RoboCop Reboot - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, come on, if OCP wanted to gain people's trust, they wouldn't design the inhumane proportioned ED, or the killing drones etc. This humanising thing doesn't sit well with me. The point and the tragedy of this character is that he doesn't have any resemblance to his former self and human appearance. Why make him a wannabe super powered man in a batmanish armour and take all that drama away? Not to mention the exposed human hand...Terrible choices there. I hope they get rid of these concepts in the middle of the movie.

Other posters, feel free to keep me honest as I'm going off of memory here, but those other machines aren't mean to interact with American citizens. The entire reasoning behind Robocop being built is so that there's still accountability, there's still a man pulling the trigger. And there's this illusion of free will. And these are things that have to be in place to have this armed machine running around the streets of Detroit.

In the end though, he's just a marketing tool. In this film, the concern isn't to make an elite cop, but a product. His human hand is an extension of this idea. He seems more human to people and is therefore more marketable.

The tragedy you talk about is in relation to the original film. They're going for something different with this film. Padilha's made it pretty clear he's working with different themes this time around.

Also, black armor existed before Batman. And it will continue to exist long after. He's black because he's meant to look tactical. There's a thematic reason for it and they kinda point that out right in the trailer.

I'm still wondering if its true that by the film's end, the suit (the black one) gets damaged and we get a new one to replace it, and its suppose to be more like the silver one, or more robotic like.

acbi.jpg

You tell me, Haha.

This movie will surprise a lot of folks, Im sure. Especially the stubborn fans. Robocop is my absolute favorite (non batman) film ever, and Im absolutely welcoming this new take.

Robo has NEVER been in good shape after 1987. Its been complete crap shoot. The least we can do is welcome a decent new take on the character. We will always have the 87 film. The new one doesn't hurt anything. At all.

Last edited:
I might have to stop by my local Regal theater I know the AMC never gives out posters but maybe Regal is and I hope they have one of those.
They Might! I lived near a Regal up north before I moved here. Down here there are more Malco's than AMC, but one Malco used to BE an AMC

acbi.jpg

You tell me, Haha.

This movie will surprise a lot of folks, Im sure. Especially the stubborn fans. Robocop is my absolute favorite (non batman) film ever, and Im absolutely welcoming this new take.

Robo has NEVER been in good shape after 1987. Its been complete crap shoot. The least we can do is welcome a decent new take on the character. We will always have the 87 film. The new one doesn't hurt anything. At all.

Wow, never seen that image before. Seems like the film will push the PG-13 rating, that's for sure.

I'm coming around as well. I think if this movie has a strong social commentary like the original did, it could resonate with viewers.

those latest tv spots have got me even more excited for this.
yes, it does seem a bit more cgi than I would've liked, but in no way does this seem like a lazy reboot or remake.

And now, that awesome image of a battle-damaged RoboCop signals that it is time for me to vacate this thread until I see the movie.

I shall see you on the other side. :)

‘RoboCop’ redux: Jose Padilha reboots the ’80s sci-fi tale of a cyber-lawman
Jan 6, 2014
-By Ethan Alter

Brazilian filmmaker José Padilha didn’t walk into his meet-and-greet with MGM expecting to emerge as the director of a rebooted RoboCop, the 1987 Paul Verhoeven hit that spawned an unlikely but lucrative franchise in the late ’80s and early ’90s. In fact, RoboCop wasn’t even one of the films the heads of MGM, president Jonathan Glickman and co-chairman and co-CEO Roger Birnbaum (who later departed the company in 2012), had on the agenda when they welcomed Padhila into their offices for a general meeting to see which in-development projects might be a good fit for the director behind two of Brazil’s biggest box-office hits, the cop thrillers Elite Squad and Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. But as Padhila politely listened to and declined the various films they pitched his way, his eyes drifted up to a framed poster of Verhoeven’s RoboCop—a film he adores—hanging on the wall of the office. Looking back at the executives, he promptly pitched a project of his own: “Why don’t we do RoboCop?”

