RoboCop Reboot - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
riddick's a cool character, probably more than diesel's toretto.

I would say Riddick is easily Diesel's best character so far. Torretto is okay, and I am looking forward to his Groot, but Riddick is Diesel's Terminator or Rambo for me.

It's very dark humor. The violence is the punch line. Much like the original Robocop. When he shoots the guy's crotch through that girl's dress. When Emil is all melted by acid then gets run down by Clarence. Stuff like that.

Nailed it. Robocop works on both the surface level as an effortless popcorn entertainment as well as working as a vicious satire of consumerism and greed. It's a great film.

I think the potential to make Riddick an great sci-fi anti-hero was there, but the two sequels flubbed that. It's been too long since we've had an iconic pulpy genre character in the vein of Snake Plissken or Mad Max

I think the potential to make Riddick an great sci-fi anti-hero was there, but the two sequels flubbed that. It's been too long since we've had an iconic pulpy genre character in the vein of Snake Plissken or Mad Max

I really dug Marion Snow in Lockout. Not an all-time classic, but a refreshing throwback to the antiheros we used to love.

Yes! Hell yes! It's the best B-action movie I've seen in yeeeears. Hell now I want to watch it again. So much fun. Great villains too. Terribly underrated.

In fairness the latest sequel had its work cut out with the budget being virtually halved just before shooting began. I think the next 1 or 2 movies will really help delve into the character and universe more.

I must admit though, despite liking Riddick 3 anyway, I find myself liking it more and more with repeat viewings. And the DC of COR is far superior to the TC.

I really dug Marion Snow in Lockout. Not an all-time classic, but a refreshing throwback to the antiheros we used to love.

While the movie itself wasnt that best, that character and Guy Pierce's portrayal of him was superb.

I get that they had budget issues, but they willfully chose to spend the first 30 minutes on unnecessary CGI garbage. Pitch Black was phenomenal in its simplicity. Was a throwback to sci-fi horror movies like Alien and The Abyss. The second two were just Diesel's "I love me" movies. Doesn't mean they are unwatchable or unlikable, but they're so far removed from PB they might as well call the character by another name.

aww man plissken, mad max, robocop....the 80s gave us lot of cool iconic movie badasses.

and i've heard good thngs about lockout, the trailer seem like a throwback to escape from new york, but further into the future.

It is. It's not a good bad-movie. It's just, good. It fully embraces the campiness, violence and scope of 80s action flicks. And look what happened. No one saw it. This is why we get remakes. The GA would rather have a mediocre familiar property than an original one any day of the week.

EDIt: While you're at it, go watch Premium Rush with Joseph Gordon Leviit. It's a throwback to the early 90s

EDIt: While you're at it, go watch Premium Rush with Joseph Gordon Leviit. It's a throwback to the early 90s

Michael Shannon's performance is unsung comedic genius in that movie. His instincts for laughs are dead on.

Michael Shannon's performance is unsung comedic genius in that movie. His instincts for laughs are dead on.

Oh yeah man. Especially since he's written to be the only character aware of the ridiculousness of having a bike chase through NYC. He keeps making fun of it. Such a damn good role. That guy has so much range

Any chance of an Unrated Cut when it comes to home release?

Not unheard of but I'd say it's doubtful. Once you see the movie you'll understand why.

Darn right. I'd love to see him star in a new Tarantino movie or something comedy related so that he can show how funny he truly is. I loved the video he did for Funny or Die, reading some chick's insane sorority letter. Too funny (I wish I could post it myself here, but it does contain some very foul language). :woot:

Well said.

Somewhat on topic, somewhat off: I have to give the Dredd reboot credit. It was better than the Stallone / Schneider vehicle by a mile. It wasn't trying to be something more. It was a movie about an ultraviolent psychopath with a badge, hunting even worse psychopaths.

Typically though, yeah reboots are the worst for most Hollywood properties.

Dredd isn't a psychopath. He doesn't enjoy killing people. He's just a robot (not literally). But by the end of the Dredd film he showed some humanity, by passing Anderson even though she technically failed.

Oh and Lockout is awesome. Who would have thought that the psycho northern dude was once on Coronation Street lol.

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding the term psychopath. It means the combination of severe antisocial tendencies, general lack of empathy and compulsive bold behavior with no remorse. It's a personality aspect, not an all-encompassing persona. Judge Dredd definitely falls into that category.

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding the term psychopath. It means the combination of severe antisocial tendencies, general lack of empathy and compulsive bold behavior with no remorse. It's a personality aspect, not an all-encompassing persona. Judge Dredd definitely falls into that category.

He has a lack of empathy and no remorse for criminals sure. It's more he views everything in black and white than being a psychopath i think. He was cloned that way. It's hinted at at the start of Dredd when Anderson is reading his mind. And towards the end his views aren't as black and white. Unfortunately we'll never see it develop.

Oh and Lockout is awesome. Who would have thought that the psycho northern dude was once on Coronation Street lol.

Don't they have an Unrated cut of Lockout? I saw it on TV once and was disappointed with it being PG-13 (felt like it should have been R-rated for sure).

He has a lack of empathy and no remorse for criminals sure. It's more he views everything in black and white than being a psychopath i think. He was cloned that way. It's hinted at at the start of Dredd when Anderson is reading his mind. And towards the end his views aren't as black and white. Unfortunately we'll never see it develop.

Like I said, the term psychopath is something people regularly apply wrong because of overly theatrical representations in film.

"a person with a psychopathic personality, which manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/psychopath

There's a huge difference between a "psychopath" and a "deranged psychopath" (which is what movies usually show). Dredd definitely exhibits psychopathic behavior. Not 100% of the time, but a solid 90%.

EDIT: If you've watched The Sopranos, you'll see the best cinematic/TV representation of a psychopath: Tony. His treatment for his psychopathic behavior (not psychotic, that's something else entirely) is one of the main aspects of the show (his therapy)

Last edited:
Don't they have an Unrated cut of Lockout? I saw it on TV once and was disappointed with it being PG-13 (felt like it should have been R-rated for sure).

It's a hard-R movie. Don't trust TV edits. They make stuff like Se7en and Fight club PG-13 haha

Wtf is this thread.

Back on topic, Michael Keaton is scheduled for tonight's David Letterman show. Keaton does not do publicity often so let's hit this up.

RoboCop Talk Show Circuit

Thursday, February 6 

David Letterman: Michael Keaton

Monday, February 10

Jimmy Kimmel: Joel Kinnaman

Tuesday, February 11

Jimmy Kimmel: Gary Oldman 
Conan O’Brien: Joel Kinnaman

Wednesday, February 12 

Jon Stewart: Joel Kinnaman
Jimmy Kimmel: Abbie Cornish 

Craig Ferguson: Aimee Garcia