guess.

The silver suit looks great, and it seems like he will return to that look for the finale.

The eyebrows and the overall look of it looks too tame

4NJP2BZ.jpg

It's a guy in a suit

Look at the all the harsh detailing

BdXTjdCl.jpg

Seeing them together like that, man...

So the point of the new Robo is to make him seem as human as possible, hence the hand and altering his brain patterns (whatever) to make him think he's in control. I'm hoping the chin guard and top/sides/back of the head come off at some point, and reveal something as... confronting as Weller's appearance was to him.

Something tells me the shot of him jumping and landing on the ground in the classic colored suit is the climax of the movie.

He's jumping over a training wall

QbTiCMp.gif

The trailer had alot of the test run of robocop with the drones and test track.

They wheel him out to the test area in the black suit for the drones part.

I really think most people are grasping at straws when it comes to finding something to not like about this movie. The most compelling and genuine complaint I've read so far throughout this entire production has been with Saint's post a page or two back.

Even then I respectfully don't share that thought. I think this should separate itself from the original. Treading the same road would prove itself detrimental in the long run. Keeping a few homages (like a few classic lines) is fine by me but using every single theme the original used would prove itself stale. I'm happy they're playing different themes in this one.

Last edited:
Only thing I liked about the trailer was Michael Keaton and that's only because he's Keaton.

Other than that, it looks bad and cheap. Really cheap.

I don't know why, but that struck me as a 'training' scene. Like those are just OCP's combat training 'bots to test his metal (pun sort of intended).

Yeah, it definitely looks like a cop training exercise.

You guys are probably right, I just thought at some point they might unleash the old models on him.

I guess you can say I like the more human element added to the robot.

Me too, exploring the adjustment he has to make more acutely I think is a good idea.

I really think most people are gasping at straws when it comes finding something to not like about this movie. The most compelling and genuine complaint I've read so far throughout this entire production has been with Saint's post a page or two back.

Even then I respectfully don't share that thought. I think this should separate itself from the original. Treading the same road would prove itself detrimental in the long run. Keeping a few homages (like a few classic lines) is fine by me but using every single theme the original used would prove itself stale. I'm happy they're playing different themes in this one.

I agree, to me the movie is still covering the essentials but I like the fact there is more of Murphy and how it's looking at the dangers of faceless weapons with no accountability being a way of dispersing justice in the future, not just in war but domestically.

Murphy getting burned via car bombing is lame. he should have been shot up to a bloody pulp like in the original :down

I really think most people are grasping at straws when it comes to finding something to not like about this movie. The most compelling and genuine complaint I've read so far throughout this entire production has been with Saint's post a page or two back.

"Grasping at straws to find something not to like"?

God know that sounds nothing like the Hype. :o

He's jumping over a training wall

QbTiCMp.gif

The trailer had alot of the test run of robocop with the drones and test track.

They wheel him out to the test area in the black suit for the drones part.
Is that suppose to be Robocop, or test footage of Robocop in the film. Because that is some of the worse CGI I have seen in while.

The general look and aesthetic is enough to put me off. Add that I know what Robocop is, this just doesn't look good. Looks more like a middle sized budget superhero flick then anything else. The shot of him without the visor tells me everything.

Also, so much for the suit looking better on film. It looks pretty much the same.

Whether it's one movie or a thousand comics, there's not much meaningful difference. I have criteria (and pretty forgiving criteria, I think) for what makes Robocop Robocop, and this doesn't meet it.

Similarly, if this was a movie about a guy who gets turned into a wizard instead of a robot, I would not consider it a Robocop movie regardless of how much Robocop material there is or isn't.

There's a huge difference between what makes a film and a comic book. The character of Robocop originated from a film written by neumeier and minor, directed by Paul Verhoeven, acted by Peter Weller. Those are the guys who brought robocop to life originally and who are robocop. If it does not involve them it isn't robocop either way. Comic books are often monthly/weekly episodes hand drawn and written by various different people through various different titles and have lasted much much longer than robocop.

Given that robocop is an original FILM character it cements what exactly he is and is suppose to be. There were never any other movies made by that same exact team, or any plans to. It was a nicely wrapped one shot movie that was never suppose to succeed the way it did.

Characters from comic books are not definitive, they are mix and match and change so often. There are fundemental elements that stay the same but ey evolve and that is the purpose, and the reason why they have lasted so long. There can be many movies, tv shows, or video games based on these characters and never one be definitive. When your making or basing a film based on ONE film from 1987 it's very much different. There IS a definitive take already on film. I don't want to re-iterate what I've already said though lol.

I can see this film being pretty good. Could it be as great as the original? Possibly. Is it robocop? No. But that should be a known factor. The team behind this new movie are making their own movie and doing what they want with it, but involve aspects of the classic film like the silver armor etc. As it should be.

People have criteria, yet that criteria began and ended with 1987. That criteria and everything that is robocop came from just that one definitive 87 film yes?. You see what I'm saying? Not 75 years of comics, TV, games, etc.

As I've said, we will always have the 1987 robocop. That's what robocop is. Expectations need to be re-evaluated for this new movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"