This wasn’t as spur-of-the-moment of a suggestion as it might sound. Even though he hadn’t specifically met with MGM to sell them on the notion of a RoboCop remake (for one thing, he wasn’t certain that they still had the rights), Padilha already had a mental outline of what a new version of the Verhoeven film might look like. “I had a take on it before that meeting,” the 46-year-old filmmaker says, on the phone while scouting locations for an upcoming day-long shoot that will capture the final pieces he needs to complete the RoboCop remake he pitched to MGM roughly three years ago, which will finally arrive in theatres on Feb. 12, 2014, via Columbia Pictures. At the time, the studio was lukewarm to the idea, having already been through the development mill with a Darren Aronofsky-helmed RoboCop remake that ultimately went nowhere. “They said, ‘RoboCop again? What’s your take?’” Padilha remembers. And so the director spun them the following scenario: “We’re in 2026 or 2030 and the drone issue—using drones for warfare—has escalated. Now, drones are everywhere and they’re automated; they don’t need drone pilots, the drones make the decision whether or not to fire based on software. So, for the first time in history, we have autonomous machines waging war—except in America, because Americans wouldn’t accept a robot pulling the trigger. So they passed a law saying that in order for a law-enforcement entity to enforce life-and-death decisions, it had to consist of conscious human beings who know the value of human lives. Even though Americans are using drones everywhere else in the world, they can’t be used in America itself.”

Against this backdrop, Padhila’s pitch continued, the profit-minded drone manufacturer OmniCorp (a subsidiary of Omni Consumer Products or OCP, the rogue corporation from Verhoeven’s original) and its devious CEO Sellars (played by Michael Keaton) devise a unique end-run around the “no drones on home soil” stipulation. Namely, they’ll find a way to stick a flesh-and-blood man (at least part of one) inside one of their machines, thus claiming that the drone is a conscious human being…or close enough, anyway. They find their unwilling volunteer in the form of Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman, occupying the role originated by Peter Weller), a Detroit cop who is almost killed in an explosion and has his remaining organic parts transferred into a cutting-edge OmniCorp-manufactured cybernetic suit that patrols the Motor City streets as…RoboCop. Unlike his ’80s predecessor, though, this robotic cop is fully aware of his human identity as well as everything he’s lost since forcibly donning the suit, including his wife Clara (Abbie Cornish) and the ability to do such basic things as feeding himself.

“The thing about this version of RoboCop is that Alex doesn’t become RoboCop in a single leap,” Padilha explains. “He doesn’t die and wakes up as a machine. He is conscious that he’s inside a machine and doesn’t have a body. So how do you deal with that? Do you really want to be a robot and not have sex with your wife or hold your son? At a certain level, the movie poses the question, ‘What does it mean to be a man?’ So it’s not your usual superhero movie: Kids want to be Spider-Man and Iron Man. They don’t want to be RoboCop. Not even Alex wants to be RoboCop! It’s more like Frankenstein than anything else.”

Padilha credits Verhoeven’s film with raising some of the issues he wanted to tackle in the remake, including the man-vs.-machine question and the potential automation of law enforcement in the near future. “The original RoboCop is very courageous and ahead of its time, the way it poses real issues in the context of an action movie. And we kept its satirical element, too. Remember those amazing, ironic corporate ads in the original film? Instead of using ads, we replaced them with the media. Samuel L. Jackson plays an over-the-top right-wing commentator on a Fox News-like network who is in favor of using drones in the U.S. That character captures what’s going on in America right now, with the two political parties having very little common ground and the media reflecting that division.”

