RoboCop Reboot - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got the idea that Dredd was an ultra-violent psychopath. In fact, the exact opposite. Especially with the corrupt Judges to compare him to.

Personally I really enjoy both Dredd movies for different reasons, and I am very hopeful that I will like this in the same way as the original Robocop, two different films based on similar story and character material but done with their own style.

The first Dredd film is horrible. The first Robocop is a legit classic. There is very different ground here.

and also dredd has a fairly long history of source material from the comics. and i think the new movie was based off those more.

robocop was just the first movie.
oddly enough, robocop was based off the judge dredd comics.

The first Dredd film is horrible. The first Robocop is a legit classic. There is very different ground here.
In your opinion it is, I quite enjoy it myself as a good bad movie, so for me no the ground is no different.

In your opinion it is, I quite enjoy it myself as a good bad movie, so for me no the ground is no different.
You enjoy it for being bad. Is that what you enjoy about Robocop as well? If not, yes different ground.

Judge Dredd is such a terrible movie, such a terrible adaptation, but such a guilty pleasure movie of mine. I don't like it but I don't hate it, sometimes I can simply enjoy it for what it is. The thing is it has all the fantastical elements of the comics, and for that I give it props. On everything else it misses its mark though. Hence the guilty pleasure moniker.

Honestly I doubt I'll watch the new Robocop movie again unless I have to. It's not bad enough to be a good-bad movie.

You enjoy it for being bad. Is that what you enjoy about Robocop as well? If not, yes different ground.
It doesn't matter wether my enjoyment was from it being a bad fun corny action flick, or if it was from being an smart ultra-violent political savvy action film, enjoyment is enjoyment to me, maybe you have an enjoyment chart in your head for yourself but I myself sir do not.

This again is based on my enjoyment of the films alone, not quality.

Judge Dredd is such a terrible movie, such a terrible adaptation, but such a guilty pleasure movie of mine. I don't like it but I don't hate it, sometimes I can simply enjoy it for what it is. The thing is it has all the fantastical elements of the comics, and for that I give it props. On everything else it misses its mark though. Hence the guilty pleasure moniker.

Honestly I doubt I'll watch the new Robocop movie again unless I have to. It's not bad enough to be a good-bad movie.
I can not watch Judge Dredd. I know I have before. My family swears we watched it when I was a kid, but since I have tried to watch it 2. Couldn't finish it. Still like the Law meme however.

It doesn't matter wether my enjoyment was from it being a bad fun corny action flick, or if it was from being an smart ultra-violent political savvy action film, enjoyment is enjoyment to me, maybe you have an enjoyment chart in your head for yourself but I myself sir do not.

This again is based on my enjoyment of the films alone, not quality.
In the idea that I presented, yes it is different.

And it is not really a chart, I am just honest with myself. Like the fact that I have watched King Arthur and Domino each probably 10 times because Keira Knightley is in them. Though Domino does have a few bright spots. :funny:

Ditto. But not by much. One more minute of slow motion and I would lost my mind
They only time the slow mo got to me was the final confrontation. It is a little too much and a consequence of tying it to the drug.

I can not watch Judge Dredd. I know I have before. My family swears we watched it when I was a kid, but since I have tried to watch it 2. Couldn't finish it. Still like the Law meme however.

I hadn't watched it in, what? 13 years? But they sent me the blu-ray to review last year when it was released and i found it to be one of those movies I like to put on when I'm doing a bunch of other stuff. Then I can jump in on the few parts I like (Cursed Earth mostly).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's better now than it was when it came out. It's just more enjoyable in a good-bad genre movie way. Like The Phantom.

I hadn't watched it in, what? 13 years? But they sent me the blu-ray to review last year when it was released and i found it to be one of those movies I like to put on when I'm doing a bunch of other stuff. Then I can jump in on the few parts I like (Cursed Earth mostly).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's better now than it was when it came out. It's just more enjoyable in a good-bad genre movie way. Like The Phantom.
Yeah, I completely get it. The Phantom is a good shout in that regard, though I haven't seen it in years.

I like both Dredd movies but they are seriously not comparable.

Judge Dredd is a "light" Hollywood movie. An action-comedy really. It's heavier on the action than comedy but it's still a lot lighter than Dredd.

Dredd is a more serious dark action movie. It doesn't play up anything for laughs. People die horrible deaths. It's unrelenting and it is ultra-violent. There are no love stories, no gags and definitely no comedian side-kicks to lighten the tone.

Robocop and it's remake I think are closer in tone. The original is a dark satire to be sure and it has elements of comedy but the remake is meant to be lighter in tone but lacking in the satire and darker comedy of the original.

Judge Dredd ---> A comic that spurned a franchise that spurned a movie that eventually spurned a reboot in the hopes of revitalizing the franchise

RoboCop ---> A movie that spurned a franchise that spurned a film series that eventually spurned a reboot in the hopes of revitalizing the franchise

This remake doesn't have to impress me overly much to become my second favorite RoboCop film. I find both 2 and 3 to be terrible in their own different ways.

yea, i think the sequels really set the bar low for this remake.
it probably won't be as good as the first one, but if it's a lot better than the sequels than that counts as a win.

My true hope is that the film will do well enough financially and with fans to spawn a new franchise, I could see many awesome directors wanting to take a shot at directing a Robocop film.

yea, like what u see happening with captain america movies now.

the first movie was ok, but now the sequel coming out looks really badass, and word on the street is that it will be awesome.

Dredd is a more serious dark action movie. It doesn't play up anything for laughs.

I strongly disagree. Dredd isn't looking to make every act of violence a tragedy. It flat out goes for cheers and darkly comic laughs frequently. It's wise enough to let the violence matter, so that there are real stakes for our characters, but it isn't Saving Private Ryan either. A man having his head burnt by an incendiary round is played as a punch line within the first 10 minutes for godsake.

I strongly disagree. Dredd isn't looking to make every act of violence a tragedy. It flat out goes for cheers and darkly comic laughs frequently. It's wise enough to let the violence matter, so that there are real stakes for our characters, but it isn't Saving Private Ryan either. A man having his head burnt by an incendiary round is played as a punch line within the first 10 minutes for godsake.

It's very dark humor. The violence is the punch line. Much like the original Robocop. When he shoots the guy's crotch through that girl's dress. When Emil is all melted by acid then gets run down by Clarence. Stuff like that.

You have no idea how much I agree with that bold statement. So many people don't get it, you're not supposed to agree with every review someone writes you're simply supposed to take the critical deconstruction and apply it to what you personally like or don't like.

And thanks :yay: glad to see I've done my part to help. Most people here who read my reviews just jump on my ass about the star rating I give something without even reading the review itself. The rating is window dressing. And ratings this day and age are useless since there's no standardized system.

Yes! I got actively annoyed when Roger Ebert died and everyone felt the need to preface their eulogies by saying "I didn't always agree with him but..." Of course not! That's missing the point of film criticism. My favorite film critics I don't always agree with either and that is not a deficiency on their part, but a valuable perspective. It's a good thing to be challenged by people who take film so seriously that they make it their life's work to watch and deconstruct it. Film criticism in it's best form challenges and deepens one's relationship with the medium.

Last edited:
Not such why praising Robocop means we have to insult Riddick but Riddick is a great character and I'm looking forward to more.

G.I. was trash though. I don't know how they finally got the look right for Cobra Commander yet made him completely generic.

I skimmed through the Robocop score the other day, also completely generic.

Same here, love the Riddick character personally. Glad to see so many liking the new Robocop though, I am going to see it tonight so will post a short review then or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"