On the other hand, the remake’s incorporation of the drone debate is unique to this era and is an issue that Padilha specifically wanted to address. “Whenever you open a newspaper, there's a big article about drones and the Obama government is being criticized about its use of drones over and over again. It's a very sophisticated debate that Americans will have to deal with because of the position the country has in the world and the technological advances of autonomous machines. There are arguments in favor and against, because you can theoretically program a robot with the values of your society and the robot can then reinforce the law without any bias or the possibility of corruption. So that’s an argument in favor of automating war and law enforcement, but there are also plenty against, the main one being that you cannot automate emotions and feelings and those things are needed for real policemen [or soldiers] to make a proper evaluation. Also, liability goes out the window because once a robot pulls the trigger and makes a mistake by killing a kid or something, who is to blame? Is it the robot? How do you punish a robot? Do you punish the guy who made the software or the guy who made the machine? Liability and accountability go out the window.”

Beyond his own interest in the subject, Padilha put drones front and center in RoboCop in the hopes of encouraging a broad American audience to ponder an issue that will continue to loom large in the country’s relationship with the international community for years to come. “Being a foreigner and a foreigner who really loves America, I always see the country’s foreign policy in a different light, because those of us who live outside the U.S. see the interference America does in other countries. If I look at a presidential election in Brazil, there are never any debates about us invading any other country. There's just no conversation about that. But America, because of its position in the world, those issues are always involved. I'm not saying it’s a good or a bad thing—it's just a thing. So I wanted to make a movie that talked about that, a movie that has a basic political debate being pushed and which has a philosophical side to it, because those issues are philosophical. In fact, some of the characters in the movie—like Sellars—are named after famous philosophers.”

Lest you think this version of RoboCop will consist largely of the title character debating philosophy rather than hunting down bad guys, Padilha is quick to add that his movie packs plenty of firepower. “I like to make movies that are entertaining and will reach a broad audience. But I also figure that if I’m going to spend two or three years of my life doing something, which is how long a movie this big takes these days, I want to make something that’s meaningful. Both of the Elite Squad films are very political, but they were also blockbusters in Brazil, so we wrote a screenplay for RoboCop that tries to do the same thing: Be a very popular movie that at the same time explores issues we care about.”

Fans of the rugged, kinetic action sequences in the Elite Squad films will likely recognize Padilha’s touch in RoboCop’s set-pieces, as the director says that he tried to retain some of that handheld documentary feel (inherited from his time working in the nonfiction realm, where he helmed such features as 2002’s acclaimed Bus 174), even with the new addition of elaborate special effects. “The visual effects were new for me, but to tell you the truth, I shot it [the way I wanted] and then gave the problem to the visual effects department to solve. And they did! I didn't do exactly the Elite Squad thing, because this is a different movie so I made some adaptations, but I remained true to the way I like shooting those kinds of scenes.”

RoboCop does differ from the Elite Squad movies in at least one key respect: Compared to their jaded presentation of a law-enforcement system riddled with corruption and abuses of power, RoboCop’s depiction of an embattled police department sounds positively sunny—even if it takes place in a dystopic version of near-future America. According to Padilha, that’s reflective of a fundamental difference between Brazilian and American methods of policing. “Let me put it this way: Every year in Rio de Janeiro, about 1,000 people are killed by the police. Meanwhile, in the U.S., the police kill about 200 people. I’m not saying the American police are perfect, but compared to Brazil, it’s so much better. We are corrupt, we are violent and we use torture over and over again. It’s unbelievable what happens in Rio. There’s a tradition of American movies about vigilantes—we don’t have that in Brazil, because I don’t see what a vigilante could do in Brazil that would make him more violent than the police! It just wouldn’t make any sense.”

Along with the bigger budgets and new technological toys that are part of joining the Hollywood blockbuster enterprise, Padilha has also had to adapt to the intense scrutiny that accompanies remaking a much-loved hit. The new RoboCop has been a regular topic of Internet movie board conversation since the project was first announced, and the (mostly negative) comments reached a crescendo when photos of the new suit—an all-black affair instead of the well-known silver ensemble that adorned the poster for the ’87 film—circulated online. Although Padilha says he doesn’t pay much attention to the chattering Web classes, he does hope that the skeptics withhold their judgments until February. “It’s hard for anyone outside a movie to judge what that that movie is. A director creates a certain universe and story and character, which have to be internally coherent and have their own dramatic reality inside the story. There’s been a lot of talk about the black suit, but that’s talk from people who haven’t seen the movie. Once they see it, they’ll see that the black suit isn’t exactly what they think it is—there’s more than one suit in the movie. Having said that, I think it’s fun that people are scrutinizing the movie, because it generates interest and once they see it, they can have an informed opinion about it and say what they really think. I just try to make the best movie I can for myself and put it out there. Once it’s out there, it has a life of its own and people are entitled to think whatever they want.”

As he prepares to put the finishing touches on RoboCop, Padilha is already planning a pair of follow-up projects that could keep him ensconced in the American studio system for some time. The first is Brotherhood, a true-crime movie he’s developing with Warner Bros., and the other is Tri-Border, an original screenplay he’s pitching to various studios about a DEA agent who journeys to the titular crime-ridden South American region where Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay bump up against each other.

One thing that’s not on his immediate radar is a second RoboCop 2 (Irvin Kershner directed the original—and widely lambasted—sequel in 1990), though he doesn’t rule that option out. “I made a closed movie—I shot RoboCop,” he says. “It’s its own thing, but you can do a sequel to it, no doubt about that. You can do a sequel to anything!” Sounds like he’s already learned one of the most important rules about making movies in Hollywood.

http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjour...es/movies/e3i15f109fa81840aac119458b3eb6f90d0

Thanks for posting. It's interesting about the black suit.

Does anyone know if that leaked "review" about the movie from a screening few months ago was legit eventually? I didnt read it I'm just curious if the things we see in trailers, tv spots and read in interviews confirm it was real.

Hey guys just as a heads up it's out early, can't wait to check this transfer out I've heard some great reviews.

Good incentive to see the remake too, I see.

‘RoboCop’ redux: Jose Padilha reboots the ’80s sci-fi tale of a cyber-lawman
Jan 6, 2014
-By Ethan Alter

Brazilian filmmaker José Padilha didn’t walk into his meet-and-greet with MGM expecting to emerge as the director of a rebooted RoboCop, the 1987 Paul Verhoeven hit that spawned an unlikely but lucrative franchise in the late ’80s and early ’90s. In fact, RoboCop wasn’t even one of the films the heads of MGM, president Jonathan Glickman and co-chairman and co-CEO Roger Birnbaum (who later departed the company in 2012), had on the agenda when they welcomed Padhila into their offices for a general meeting to see which in-development projects might be a good fit for the director behind two of Brazil’s biggest box-office hits, the cop thrillers Elite Squad and Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. But as Padhila politely listened to and declined the various films they pitched his way, his eyes drifted up to a framed poster of Verhoeven’s RoboCop—a film he adores—hanging on the wall of the office. Looking back at the executives, he promptly pitched a project of his own: “Why don’t we do RoboCop?”

This wasn’t as spur-of-the-moment of a suggestion as it might sound. Even though he hadn’t specifically met with MGM to sell them on the notion of a RoboCop remake (for one thing, he wasn’t certain that they still had the rights), Padilha already had a mental outline of what a new version of the Verhoeven film might look like. “I had a take on it before that meeting,” the 46-year-old filmmaker says, on the phone while scouting locations for an upcoming day-long shoot that will capture the final pieces he needs to complete the RoboCop remake he pitched to MGM roughly three years ago, which will finally arrive in theatres on Feb. 12, 2014, via Columbia Pictures. At the time, the studio was lukewarm to the idea, having already been through the development mill with a Darren Aronofsky-helmed RoboCop remake that ultimately went nowhere. “They said, ‘RoboCop again? What’s your take?’” Padilha remembers. And so the director spun them the following scenario: “We’re in 2026 or 2030 and the drone issue—using drones for warfare—has escalated. Now, drones are everywhere and they’re automated; they don’t need drone pilots, the drones make the decision whether or not to fire based on software. So, for the first time in history, we have autonomous machines waging war—except in America, because Americans wouldn’t accept a robot pulling the trigger. So they passed a law saying that in order for a law-enforcement entity to enforce life-and-death decisions, it had to consist of conscious human beings who know the value of human lives. Even though Americans are using drones everywhere else in the world, they can’t be used in America itself.”

Against this backdrop, Padhila’s pitch continued, the profit-minded drone manufacturer OmniCorp (a subsidiary of Omni Consumer Products or OCP, the rogue corporation from Verhoeven’s original) and its devious CEO Sellars (played by Michael Keaton) devise a unique end-run around the “no drones on home soil” stipulation. Namely, they’ll find a way to stick a flesh-and-blood man (at least part of one) inside one of their machines, thus claiming that the drone is a conscious human being…or close enough, anyway. They find their unwilling volunteer in the form of Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman, occupying the role originated by Peter Weller), a Detroit cop who is almost killed in an explosion and has his remaining organic parts transferred into a cutting-edge OmniCorp-manufactured cybernetic suit that patrols the Motor City streets as…RoboCop. Unlike his ’80s predecessor, though, this robotic cop is fully aware of his human identity as well as everything he’s lost since forcibly donning the suit, including his wife Clara (Abbie Cornish) and the ability to do such basic things as feeding himself.

“The thing about this version of RoboCop is that Alex doesn’t become RoboCop in a single leap,” Padilha explains. “He doesn’t die and wakes up as a machine. He is conscious that he’s inside a machine and doesn’t have a body. So how do you deal with that? Do you really want to be a robot and not have sex with your wife or hold your son? At a certain level, the movie poses the question, ‘What does it mean to be a man?’ So it’s not your usual superhero movie: Kids want to be Spider-Man and Iron Man. They don’t want to be RoboCop. Not even Alex wants to be RoboCop! It’s more like Frankenstein than anything else.”

Padilha credits Verhoeven’s film with raising some of the issues he wanted to tackle in the remake, including the man-vs.-machine question and the potential automation of law enforcement in the near future. “The original RoboCop is very courageous and ahead of its time, the way it poses real issues in the context of an action movie. And we kept its satirical element, too. Remember those amazing, ironic corporate ads in the original film? Instead of using ads, we replaced them with the media. Samuel L. Jackson plays an over-the-top right-wing commentator on a Fox News-like network who is in favor of using drones in the U.S. That character captures what’s going on in America right now, with the two political parties having very little common ground and the media reflecting that division.”

On the other hand, the remake’s incorporation of the drone debate is unique to this era and is an issue that Padilha specifically wanted to address. “Whenever you open a newspaper, there's a big article about drones and the Obama government is being criticized about its use of drones over and over again. It's a very sophisticated debate that Americans will have to deal with because of the position the country has in the world and the technological advances of autonomous machines. There are arguments in favor and against, because you can theoretically program a robot with the values of your society and the robot can then reinforce the law without any bias or the possibility of corruption. So that’s an argument in favor of automating war and law enforcement, but there are also plenty against, the main one being that you cannot automate emotions and feelings and those things are needed for real policemen [or soldiers] to make a proper evaluation. Also, liability goes out the window because once a robot pulls the trigger and makes a mistake by killing a kid or something, who is to blame? Is it the robot? How do you punish a robot? Do you punish the guy who made the software or the guy who made the machine? Liability and accountability go out the window.”

Beyond his own interest in the subject, Padilha put drones front and center in RoboCop in the hopes of encouraging a broad American audience to ponder an issue that will continue to loom large in the country’s relationship with the international community for years to come. “Being a foreigner and a foreigner who really loves America, I always see the country’s foreign policy in a different light, because those of us who live outside the U.S. see the interference America does in other countries. If I look at a presidential election in Brazil, there are never any debates about us invading any other country. There's just no conversation about that. But America, because of its position in the world, those issues are always involved. I'm not saying it’s a good or a bad thing—it's just a thing. So I wanted to make a movie that talked about that, a movie that has a basic political debate being pushed and which has a philosophical side to it, because those issues are philosophical. In fact, some of the characters in the movie—like Sellars—are named after famous philosophers.”

Lest you think this version of RoboCop will consist largely of the title character debating philosophy rather than hunting down bad guys, Padilha is quick to add that his movie packs plenty of firepower. “I like to make movies that are entertaining and will reach a broad audience. But I also figure that if I’m going to spend two or three years of my life doing something, which is how long a movie this big takes these days, I want to make something that’s meaningful. Both of the Elite Squad films are very political, but they were also blockbusters in Brazil, so we wrote a screenplay for RoboCop that tries to do the same thing: Be a very popular movie that at the same time explores issues we care about.”

Fans of the rugged, kinetic action sequences in the Elite Squad films will likely recognize Padilha’s touch in RoboCop’s set-pieces, as the director says that he tried to retain some of that handheld documentary feel (inherited from his time working in the nonfiction realm, where he helmed such features as 2002’s acclaimed Bus 174), even with the new addition of elaborate special effects. “The visual effects were new for me, but to tell you the truth, I shot it [the way I wanted] and then gave the problem to the visual effects department to solve. And they did! I didn't do exactly the Elite Squad thing, because this is a different movie so I made some adaptations, but I remained true to the way I like shooting those kinds of scenes.”

RoboCop does differ from the Elite Squad movies in at least one key respect: Compared to their jaded presentation of a law-enforcement system riddled with corruption and abuses of power, RoboCop’s depiction of an embattled police department sounds positively sunny—even if it takes place in a dystopic version of near-future America. According to Padilha, that’s reflective of a fundamental difference between Brazilian and American methods of policing. “Let me put it this way: Every year in Rio de Janeiro, about 1,000 people are killed by the police. Meanwhile, in the U.S., the police kill about 200 people. I’m not saying the American police are perfect, but compared to Brazil, it’s so much better. We are corrupt, we are violent and we use torture over and over again. It’s unbelievable what happens in Rio. There’s a tradition of American movies about vigilantes—we don’t have that in Brazil, because I don’t see what a vigilante could do in Brazil that would make him more violent than the police! It just wouldn’t make any sense.”

Along with the bigger budgets and new technological toys that are part of joining the Hollywood blockbuster enterprise, Padilha has also had to adapt to the intense scrutiny that accompanies remaking a much-loved hit. The new RoboCop has been a regular topic of Internet movie board conversation since the project was first announced, and the (mostly negative) comments reached a crescendo when photos of the new suit—an all-black affair instead of the well-known silver ensemble that adorned the poster for the ’87 film—circulated online. Although Padilha says he doesn’t pay much attention to the chattering Web classes, he does hope that the skeptics withhold their judgments until February. “It’s hard for anyone outside a movie to judge what that that movie is. A director creates a certain universe and story and character, which have to be internally coherent and have their own dramatic reality inside the story. There’s been a lot of talk about the black suit, but that’s talk from people who haven’t seen the movie. Once they see it, they’ll see that the black suit isn’t exactly what they think it is—there’s more than one suit in the movie. Having said that, I think it’s fun that people are scrutinizing the movie, because it generates interest and once they see it, they can have an informed opinion about it and say what they really think. I just try to make the best movie I can for myself and put it out there. Once it’s out there, it has a life of its own and people are entitled to think whatever they want.”

As he prepares to put the finishing touches on RoboCop, Padilha is already planning a pair of follow-up projects that could keep him ensconced in the American studio system for some time. The first is Brotherhood, a true-crime movie he’s developing with Warner Bros., and the other is Tri-Border, an original screenplay he’s pitching to various studios about a DEA agent who journeys to the titular crime-ridden South American region where Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay bump up against each other.

One thing that’s not on his immediate radar is a second RoboCop 2 (Irvin Kershner directed the original—and widely lambasted—sequel in 1990), though he doesn’t rule that option out. “I made a closed movie—I shot RoboCop,” he says. “It’s its own thing, but you can do a sequel to it, no doubt about that. You can do a sequel to anything!” Sounds like he’s already learned one of the most important rules about making movies in Hollywood.

http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjour...es/movies/e3i15f109fa81840aac119458b3eb6f90d0

Awesome interview. Going by what he said about drone warfare and the difference's between Rio's and America's police forces, the man really knows his stuff. Nice to have an opinion on those topics from someone who has been on the outside looking in.

Also interesting that re-adapting Robocop was his idea and not the studio executives. But it's nice to know that he genuinely wanted to make something meaningful and not just a cash grab.

Good incentive to see the remake too, I see.

Yeah, it is.

If they end up really liking the film, then the free ticket's a bonus. If they don't like it, then little-to-no money spent from their wallet.

It's a win-win situation.

Last edited:
Hey guys just as a heads up it's out early, can't wait to check this transfer out I've heard some great reviews.

Yea man, I'm gonna try and run to Best buy tonight and grab it. I'd have it already if not for the snow and temperatures here.

I'd suggest getting it this week too before best buy raises the price back up! It's regular price is 14.99.

I remain convinced that the black suit is part of the satire of this film.

That's awesome that the movie was his idea and not the studios.

I remain convinced that the black suit is part of the satire of this film.
Well after reading Padhila's statement above I'm almost 100% positive that it is, and as he said it's not what it seems so I think we might have the classic suit by the end of the film.

Well after reading Padhila's statement above I'm almost 100% positive that it is, and as he said it's not what it seems so I think we might have the classic suit by the end of the film.

Hmm perhaps, I do think there is more in store for us, but I wouldn't say that we will see a classic suit at the end. If there is a new suit it will be something we haven't seen before I'm sure. The black suit has really grown on me and I think people just need to see it in context to accept it. I would love some twist and surprises, but I just keep my expectations low.

Personally I think the black suit is badass, so I'm fine with whatever Route they take. the design could be much better, I hate the chest piece, but the red visor makes it. The mix of the red and blue sirens with the sleek black w/red visor is very nice, I'm not sure there would be any other way to make a modern looking RoboCop to be honest.

With today's technology and designs, having robo look like a mechanical 80s monster literally makes absolutely no sense. This was the way to go, sleek, monotone color and efficient. anyone who argues that is very blind. Like modern computers and cars!
mercedes-benz-amg-vision-gran-turismo-concept-2013-los-angeles-auto-show_100447086_l.jpg
Drones are a big issue too, for example amazon using delivery drones, and that's just scratching the surface.

You can have your opinion and all, but this is not a 1987 movie. I think the 1.0 suit is the closest we will get to a "classic" look.

oh damn! :wow:

guess i am gonna have to double dip then. any new extras on there besides just some added footage?

oh damn! :wow:

guess i am gonna have to double dip then. any new extras on there besides just some added footage?

Well it depends. You speak as if the unrated cut has "new footage" so you must not have seen it before? its the same cut thats been out for 10+ years. Just Adds in the extra silly violence haha. Im not sure if the previous blu ray was the uncut version because the picture quality was so poor I never bought it.

All of the extras are mostly from the DVD releases, like Flesh and Steel, Making of Robo etc, except one brand new Q&A That I think thats about 12 minutes or so.

its an absolute no brainer, especially if you intend on seeing The new Robo.

It's a 4k transfer and word has it that it's damn good. I just bought it for $8 bucks over at Amazon.

Dammit I should have bought it at Best Buy. It's out early and you get a free movie ticket. I'm cancelling my order.

Any news on how good the new transfer is though?

Its a 4K source and its very good. Think the recent Terminator Remaster, But for Robocop. There are some rough spots in the film, and a remaster can only do so much for the source material, but this is bound to be the best the film will ever look. The added in gore scenes still have lower quality to them though.

Remaster
58095tl.jpg

OLD Bluray
o97Q9uo.jpg

The resolution and image clarity is better in then the previous blu. It must be seen in person as the screenshots do not do it justice(do screencaps really do justice to any blu?) But you can see the color and framing are much improved over the last blu ray alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back